• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
What do you guys think of this puppy? I'm kinda toying with some sort of a "gravel" bike to complement my mountain bikes and my 15 year old Lemond (which in all honesty is perfectly fine and is fun to ride on gravel roads with its 23c tubeless tires). The bar/stem thing is sorta cool and kind of a head scratcher. I mean, you'd better like it cuz it looks like it isn't going anywhere.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/grail/grail-cf-sl-disc-8-0

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
15 years old? I bet it will clear up to 28 nominal :D

Seriously, I rather like the Hover bar. At ^that price I'd be seriously torn between going carbon on the Grail vs. a plain jane steel Ritchey Outback.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
If I ran 28s they'd have to be small 28s. The 23s are Hutchinsons and run pretty close especially to the fork crown.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that hover bar has some real merit, but oh man, not without a test ride.

Which I guess is part of the good/bad direct to consumer conundrum.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think that hover bar has some real merit, but oh man, not without a test ride.

It's funny -just before @epic posted I was playing with a Revolt Advanced. After 3 months+ of trying to bang out a nasty steering resonance on my gaspipe pseudogravel special, I'm kinda ready for a sorted turnkey rig. With our rolling hills I would far rather stay with Ultegra than go to 1x Sram - which makes the Canyon a better deal.

If I ran 28s they'd have to be small 28s. The 23s are Hutchinsons and run pretty close especially to the fork crown.

Interesting. It must be a rim difference. I've got Vittoria 25s on the OEM Racelites - and great oceans of room.

IMG_20181016_124253.jpg

Yeh, I know, time to clean her.

Last edited:
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I just "measured" my fork/crown clearance. A 4mm allen wrench fits in the gap, 5mm does not. This is with Hutchinson Fusion2s on Dura-Ace 7801 wheels (sorta widish rims). The back of the bike has a teeny bit more room, but either way if the tire picks up anything, I don't want it to be much bigger than what I have.

Last edited:
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Borrowed a 56cm Specialized Diverge for a couple of hours today. My very first thought was that it's a little small at 56cm, by the end of the ride, it seemed reasonable, but I'd have liked t try a 58 if I could. I think that mountain bike bars are ridiculous at 800mm plus, but buy do roadie bars seem narrow now! Tires were 35c and I ran them at 70 psi even though it said 75-100 on the sidewall. I thought 35 sounded a bit on the wide side, but maybe not. I don't think I'd go narrower. Praxis works cranks, no thanks, reminded me of late '80's Shimano, glad I escaped without bloody ankles. Brakes were TRP pulled by cables from 105 shifters. They were not one bit stronger than my DA rim brakes - disappointing I was expecting to stop like Dave Stohler with the pump in his spokes. Can I assume hydraulic road brakes stop a little harder? Also, I don't know if it was the bend of the bar or what, but I could barely get my fingers on the brakes from the drops. Anyway, first data point.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
What do you guys think of this puppy? I'm kinda toying with some sort of a "gravel" bike to complement my mountain bikes and my 15 year old Lemond (which in all honesty is perfectly fine and is fun to ride on gravel roads with its 23c tubeless tires). The bar/stem thing is sorta cool and kind of a head scratcher. I mean, you'd better like it cuz it looks like it isn't going anywhere.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/grail/grail-cf-sl-disc-8-0

Where do you live?

Here in Colorado a Gravel bike is somewhat of a must, well, of course not, but its fun! Specially during the winter.

I got the Cannondale SuperX SE last year and love it. The 1x drivetrain has been super easy to maintain and reliable.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Where do you live?

Here in Colorado a Gravel bike is somewhat of a must, well, of course not, but its fun! Specially during the winter.

I got the Cannondale SuperX SE last year and love it. The 1x drivetrain has been super easy to maintain and reliable.

I'm in VT. I kinda ruled out all 1x for lack of range. I feel like it would be super-annoying having no top-end.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
CFD169FC-64E1-4176-9530-C7E452C79C7C.jpeg
3DA93F75-772E-4497-9C92-04529F070FE3.jpeg
Here are some pictures from yesterday. I think they’d look better with the Grail in them.

Sponsor

Staff online