• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cantology shims for Tecnica Cochise?

mntntom

Booting up
Skier
Love the fit of the current Tecnica Cochise 120/130 and the compatibility with tech bindings. However, they have no cant adjustment and I'm a bit bowlegged. Cantology shims might be a way of obtaining some cant as needed but I can't find any info concerning availability/compatibility of these shims with these boots?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TS
M

mntntom

Booting up
Skier
It's been awhile...............but I believe a boot fitter at my local mountain set up one of my early boots with a slight cant in the outward direction. Bowlegged. Every boot I've owned since then I have adjusted the cant accordingly. The orthopedic surgeon that replaced my right hip confirmed that I was mildly bowlegged and assured me he had nothing to do with it as evident in the before and after x-rays.

All that being said, I welcome any advice or personal experience.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These boots are set up about 1* out, with that said with the tech fittings in toe lugs you are limited with what you can laterally change.

TS
M

mntntom

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the feedback! If I understand correctly, these boots are manufactured to be about 1* canted out.
If I stand naturally on a flat surface with both boots on and about a foot apart the soles of the boots are not flat on the surface (floor). If I roll my knees left and right I can feel one boot, then the other sit flat. This seems to indicate more outward cant would be desirable. Cantology shims appear to be available from .5 to 3.5*, but I don't know if they are compatible with the current Cochise soles?

I'm not concerned with the tech application as I would only use them for "meadow skipping" on Voile BC's in the woods with the dog after a day on the hill. We like to take him out right after we're done and this way I wouldn't need to change boots. This also makes for a more efficient transition to the bar. I have other boots for more serious backcountry work..

Thanks again!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the feedback! If I understand correctly, these boots are manufactured to be about 1* canted out.
If I stand naturally on a flat surface with both boots on and about a foot apart the soles of the boots are not flat on the surface (floor). If I roll my knees left and right I can feel one boot, then the other sit flat. This seems to indicate more outward cant would be desirable. Cantology shims appear to be available from .5 to 3.5*, but I don't know if they are compatible with the current Cochise soles?

I'm not concerned with the tech application as I would only use them for "meadow skipping" on Voile BC's in the woods with the dog after a day on the hill. We like to take him out right after we're done and this way I wouldn't need to change boots. This also makes for a more efficient transition to the bar. I have other boots for more serious backcountry work..

Thanks again!
The problem with the tech fittings is that they are very close to the top of the lugs making it impossible to rout the lug more than an additional degree to make them fit in a regular binding.

TS
M

mntntom

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Phil, I'm going to try the boot in a regular binding and see how it lines up.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
From what I have heard*

You can run 3mm without routering.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From what I have heard*

You can run 3mm without routering.
3mm is a 3*. That leaves 3mm low in 1 side and one side jamed into a binding. The boot will rock and at that point I wouldn't bother with doing the canting.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
3mm is a 3*. That leaves 3mm low in 1 side and one side jamed into a binding. The boot will rock and at that point I wouldn't bother with doing the canting.

That’s what I’ve heard; didn’t say I’d run it :)

Sponsor

Staff online