• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Car Movies

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What are some of your favorites? Old school like the original Gone in 60 Seconds or Dirty Mary Crazy Larry? Or new school like the Fast & the Furious collection?

I will say @spencer got me hooked on the F&F's. I never really had them on my radar units he brought me to one and I really enjoyed it, so much I got the collection. I think 4-7 is a really strong 4 part trilogy and like how the story evolves. Even though it is not a car movie, The Blues Bothers having the cop car (with cop tires, cop suspension and being produced before catalytic converters so it runs good on regular (leaded) gas) is definitely a worth supporting actor in the movie.

Other favorites:
Italian Job (remake)
Cars, (Autoweek has it as one of the most accurate car movies ever made)
Senna
Tucker, a man and his machine (great cinematography)
Bullitt

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
What are some of your favorites? Old school like the original Gone in 60 Seconds or Dirty Mary Crazy Larry? Or new school like the Fast & the Furious collection?

I will say @spencer got me hooked on the F&F's. I never really had them on my radar units he brought me to one and I really enjoyed it, so much I got the collection. I think 4-7 is a really strong 4 part trilogy and like how the story evolves. Even though it is not a car movie, The Blues Bothers having the cop car (with cop tires, cop suspension and being produced before catalytic converters so it runs good on regular (leaded) gas) is definitely a worth supporting actor in the movie.

Other favorites:
Italian Job (remake)
Cars, (Autoweek has it as one of the most accurate car movies ever made)
Senna
Tucker, a man and his machine (great cinematography)
Bullitt
Cars, Tucker, and without question Bullitt. The chase in the original French Connection hangs with these too.

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
And speaking of racing, lest we forget the Niki Lauda/James Hunt rivalry epic (if you'll pardon the expression), Rush

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And speaking of racing, lest we forget the Niki Lauda/James Hunt rivalry epic (if you'll pardon the expression), Rush
Just watched that, a great one for sure.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
The first time I watched Cars it was for the characters and the story. Because I have a degree in geology, the second time I focused entirely on the rock formations around Radiator Springs. I especially liked the '59 Caddy tail fins on the dipping beds out beyond the edge of town. I also got a kick out of Sarge's SUV boot camp during the closing credits. And the cow tipping sequence was a riot.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The first time I watched Cars it was for the characters and the story. Because I have a degree in geology, the second time I focused entirely on the rock formations around Radiator Springs. I especially liked the '59 Caddy tail fins on the dipping beds out beyond the edge of town. I also got a kick out of Sarge's SUV boot camp during the closing credits. And the cow tipping sequence was a riot.
Sure it was a warmed over story that has been done numerous times before but the accuracies on the automotive side were done so well. There are so many subtleties imbedded in there that it is tough to get them all without watching the movie less than 5-6 times.

Johnny Style

Putting on skis
Skier
These are not the traditional choices but they are the reasons I went out and purchased a big black car with a V8.

1. Mad Max Interceptor: Technically an Australian Ford Falcon. She made a brief appearance in the new Mad Max Fury Road movie.

070481e92f1cbe3af02c281f1c2ba254.jpg

Here is some sweet video of when Max first meets the Pursuit Special. Listen to that Supercharger whine as the camera zooms in on the scoop. Beautiful cinema.
The American version of Mad Max had dubbed dialogue, they even dubbed the sound of the engine to remove the whistle from the blower. The clip is from the Australian version.

2. Phantasm Cuda. Yes, a horror movie can also be a car movie. They made five Phantasm movies and the Cuda was a big part of each one.

cuda.jpg

Here is some more sweet video of the Cuda. Check out that pistol grip shifter in the clip as the kid gets to drive this beast.

Honorable mention to the original Vanishing Point as there is a scene where Kowalski jumps the white Challenger in Glenwood Canyon bewtween Aspen and Vail.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Purely from a filmmaking standpoint, the Fast and Furious franchise. Not always the strongest or most accurate/realistic stories but I would love to get to work on one :D...
The new Italian Job

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Death Proof from Quinten Tarantino's Grind House Double Feature was a pretty cool homage to Vanishing Point and other B movies from the early 70's.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I think there is a distinction between movies built around cars and ones which feature cars/car chases iconically

In the latter - Italian Job (original - the latter is a pale sub Ocean's XX knockoff)
French Connection
Bullitt
Many Bond films but most obviously Goldfinger.

Sponsor