• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
The OP's response to @Wendy was misplaced but up too that point I thought the he handled the trolling better than I have in the past. Ever had a situation where you tolerated obnoxious behavior for an extended period and when you finally draw a line it is with someone who was actually trying to be helpful? On one side you have a couple of members who have tried to misrepresent benign discussions as part of a culture war that most of us never even knew existed. And then you have those who have no interest in the place, conditions or really any aspect of the discussion who then feel the need to redirect the conversation to something that they are interested in.

I believe the Navigator and Kanjo have tail rocker which usually indicates a significantly more soft snow/off piste oriented ski. Good to complement other skis but may be less suitable as a one ski quiver in New England. If one is able to have a two ski quiver, I like @François Pugh's suggestion to go much wider for the one and much narrower for the other.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Being as small as your are maybe you should be looking at ladies skis ? Thoughts?

Maybe look at Kastle FX84 I think it’s a pretty good all rounder for east coast,at least when I’ve skied
It in past.

SkiMcP

At the junction of 89 & 93
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wendy thoughts on the height limit for those Trainors? I have been watching these threads for ideas for a narrower ski for my 14 y.o. 5' 8" 108lb son (strong intermediate). The DPS sounds like it could be a contender but am wondering if the 160 is going to be too short even given the minimal weight he lugs around. The DPS sight only lists the 160 and a 168 so sizing seems like it might be somewhat non-traditional. Thanks for any insight.

And OP, thanks for putting together and publishing you list - useful info and entertaining (to say the least) process.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Wendy thoughts on the height limit for those Trainors? I have been watching these threads for ideas for a narrower ski for my 14 y.o. 5' 8" 108lb son (strong intermediate). The DPS sounds like it could be a contender but am wondering if the 160 is going to be too short even given the minimal weight he lugs around. The DPS sight only lists the 160 and a 168 so sizing seems like it might be somewhat non-traditional. Thanks for any insight.

And OP, thanks for putting together and publishing you list - useful info and entertaining (to say the least) process.
The 160 is an "adult" size, such as a 155SL is a adult ski too. The tester here for the 167 is 5'10" and 250lb..he seems to enjoy them. If anything, this in a 160, might buch for him at 108lb ;). If you start feeding him more than bird seed, by next year he should be OK ;). It is a helluva ski..and a great price.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Well, I’m afraid I will NOT be updating the list. As I won’t even have time to evaluate the latest suggestions.

I’m invited to go on a road trip to catch the best part of the white water kayaking season. When I get back after Memorial Day, every single weekend are booked till Labor Day!

But thanks for all of the suggestions anyway. Maybe I’ll look through them again come fall. And will be taking the list to hit the mountains.

SkiMcP

At the junction of 89 & 93
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Phil. The DPS is very tempting. As for the birdseed, not a bad idea, but I find that a diet of thin gruel is easiest on my ski budget...

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ski&ride to demonstrate the Navigator 80 isn't an intermediate ski I did a side-to-side comparison last weekend at A-basin against a ski that is decidedly not an intermediate ski. The Navigator 80 held it's own very nicely.

IMG_20190519_135715.jpg

That's how you do a side-to-side comparison... right?

:D

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I did that once with a Coomba on one foot and a K2 KVC on the other, just as a lark. Actually, to avoid having to adjust the sole length, my friend and I traded one boot along with the ski it was attached to. I found, as you did, that it was surprisingly skiable.

James

Out There
Instructor
You should just buy the 160 Dps 79 Trainers and be done with it. Sometimes things are presented which make total sense even though you haven't tried it.

Latest review:
I guess I didn't read Tony's review too closely, I just got "Loved it, loved it, so so so fun." And I agreed.

compared to other fun slalomish skis I've spent a lot of time on... kastle MX 74 in 172 and Stockli laser AX, 168, I find the trainer to be as good or better off piste. Maybe I'm still infatuated, but I ski 90% of the time off piste, and have been skiing it daily in big KT bumps this spring and find the design just sweet. I even skied it back to back with the AX at the rose pugski demo down spring bumps on Golds and the trainer was more friendly, quicker and versatile there then the AX to me.

Don't want to hijack the topic from the other skis here, but I wanted to follow up on James direct thought.

Cheers!
W

Sponsor

Staff online