• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The Schwalbe/DT-Swiss combo sure converts to tubeless easily. The rims were already taped, all I needed to do was drop in the valves and some sealant. It sealed up on the first try at a pretty low pressure, I pumped it up to 60 psi, gave it a spin and left it overnight. It still was rock hard this AM, dropped pressure to 45 psi, and will try it there.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
how does that double bar feel?

Feels normal, you can't, probably shouldn't use the lower level. It is forward of the top deck and your wrists wrest right against the top deck if you do try it, seems like a broken wrist waiting to happen, plus it's not that comfortable. All the normal positions are there, and in the drops you get a little bit of extra stability from the crossbar. The new Ultra hoods feel great, it's hard to believe there is a hydraulic brake hiding inside there.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
As I’ve said when buying computers, you just pick the level of obsolescence you will be happy with. Same goes with bikes, skis, and boots.

Anyway, nice to see Shimano is making improvements all the time.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Erik - in all honesty the new hoods on the gravel group are much different (kinda more SRAM’y) than the hoods you have on your current Ultegra and if you are comfy on your current hoods you may not like the new ones.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
9B4600E5-7482-4352-92CD-7C9345B98E5F.jpeg
Stopped on this 20% hill for a photo with these critters.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I haven't really been piling on the miles yet this year, so I decided I needed a shock to the system. Just did a loop up and over Smuggler's Notch riding as much gravel as I could. Maybe 60-70% gravel. I tell you what, it is a while different workout from the mountain bike. I mean there's not many places where you will climb for an hour non-stop on a mountain bike. Not in Vermont anyway (Thank God). Of course I remembered Greg Lemond, "it never gets easier, you just go faster", and even though I meant to go easy, I kept putting the hammer down. On the last climb, I thought I might need to back off as I was seeing stars... actually, it turned out to be a swarm of black flies orbiting my face. Still, if you 're not sure, maybe you are shocking the system.

Anyway, notes on the bike - Sooooo stable. GPS said I was doing 48mph down the Notch Road, no hint of speed wobble, could probably take your hands off the bars at that speed. Also, definitely gonna be looking at some different saddles. I was OK for 2 hrs, but the 2 after that were not that great! This one almost has a hump in the middle, I think I want longer, flatter, maybe a touch wider at the back.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
BTW- the rear tire felt a little soft yesterday. Turns out I only had 35 psi rear and 38 front. I think I'm gonna try sticking to 45/40.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
28164200-5028-4F86-A224-16F3027C6E08.jpeg
B9DD8421-5D37-47B3-9B77-4BAF9771707D.jpeg
The kid has wicked shin splints from track right now, so took her on her first gravel ride. She rode road once and hated everything about it. Rented a Specialized Diverge with 105 group and carbon frame. Knocked out a quick twenty miles on the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail.

Sponsor

Staff online