• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

hydrofoam

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm looking for a pair of skis and debating between these two. I'll mostly be on groomers and ski in Tahoe.

2020 Atomic Redster X7 WB
2021 Head V-Shape V6

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm looking for a pair of skis and debating between these two. I'll mostly be on groomers and ski in Tahoe.

2021 Head V-Shape V6
Welcome! What's your height, weight, skill level? I've been on the X9 WB and the V8 and liked them both a lot. I'm 5'10" and about 220#. I would think the V6 might be a bit "whimpy" if you're a bigger or stronger skier.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier

2021 Head V-Shape V6
Demoed the Atomic X9 WB @168cm at end of ski season...really really enjoyed them. I was told by the Atomic Rep that the X7 WB was even easier. Turn Initiation on the X9WB was easy and they felt very stable at speed. :thumb::thumb:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Demoed the Atomic X9 WB @168cm at end of ski season...really really enjoyed them. I was told by the Atomic Rep that the X7 WB was even easier. Turn Initiation on the X9WB was easy and they felt very stable at speed. :thumb::thumb:

It is - much easier, but also much less crudbusty.

Up and over with a quiver instead of through, steady, ready.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Both those pair are too weak for you, even if you are a beginner, your weight requires the ski be able to spread your weight to the tips and tails and to exert more force to turn you. If you are a beginner consider V8 or V10 or X9. If you are advanced, consider something like Head i Rally or Magnum, or maybe something wider, but at the same level as Head i Rally or Magnum if Tahoe snow is as soft as I think it is (never been there).

TS
H

hydrofoam

Skier
I just took a look at the V8 and V10 and see that the Tip/Tail/Waist for the V8 is 130/75/112mm and v10 is 139/85/121.

I currently have the 2020 Volkl Mantra M5 that has a waist of 96. I feel like if I get the V10 it's not far off from my current ski but with my weight into consideration the V10 may be better. Is this a fair conclusion?

Also, Peter Glenn has it in stock but never heard of them before. Didn't find a whole lot searching the forums. Are they reputable?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just took a look at the V8 and V10 and see that the Tip/Tail/Waist for the V8 is 130/75/112mm and v10 is 139/85/121.

I currently have the 2020 Volkl Mantra M5 that has a waist of 96. I feel like if I get the V10 it's not far off from my current ski but with my weight into consideration the V10 may be better. Is this a fair conclusion?

Also, Peter Glenn has it in stock but never heard of them before. Didn't find a whole lot searching the forums. Are they reputable?
Even though the waists are only 11mm different, the mannerisms are worlds apart. When you get a chance read.... The Numbers Game Skis, Part 1 Here are reviews of the V10 and V8

Peter Glenn is a very reputable shop.

TS
H

hydrofoam

Skier
Even though the waists are only 11mm different, the mannerisms are worlds apart. When you get a chance read.... The Numbers Game Skis, Part 1 Here are reviews of the V10 and V8

Peter Glenn is a very reputable shop.

Thanks! Looks like I'll go with the V10!

Also thanks to everyone that provided advice/input!

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier

I currently have the 2020 Völkl Mantra M5 that has a waist of 96. I feel like if I get the V10 it's not far off from my current ski but with my weight into consideration the V10 may be better. Is this a fair conclusion?

Peter Glenn has been on line for years. I've ordered many things from them over time there not my first go to, I always check their prices for ski gear. I have purchases sale items for my grand kids (coats and things go on pretty good sales in off season) an snow board gear for a daughter-in-law. I purchased a few things myself over the years. Always excellent experiences.

Sponsor

Staff online