• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carriers, Roof or Hitch

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Another vote for a tray rack on the hitch.

I suppose this is a common feature these days, but the one I just got (used) had a screw in pin for the hitch so it stabilized the rack. It also uses an adaptor for the larger receiver so would work with a either size receiver. I found it to be solid.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A 48”x 40”x 38 fedex economy box costs $270 to ship from NY to MT. You could probably find other carriers to ship a couple pallets for less. That way you could ship some heavy nonessential items by freight and save a lot of headache stuffing your vehicles.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A 48”x 40”x 38 fedex economy box costs $270 to ship from NY to MT. You could probably find other carriers to ship a couple pallets for less. That way you could ship some heavy nonessential items by freight and save a lot of headache stuffing your vehicles.

Now that is thinking inside the box.

This thread reminded me of my move to CO. We rented a large U-Haul truck and a car carrier trailer. We were towing my '65 Falcon Coupe which we had loaded up with stuff. We even had a driver for it.

Falcon with 'driver'.jpg

He was a fright mask on a paper mache head and shoulders. The head was detachable so I could carry around 'my' head on Halloween.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Now that is thinking inside the box.

I must be getting old. I used to revel in changing a power steering line in my driveway in 20 degree weather. Now I pay the shop a few hundred and move on. A bike rack is usefull (must have for me) anyways so as long as it wouldn't drag on the ground that would be my first choice.

Out of the box would be to tie them to the roof of the box truck. Doubtfully anyone would climb up there to steal them. Forget uhauls rules.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you all - great advice.
3 weeks till we take off, I see some serious purging happening this month
Sell your mountain bikes before you move. Dollars are easy to pack, don't require a hitch / roof rack and can be used towards your new e-mountain bike. You know you want one.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
FWIW, my vote is for the hitch type bike rack.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep in mind that you're moving to an area where 80 mph freeway speeds are commonplace.

Roof racks spook me at those speeds.

As far as hitch racks, 1UP USA, Kuat, Yakima, Thule, Rocky Mount, it's hard to go wrong.

And Saris makes one that I'm fond of that sadly does NOT pivot downwards to allow for hatch opening, but it's light, reliable, and cheap.

And for gosh sakes, once you make the move, make sure to take the short drive west on I-90 to Homestake Pass and sample the Continental Divide Trail. Start with the portion that heads south, maybe 50 yards off the freeway.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Noticed this dudes rack, super aerodynamic !

bike-rack.jpg

An engineering analysis employing chaos theory would show the aerodynamic efficiency of this approach, since the random stacking of bikes would undoubtedly improve things in that regard by ensuring that flow is always in the turbulent region.

Sorry, carry on.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Any questions?

ca1917244fd649d2b29c0c323eb7073b.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

...Hitch racks are much better...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
As an engineer, I just want to know what type of magic did they use to load that! :eek:

The person who loaded this truck is a genius:

36370316_10155529412490812_3759752927116263424_n.jpg

Mad Skilzzz

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any questions?

View attachment 48900

:eek::eek::eek:

...Hitch racks are much better...

With my bike on the roof of my trusty old Saab 900 hatchback, I once stripped the fascia board off a bank drive-through upon exiting.

The seat barely nicked it, and pulled the whole 20 foot long board off.

I'd been through there countless times after carefully ensuring that I had an inch of clearance.

Turned out they replaced the board, and the new one (obviously) hung down a little further!

TS
BS Slarver

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Update:
Went for the Kuat NV 2.0 after finding a great deal with etrailer. Only after putting it in the cart did the price drop below the comparable Thule pro.
All my new neighbors have them and it seem to be the tray rack of choice here. Seeing how it has a built in bike clamp for road side or garage repairs it eliminates the need for an additional repair stand.
Now I just have to find the bikes buried deep in the U Maul :roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Seeing how it has a built in bike clamp for road side or garage repairs it eliminates the need for an additional repair stand.

I didn't know that! Super cool.