• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Canine Partial Laryngeal Paralysis - any experience with your dogs?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Cooper has always hated car rides, panting the whole way, but lately it's gotten worse. One time, it sounded like he was choking. These days, as soon as he sees I'm packing up for a trip, his tail goes straight down. He starts shaking. He'll jump right in, but I figure that's because he's just such a people-pleaser.

The vet put all of this together with Cooper's frequent issue coughing after eating/drinking. She figures it's partial laryngeal paralysis. This is common in labs (Cooper is part lab, very much apparent in his looks, though he is just shy of 60 pounds). His throat closes easily, but doesn't open so well. Panting makes it worse because, combined with the difficulty of opening, it makes the throat swell. He's 10.5 years old.

Okay, so, likely I'm not going to be spending as much time in the mountains as usual, but I do want to go sometimes - and some of his favorite activities are up there. Not to mention that hiking in the cool summer air will be a much safer/more comfortable option for him than hiking in the front range, which is tough anyway because Loki overheats so easily.

I've wanted to replace our very stupid three pane back door (previous owners put in two panes of glass with a hinge door in the middle) with a sliding door or something anyway, so if you know of any that work well with dog doors without looking completely crappy, let me know. If I do that, it will be easier to ask friends to watch him sometimes, when going to the mountains doesn't involve fun hikes. As the dogs age, I figured this would need to happen, anyway.

I asked the doc about anti-inflammatories for the drive, but she said if anything, a sedative would be more beneficial. She's giving it some thought.

I've tried keeping the back windows open, as much as I can stand, and I think it helps, but he's still very unhappy. It makes the drive traumatic for everyone.

So - have any of your dogs had this? Any tips?

I made the mistake of googling it, and prognosis is not good. Although they didn't use the word "partial" in those articles, and it sounds like they usually get diagnosed when it's a lot more acute. It sounds like it's the start of a larger nerve/neuropathy issue. Of course, we all die of something eventually, but ...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Sucks .Sorry to hear. My only advice is, do what's best for him . The condition seems easy enough to understand so manage it as best you can. They're like two year old kids. They rely on you to do what's best for them despite what you may want to do. I'm sure you'll take care of it better than anyone Monique.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A friend suggested CBD oil, which Loki is already taking for his back/hip. It helps him a lot, but it seems very different. My friend says she knows a dog who did much better on car trips, so it's worth a try.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Sucks .Sorry to hear. My only advice is, do what's best for him . The condition seems easy enough to understand so manage it as best you can. They're like two year old kids. They rely on you to do what's best for them despite what you may want to do. I'm sure you'll take care of it better than anyone Monique.

Yeah, he's pretty much fine except for occasionally sounding like he's going to hork up his food after he eats ... and then complete misery in the car. I'm glad I now know to be even more careful about heat - it could actually become fatal when panting irritates his throat enough to close it.

There's been a lot distracting me from the mountains this season, but this one is the hardest. When driving to the mountains actually hurts Cooper ..

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting. Had a Chocolate lab decades ago and he hated rides. We did sedate some. Before sedation and hour ride had him making a lake under his mouth from panting. If CBD calms him, I would try it.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bilateral laryngeal paralysis carries a worse prognosis. The idea of sedatives is to minimize the ramp up where excitement creates rapid breathing and then anxiety because of the difficulty of moving air. Anecdotally, doxepin has been used in dogs, but I am unaware of any study that proves its effectiveness. There is certainly no research on CBD oil, although recommendations abound for using it on every medical consdition... presumably, if it helps keep the patient calm, then there will be some benefit. If car rides create the anxiety, then short acting anxiolytics may be worth trying.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Bilateral laryngeal paralysis carries a worse prognosis.

Can I translate this as "It's not likely you're looking at a rapid trajectory toward limited mobility"? I mean, aside from general aging and of course given that nothing's guaranteed.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can I translate this as "It's not likely you're looking at a rapid trajectory toward limited mobility"? I mean, aside from general aging and of course given that nothing's guaranteed.
Yes!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online