• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

snofun3

Putting on skis
Skier
While the "cheaper off-airport" mantra is USUALLY true, I rented from Budget in SLC off airport last season as the price on the website was the best I could find. So I went to Budget Car and Truck Rental of Utah Car Rental, 235 W 500th S, Salt Lake City, UT 8410, and got bombarded by a million questions that were all on my Budget profile. They got to "what's the second number we can contact you at", and things got nasty.

They went through all the charges, and finally said, "and oh, we charge airport fees". I looked blank and said - "huh, I just spent $20 on a taxi to get here from the airport, and I have this quote from Budget that gives me a total and final price, and there aren't any airport fees".

We went around a few times, and knowing this was a scam I wouldn't win, just took the car, knowing I'd dispute it with AMEX on the way out. When returning the car, same scam. Eventually I said fine, remembering my AMEX relationship, and went to the airport.

At the airport, I went to the Budget desk and they rolled their eyes and said something about "that joint of scam artist franchisees". They quickly redid the bill without any airport fees, and gave me another 10% off for the bother.

Budget at Vancouver airport is also notorious (where's an Epic thread when you need it), so avoid them like the plague too.

Bottom line - check Yelp and see what the feedback is. In the case of that rental outfit, all you need to do is read the reviews to see you're going to get screwed.

Also, being a premier member (I'm Hertz President's Circle) doesn't necessarily mean much. At the SLC airport Hertz I had rented a Pathfinder and when I got there, there was a Kia in my spot. I asked about it and only got a shrug "they're in the same catagory". Thankfully I know someone at that location since being there many times and she took care of it, but Hertz is about the worst in taking care of their highest loyalty customers, so don't necessarily expect much.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Rental car places don't buy snow tires. It's simple treadware $s math. Not only do the snows wear down quicker in most driving conditions outside of full blizzard, the rental places don't need the hassle of swapping them out every time the season changes.. which can happen more often when folks rent a one way from snow country to non snow country.

I've heard there are also issues of which franchise would own the tires, and how they would get matched back up.
You can tell just from looking at the key ring that car rental systems HATE having anything extra that needs to stay with the car. Why does the renter need three copies of the same key, all connected together?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I just booked my Xmas to Colorado flying in a day early to avoid a fairly egregious spike in rental car rates that kicks in Pre Xmas week. It's bizarre renting for an extra day makes it several hundred bucks cheaper - truly the season of ka-ching to all men.

I'm pretty firmly in the camp now of book a rental long time out (I use pre paid aggregators as I've found not having my own US car insurance means these are the best bang for buck) - then check up when you get emailed periodic promos including switching to a higher tier company if possible. Hertz aren't the cheapest but the service and state of the vehicles is better than their stablemates who inherit the 6 month old stock.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
For 2nd trip
5) One-way is going to be very expensive esp since you'll either have to pay a drop fee or a per-mile fee.
I think if you start looking 3weeks out you are going to be fine. Shorter than that, potential your rental will not be available or "sold out"

One way rentals between Cali and Nevada should be free. At least they have been the couple of times I've done it (Alamo and Dollar IIRC).

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Why does the renter need three copies of the same key, all connected together?

I've always just assumed that's so if you lose one, you lose all (and therefore have to pay the cost of an entire new ignition assembly) :doh:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had quite a few rental cars with couple of keys in a cable type key ring as shown below. The connector appears to be permanently crimped on. A simple twist of the cable ring into a figure eight will open the ring. I usually put the extra key into my own key ring as a back up. Reverse the procedure when I turn the car back in.

Key Ring - Cable.jpg

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Car reservation...I think there is still no penalty for cancelling a reservation. Make the reservation that looks best to you, then two or three days before your trip look again. If there are a surplus of cars one of the companies may offer a great deal on short notice.

This is typical of the Corporate locations. But be a little careful if you are renting from a franchised (mostly local) location, as there are reports that some franchised locations are applying a cancellation fee, especially if you are no-show, and not a formal cancel.

Why does the renter need three copies of the same key, all connected together?
I've always just assumed that's so if you lose one, you lose all (and therefore have to pay the cost of an entire new ignition assembly) :doh:

I think they can't trust to figure out where to store the spare keys, so better everything with the car just stays with the car. 1-way dropoffs or unexpected exchanges at another location, leads to logistical issues of reuniting the keys with car when it comes time to sell the vehicle off.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you can wait until last minute, book then. I've booked rental cars a few weeks out then happened to check price a day or two before my trip and see the car 50% cheaper. Did this twice in Denver. If there isn't huge demand for cars they will drop the prices considerably a couple days out.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have rented a Suburban several times in Colorado during the winter and it has worked great. Yeah, its a beast but thats not a bad thing on i70. It has great range (large gas tank plus not bad fuel economy) and handles snow great. Now that I live in Colorado im just so happy I dont have to rent :D

Lot's of great info has been given in previous posts. Real snow tires on a rental? I have never seen that, ever. The best I have seen are all terrain tires on rental trucks (pick-ups and SUVs)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I've asked many times, and as Ken_R says you just don't get snow tires on a rental in N.America.
All rental cars come with snow tires in winter in Hokkaido, and most of the snowier parts of Honshu.
That may or may not be a legal or industry group requirement.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had quite a few rental cars with couple of keys in a cable type key ring as shown below. The connector appears to be permanently crimped on. A simple twist of the cable ring into a figure eight will open the ring. I usually put the extra key into my own key ring as a back up. Reverse the procedure when I turn the car back in.

I wish this were the case...they normally look like this whenever I rent a car. And they're normally the BULKIEST of keys, just try to fit two of those keys into lady pants pockets. ugh.

pharsYv0U9c1QGgj-6NtS1I9c_M0eR6jhFc9WT2D2_8.jpg

EDIT: To actually answer the question at hand. I rent cars anywhere between 10 to 60 days in a year and always go thru National, never have had any complaints.

Gerry

aka GerryF
Skier
for the large keys that are cabled together.... my Leatherman does a good job of separating them. ;)

TS
Bigtinnie

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
So we've locked in a Nissan Armada through Hertz for 10 days pick up and drop off in Salt Lake - $700. This locks in 4wd. This includes damage waiver etc.

I'm reluctant to lock in the second leg (Reno to LA) just in case the Sierra have a shocker year - in that case we'll drive to Colorado.
Will I pay a lot more if I leave booking until a month out? It'll be mid January when we'll need the car.

Sponsor

Staff online