Ron

Seeking the next best ski
Pugski Ski Tester
Canyon was the premier sponsor of the STB GRVL race so there were a bunch of folks on them and they had a large booth/exhibit. That's a fine looking bike and I love the color ways of their products. they just looked refined and of quality.

Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Making fresh tracks
Instructor
Did a little adventuring today trying to follow the dotted line on this old map. Kinda blew it as Belvedere Mountain Road had a s different name at the East end.
E8120020-4CED-4FFD-A39B-3B630A029243.jpeg

This giant wasp thing did not sting me. It was about three inches long!
01BAFDCA-CA94-4AEF-AD94-BC3A26FA006B.jpeg

Logging in progress. There was some walking.
C44A4027-8E0C-4C78-837F-799121419189.jpeg

Josh - what kind of vehicles drive on this road?
F4960B16-D5CB-4216-887F-6AB3A97352D2.jpeg

Found this beautiful Beaver Pond at the top of the hill, but it proved to be the end of the road for us, now I know which way to go next time.
7211AA8A-F857-4CB4-A2F2-BD4C629BC59B.jpeg

Anyway, really fun challenge to ride the Grail on this stuff. Wet soft roads, tons of logging debris. Waterbars, ledge. I start to worry that the bottom is going to drop out when frogs are jumping out of my way.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Making fresh tracks
Instructor
Here are the roads me and Erik were riding lol.

IMG_4832.JPG
IMG_4833.JPG

Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Making fresh tracks
Instructor
My creak came back, so I installed the Hope BB. Blessed silence has returned.

Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Making fresh tracks
Instructor
Finally made it up to the East Mountain Radar Base. I tried last week, but missed a turn and pedaled past it. This time we made it. I posted the Strava screenshot because I like how pointy the profile is. That's what it felt like. You'd be going around a 20% switchback hoping it flattens and just ride into a ramp. The pavement once we got past the lower base was surprisingly good, though covered in moss and likens and some wet leaves. Very slippery, we descended quite slowly because of the skidmarks we had seen on the way up. I had been hoping for nice views at the top, but instead it was cold, wet, and very windy. I'm definitely going back on a sunny day. I was psyched that I made it up not only without walking, but I even kept one cog in reserve and had more to give.

D9F929AB-E06E-49CE-9FF2-B57F263B303D.jpeg
2A3BF10E-791C-4F88-B6B5-5C66B7E8947A.png

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The Hoverbar! I really like the aesthetic of the hoverbar, but for me, if I could wave a magic wand at it, I'd like to be able to make the lower bar more droopy and have it connect lower in order to allow more room for my hands when in the drops. As it is now, the connecter bar does let me hook my thumbs, but it kind of pushes on the meat of my hand behind my thumbs and pushes me back from the brake levers just a little bit.

Bottom line, great bike, would buy again. Depending on what next year's Grail is speced like, I might flip this, and buy a Di2 GRX model next year.
Did you see Peter Verdone's biplane bar build?

http://www.peterverdone.com/bi-planes-are-the-future/

Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Making fresh tracks
Instructor
That bike! Wow. Reminds me of Steve Bauer's "stealth bike" from Eddy Merckx. Maybe that thing was 20 (25?) years ahead of it's time.

Advertisement