• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
I'm about to wade into the charade that is car rental for our January trip to your fine country. I've been through this bulls**t before but each time I find myself shaking my head in frustration.
We want a car for 11 days pick up and return from SLC. We want a 4wd with winter tyres. That's where the problems begin. We can get a Chev Suburban for $867 which I think is very reasonable but I would prefer not to drive something tank sized. A Hyundai Santa Fe sport would be perfect but they can't guarantee 4wd (these are also built as 2wd apparently).

Our second leg of the trip is more difficult as we hope to pick up a car in Reno and drop off in LA but we don't want to commit to that yet - we'll go to Colorado if the Sierra is having a bad snow year. Does anyone know if the rental prices will be a lot higher if we wait until about three weeks before needing the car to book?

Any tips on having a win in this game?
Thanks in advance.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1) Don't go with the lowest price vendor (e.g. using costco, expedia, hotwire etc)-especially if it locks your reservation and is not fully refundable. You often get what you pay for, often having to deal with large lines and a time suck.

2) Signup and enter your information when you make a reservation, so you at least show up as a member and treated slightly better.

3) Enterprise out of SLC tends to be OK for me. But because you are also for a longer rental, renting non-airport may have savings.

4) If they don't have a specific car out of SLC on the first day, you can also talk to them and bring the car back later on a subsequent day but it would be a new contract. Since you're past 1week, splitting the days into 2 contracts versus 1 contract should come out the same if you work out the split days.

5) SLC there are also shuttle options if it comes to it and you can get away with 2wd or an inferior SUV and just park at the park-and-ride at the base of the canyons.
You probably don't want to risk going up and getting snowed in even if you have a marginal 4wd rental.

6) Depending what you want to do, perhaps you don't do a rental car at all.

For 2nd trip
5) One-way is going to be very expensive esp since you'll either have to pay a drop fee or a per-mile fee.
I think if you start looking 3weeks out you are going to be fine. Shorter than that, potential your rental will not be available or "sold out"

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Regarding the one-way, apparently there are corporate rental offices and franchise rental offices for the same rental agency. It's apparently easier and cheaper to use a corporate office. Franchise sometimes won't even do the rental. Also, rates can be cheaper (much sometimes) if you use a rental location 10 mins from the airport. This is second-hand info from my better half who had to drive half of Canada annually for work. :D

TS
Bigtinnie

Bigtinnie

Skier
1) Don't go with the lowest price vendor (e.g. using costco, expedia, hotwire etc)-especially if it locks your reservation and is not fully refundable. You often get what you pay for, often having to deal with large lines and a time suck.

2) Signup and enter your information when you make a reservation, so you at least show up as a member and treated slightly better.

3) Enterprise out of SLC tends to be OK for me. But because you are also for a longer rental, renting non-airport may have savings.

4) If they don't have a specific car out of SLC on the first day, you can also talk to them and bring the car back later on a subsequent day but it would be a new contract. Since you're past 1week, splitting the days into 2 contracts versus 1 contract should come out the same if you work out the split days.

5) SLC there are also shuttle options if it comes to it and you can get away with 2wd or an inferior SUV and just park at the park-and-ride at the base of the canyons.
You probably don't want to risk going up and getting snowed in even if you have a marginal 4wd rental.

6) Depending what you want to do, perhaps you don't do a rental car at all.

For 2nd trip
5) One-way is going to be very expensive esp since you'll either have to pay a drop fee or a per-mile fee.
I think if you start looking 3weeks out you are going to be fine. Shorter than that, potential your rental will not be available or "sold out"
Thanks. Collecting from city is a lot cheaper than airport!
I'll look at the other suggestions.
We definitely need a car as we're heading to Jackson Hole for a few days.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Santa Fe is only AWD. I looked at buying one a few years ago. Good luck with the hunt! Chevy has gotten fuel efficient in the last few years. My Equinox is really good on gas. But only AWD.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i suppose at least for the SLC trip where it's roundtrip; you can also explore the "sharing economy", on turo.com and know exactly what vehicle you get. Just be aware of all the hazards and recourse by doing a deal with an individual versus with a company (e.g. they may flake out on you, or the car may break down).

There is also a specialized 4wd guarenteed ski-focused rental company out of SLC that i forgot the name, but when I priced it was far more expensive than a standard rental company.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just make sure you book on a non paid up front basis so you have one secured and then keep checking pricing for better deals Most rental companies will NOT guarantee a particular model, just the type, e.g. A 4wd SUV, so don't waste time worrying over it. If anyone does confirm a particular model, there is a 99% chance when you turn up it will be something different. One way rentals get expensive. Hertz charges 20 cents/ mile on one way rentals (even for presidents cllub☹️).. most of the second tier companies charge from $100- $250 o top for the one way rental. In a lot of cases only the airport locations will do one way rentals

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Try Priceline. I have seen really decent car rental (car hire) rates, then the next time I looked the same rate wasn't available, so I used the "name your price" feature, and got a major car rental company to accept that price. I paid in advance (yes, that's the trade off), when I arrived at my destination expecting a compact car, they didn't have one and offered me a mid size SUV without paying any more.

Car rental agencies and individual agents actually have a lot of latitude to offer any rate they want within a certain range, regardless of their advertised or typical rates.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For your 2nd trip,
i remember trying to plan a 1-way trip some years time back, and Avis had the cheapest policy for 1-way rental, or it might have been budget? Especially if it's just a regular midsize car and not an SUV or specialty car.

Not sure if it still is true or only because of my corporate codes and discounts. Anyway I'd be sure to check Avis or budget when looking for a 1-way.

Overall, I've been happy with the National/Enterprise family, so that's what I prioritize first; especially since they often get me going a lot faster rather then waiting in line to do paperwork.

Then again, I think if you are doing RNO to LAX, because Nevada/California might be considered sister states; maybe the drop fees might not be so much. you'll have to price it out...

I'd definitely advise against the hotwire/priceline bidding if you have big vacation plans. While definitely sometimes people are pleased, half of the times people have told me they got burnt by it.
If your plans change and you are unable to pickup with the exact person and exact name you bid with on the exact date; you completely forfeit your money and the entire reservation. You cannot even pick up the car a day late and forfeit a day the whole reservation is forfeit.

The other complaint I've personally heard from friends is they think they saved $30 for a rental and are very smug, but tell me later they ended up in a 45min line to pick up car or even when they get to the front of the line, they have to wait 15 minutes for a car to be returned to come in. Especially true at big airports like LAX where there's always a line and they're saving the good cars for more loyal customers. Because you are a bargain shopper, the company that fulfills the rental treats you as trash and you're on the bottom of the pecking order and least likely to be cut any deals or slack.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I've had pretty good luck by making a booking far in advance when I find a good price, then hitting "name your price" on priceline while changing planes on my way to SLC, for example, or even once while grabbing a coffee after arrival. YMMV, of course, but at worst you've got a car type guaranteed at an acceptable (if not great) cost from the initial booking.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
UBer is pretty reliable in and around SLC. We were there last month and skipped renting a car. Stayed at hotels with airport shuttle and used UBer for all other transportation. Would need an UBer XL to transport skis though.

What's the the cost difference for AWD vs 2WD? I'd be looking at maybe going 2WD and buying chains to have handy if you get lucky enough to need them. Return them on your way back if you don't need them.

Don't bet on the rental having REAL snow tires. Expect all seasons, maybe winter rated all seasons at best.

Last edited:
TS
Bigtinnie

Bigtinnie

Skier
UBer is pretty reliable in and around SLC. We were there last month and skipped renting a car. Stayed at hotels with airport shuttle and used UBer for all other transportation. Would need an UBer XL to transport skis though.

What's the the cost difference for AWD vs 2WD? I'd be looking at maybe going 2WD and buying chains to have handy if you get lucky enough to need them. Return them on your way back if you don't need them.

Don't bet on the rental having REAL snow tires. Expect all seasons, maybe winter rated all seasons at best.

Last year we wouldn't have got out of the hotel car park without 4wd.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year we wouldn't have got out of the hotel car park without 4wd.

Yes, last thing you want to do is travel half way round the world and then find yourself stuck like that. And I wouldn't worry too much about getting a 2WD SUV. Most of the major rental companies are savvy enough to know that they don't send these to places like SLC and Reno in the Winter, they put them in LA and Texas..... And as for getting snow tires.......ask away but 99.999% it ain't gonna happen. Even 4WD SUVs in these locations will come on all-seasons, rental companies simply dont put on snow tires normally. But some of these A/S now also have the snowflake symbol and should still be enough to get you through most stuff you will come across. And to be honest, you are probably better off in a Suburban or Expedition then the Hyundai....

There is also another tactic you can use (I used to do it quite regularly but now Hertz usually lets me pick my car when I arrive). Book the vehicle class you want with 2 or 3 companies on a no cancellation fee/no upfront money basis. When you arrive check out what vehicle each of them has sitting there for you and take the one you prefer. Works better of course if you are a member of their loyalty program and you just need to walk to the car rather than line up at the desk...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's the ground clearance you need if you don't have AWD. FWD with chains and good ground clearance will go more places than AWD with the same clearance but only fair all season tires. Suburban or Subaru or something similar from Ford or Jeep is what you want. The cool thing about UBer is they drop you off and pick you up right up front at the base lodge.. No hauling your gear through 3/4s of a mile of parking lots or shuttle buses to deal with.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
agree with booking double or such if you can cancel at last minute, I think I can cancel that day for several companies and as Scotsskier noted a premier or gold membership may option you to pick a vehicle from a doz or two. Pricing varies a lot and if you have corporate rate you may save significant on a one way.

not greatly likely you can get the snow tires .. least on rental from a nationwide company.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And I wouldn't worry too much about getting a 2WD SUV. Most of the major rental companies are savvy enough to know that they don't send these to places like SLC and Reno

My experience has been different in Denver. Every time I've had a reservation for a "mid sized SUV" it's ended up being 2WD.:nono: I've pressed the companies on this and have not had any luck getting them to commit to having an AWD available. In short, lots of sympathy for the OP. I did get AWD last time I rented in SLC, but I think it was because the weather was fair. :rolleyes:

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
My experience has been different in Denver. Every time I've had a reservation for a "mid sized SUV" it's ended up being 2WD.:nono: I've pressed the companies on this and have not had any luck getting them to commit to having an AWD available. In short, lots of sympathy for the OP. I did get AWD last time I rented in SLC, but I think it was because the weather was fair. :rolleyes:
I've had better luck on that. I ended up with AWD even though they would "guarantee" it

(though one of them was set at 2WD mode, until I figure that out the next morning in day light)

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had better luck on that. I ended up with AWD even though they would "guarantee" it

(though one of them was set at 2WD mode, until I figure that out the next morning in day light)

yup, never had a 2wd one at either of these locations

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Rental car places don't buy snow tires. It's simple treadware $s math. Not only do the snows wear down quicker in most driving conditions outside of full blizzard, the rental places don't need the hassle of swapping them out every time the season changes.. which can happen more often when folks rent a one way from snow country to non snow country.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Tires...take a look at the mileage on the car and the depth of the tread before you drive away. If there are a lot of miles and the tread is somewhat worn down, insist that they give you a different car with better tires. Don't ask how I learned this.... If a lot of snow is in the forecast and you have a tough drive ahead, stop into some place like a Walmart to buy a cheap set of tire chains.

Car reservation...I think there is still no penalty for cancelling a reservation. Make the reservation that looks best to you, then two or three days before your trip look again. If there are a surplus of cars one of the companies may offer a great deal on short notice.