• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marten

Booting up
Skier
Is there any race coach that have experience of digital coaching devices? Like CARV https://getcarv.com/ or Snowcookie https://snowcookiesports.com/

Is there any use of them in race coaching? Is there relevant data for racers? I find that type of gadgets interesting, it could be helpful in the future. I have not tried them, but it seams thet the data they collect are more relevant for an recreational skier than a racer?

I know that the Norwegian national team use a lot of different devices, GPS, and so on. But that is on a higher level. The have a science team with them during camps that work with the data every afternoon, before presenting it for the racers after dinner, together with the video. Their director of sport science, dr Robert Reid, have helped Svindal and the other Attacking Vikings from Norway to perform better. Like the start in speed events.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That was cool. Seems there are 4 episodes, and that's number 4. Here are the other 3:

Also - here are a couple of reference threads on CARV and Snow Cookie:

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Most the race coaches I know (inc. the WC) use video and timing. Seen some stuff with force plates in boots and various data collection devices but video and timing is all that is required (even timing is debatable unless using it for a specific reason or for things the eye just can’t pick up).

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if I could take all the things it would say.................such as "find a new hobby" or "don't bother racing, just go to the bar".

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would be wary of having racers learn to rely on other cues than what they'll have during a race...

Besides, these cues would need to be correlated to the gates and the terrain etc.

Video, timing - yes... and there's no replacement for a good coach!

Sponsor

Staff online