• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SpokaneSteve

Booting up
Skier
Hello all:

This year I am hoping to progress my carving - high angle skiing. Two years ago I went to Bachelor with my oldest son and borrowed a friends Rossi Pursuit ski (the 800 HPI ---I think). Skiing corn snow with that ski was a bit of a revelation! Since then I have been looking to get that dynamic energetic "railed" feel into my skiing.

This would be part of a 3 ski quiver (80mm-ish do-everthing (currently RTM 84 UVO), and a 100mm-ish powder/soft snow ski).

So this can be fairly specialized BUT I would prefer if were at least capable of getting through some bumps on occasion. I don't understand why so many reviewers note that some carving skis can't go in the bumps at all. There must be some design conflict between the two styles of skiing...

I don't need the absolute latest and greatest. Something from the last year or two that I can find on clearance or used would be great.

Thanks much.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Head Supershapes iRally and iMagnum for years have been the reference skis in this category...IMHO the sleeper is the K2 Super Charger and Turbo Chargers. Another favorite for it's smoothness is the Dynastar SpeedZone 12. All of these skis have been out for a few season and leftovers and used ones can be found.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
How big are you (hight, wieght), what's your ability level, roughly? How agressive do you (want to) ski? How fast? Some people carev at maniac mach speeds, some people leave a bit mor civilized at human speeds. I'm sure there's a ski for everyone. But what kind of skier are you?

There's no point in mentioning any ski unless we have some more info on you.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Head Supershapes iRally and iMagnum for years have been the reference skis in this category.

Hard to argue with the Supershapes. My Titans are fun in bumps, though I'm sure there are better bump-specific skis. Since you already own an 84, the Rally or Magnum as Phil notes would be perfect.

Tons of good reviews on this site. Realskiers is also a good pay-to-play resource. They know and love carvers!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hard to argue with the Supershapes. My Titans are fun in bumps, though I'm sure there are better bump-specific skis. Since you already own an 84, the Rally or Magnum as Phil notes would be perfect.

Tons of good reviews on this site. Realskiers is also a good pay-to-play resource. They know and love carvers!
Sure, you can pay..or get to communicate with the reviewers here through interactive reviews here for free. ;)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have didn't ski the Fischer Curv at the '18 SIA but really liked it when I did (the year it was introduced). Fast and capable on the hardpack. Easy to adjust turn shape.

Doug Briggs' 2019 Thumbnail Reviews: 75-95mm Frontside Skis

I really liked the Stockli Laser AX and SX, the Rossignol Hero Elite MT Ti and Head V-Shape V8 in the category you are looking for: high edge angle carving. They are all a bit wider than race skis so also can adjust to be more forgiving.

TS
S

SpokaneSteve

Booting up
Skier
How big are you (hight, wieght), what's your ability level, roughly? How agressive do you (want to) ski? How fast? Some people carev at maniac mach speeds, some people leave a bit mor civilized at human speeds. I'm sure there's a ski for everyone. But what kind of skier are you?

There's no point in mentioning any ski unless we have some more info on you.

I am 5'10" and about 165 pounds, I am a pretty good skier (somewhere between advanced and expert I would estimate - usually the best technical skier in any group I am skiing with). I tend to like to make more turns rather than less and rarely like to charge at warp speeds - 25-30 MPH is usually my top end speed wise.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
6' 165 and give ya a +1 on the k2 turbochargers.. Added them to my quiver last year and they're a ton of fun. Works fine at the speeds you're skiing.. and can handle opening up of you get sick of mad turns and want to straight line for a bit.. only difficult bit.. finding someone who sells them.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Love the Head iRally! I can and have taken it all over the mountain, born to turn it’ll lay down trenches and although it has a 13M radius you can still make nice GS turns with it. Its nimbleness makes for a decent bump ski, although a word of caution, it is not a particularly forgiving ski, it needs to be driven. Load the ski and it will respond with a lot energy!

Keep in mind any ski will carve, even the beat up rentals, just as any ski will skid, ski’s like the iRally just do it better with the correct inputs. Demo some and others, like the Fischer Curve, others in the Head Super Shape family or even a ski like the Kore and see how they work for you, for better or worse there is a lot to choose from!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
First things first... I'm an advancing intermediate, 6', 215 lbs.

I demo'ed the Head iTitan, Dynastar Speedzone 12Ti, and Stockli Laser SC all on the same day last season on hardpack (no bumps)... they finished in this order for me :
  1. Stockli Laser SC
  2. Dynastar Speedzone
  3. Head iTitan
I bought the Stockli later in the season... but the Dynastar was great too. The Head was so-so. I think I should have tried a shorter Head... I was on the 177 and I don't think they had a 170.

I got on an iRally the next day in 170, on groom and small bumps and really liked it too, a lot more than the Titans.

I guess I'm saying you almost can't go wrong, and demo if you can.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like Fischer Progessors. A google search should find some NOS at good prices, which is how I got my two year old 950's/

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So this can be fairly specialized BUT I would prefer if were at least capable of getting through some bumps on occasion. I don't understand why so many reviewers note that some carving skis can't go in the bumps at all. There must be some design conflict between the two styles of skiing...

In essence, bump skiing needs strong rotary movements. You want a ski that can be pivoted easily. A carving ski can lock you into a turn and a trajectory that goes through a lot of 3D features you would prefer to, or need, to avoid. Note that this is not a big issue in soft bumps which can be cut across. But hard bumps require negotiating your trajectory.

Last year I was looking for a ski that rewards and encourages good carving technique but with some forgiveness too have some versatility. I wound up on the Rallies 170cm and I love them. I took them everywhere. I skied all 27 days of the season on them, in all sorts of conditions. But I am not advanced, let alone expert. You might be ready for something more technical, like a real race ski. Just be careful the first time you get in bumps. Work your way up with those. Cheers!

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Face it, you are discriminating enough that you are building a quiver of skis.
Once you accept that fact your choices get easier.
You can continue looking for a magic can opener that is good at both carving and bumps.
Or you can get skis that really reward the pilot when used within their intended performance range.
Some of these in 165 will keep you amused for many seasons.
https://www.fischersports.com/rc4-worldcup-sc-131?c=160

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Hello all:

This year I am hoping to progress my carving - high angle skiing. Two years ago I went to Bachelor with my oldest son and borrowed a friends Rossi Pursuit ski (the 800 HPI ---I think). Skiing corn snow with that ski was a bit of a revelation! Since then I have been looking to get that dynamic energetic "railed" feel into my skiing.

This would be part of a 3 ski quiver (80mm-ish do-everthing (currently RTM 84 UVO), and a 100mm-ish powder/soft snow ski).

I don't need the absolute latest and greatest. Something from the last year or two that I can find on clearance or used would be great.

Thanks much.
The problem with carving skis for bumps is the carving ski is designed to provide enough grip for high-g-force turns at their design speed (SL race speeds for 13 m skis, GS racing speeds for 18 to 35 m skis). As such they are stiffer than ideal for bumps, both along their length and in torsion. Add to that that your would tune your carving ski with a 0.5 base, three side to maximize quick response and grip, but your bump ski with a 1 base two side to make it easier to modulate sideways slippage. The bump ski is easier to make the traditional short radius turns with, which is not a locked in arc-2-arc carve. It has more flex in the edges, and bends easier to adopt to the snow surface. The carving ski might just bridge the bumps with the ski not touching the ice/snow at the bottom of the trough. Also good bump skis tend to have a slightly longer turn radii, so they are more likely to slide sideways than hook into an arc. Fortunately carving skis are usually short enough that their length makes them easier to manage in bumps.

It's not that the carving skis make bump skiing horrible, it's just that they are not ideal for it. If you really want a bump ski pick up an old one for cheap, to accompany your carving ski.

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
First things first... I'm an advancing intermediate, 6', 215 lbs.

I demo'ed the Head iTitan, Dynastar Speedzone 12Ti, and Stockli Laser SC all on the same day last season on hardpack (no bumps)... they finished in this order for me :
  1. Stockli Laser SC
  2. Dynastar Speedzone
  3. Head iTitan
I bought the Stockli later in the season... but the Dynastar was great too. The Head was so-so....

I've demoed the Stockli SC a couple of times and have a pair of the Speedzone 14s. They essentially have the same specs on paper, and they're both great skis. I'd say the Stocklis are super smooth and solid, the Dynastars have a bit more pop.

As to whether these can go in bumps, yeah, they can go like hell in the bumps and don't let anybody scare you off. In full disclosure, the Speedzones are my "fat" skis as my other skis are FIS SL and GS boards, and I think carving skis are way, way underappreciated. And I agree generally with the caveats of Dakine and Francois, above, but I think your question is more asking whether a carving ski can be serviceable in the bumps, not whether it is optimal. To which I would say you bet, and they're pretty fun in powder, and they absolutely rip on groomers and ice.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online