• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
20 pages and only 5 skis?
Actually, that list has 6 skis!ogwink

That also leaves room for 1 or 2 more.

I think 6-8 is the maximum. Many more than that, it would take too long (and probably too costly) to demo more than that.

And if I don’t find one I like in that many candidates, I’m looking at the wrong direction!

Last edited:
TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
That's not what @Wendy is doing. Search the site for comments on the ski, and read the for sale thread. There are grounds for thinking it's a good candidate.
I maybe too harsh on the “not doing the seller any favor” comment.

But Phil already recommended it. She didn’t add any more information except that it’s “cool”! What was that supposed to mean? It’s popular? It’s fashionable? The colors match?... If I want fashionable, I would pick up a fatty!

(Actually, I’ve already looked at the for sale thread when it was first mentioned. I decided at $600 used, I’m not ready to buy it without demo.

The problem is I haven’t skied a SINGLE “narrow all mountain” ski to have any idea of what characteristics I am compromising on yet. So I’m not in a position to “guess” whether this ski will likely suit me or not.)

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I would not rule out the Head Rally. There is a lot of talk about this ski here on PUGSKI you should check it out. It is an eastern ski that has received a lot of love.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem is I haven’t skied a SINGLE “narrow all mountain” ski to have any idea of what characteristics I am compromising on yet. So I’m not in a position to “guess” whether this ski will likely suit me or not.)

Precisely. That is the problem. So more talking at this juncture isn't going to help you. Diminishing returns to the point of uselessness. You need to get out and ski a bunch of skis and then come back around to the "book learning" with a set of real world calibration points.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think 6-8 is the maximum. Many more than that, it would take too long (and probably too costly) to demo more than that.

And if I don’t find one I like in that many candidates, I’m looking at the wrong direction!

Sometimes the best way to pick a ski, is to have no idea what you're going into when demoing, and having no preconceived notions on what a ski is "supposed" to feel like. Go to a local demo day that you pay $10 to demo anything for the day...go from tent to tent and describe what you're looking for to the rep, and let them choose a ski for you to try.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Doh. Fat fingers.

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But Phil already recommended it. She didn’t add any more information except that it’s “cool”! What was that supposed to mean? It’s popular? It’s fashionable? The colors match?... If I want fashionable, I would pick up a fatty!

You're missing the "social" aspect of this social media site. Sometimes people are just sharing their enthusiasm.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
think 6-8 is the maximum. Many more than that, it would take too long (and probably too costly) to demo more than that.
The list is the skis recommended by people over 15 pgs. Your demo list you narrow later or run it concurrently. Likely you won't be able to demo all you want anyway. Plus you get into tuning issues.

Otherwise, you get the same skis recommended in the last 15 pg thread. Like the Head Rally, 76 waist. What you probably want is more the Head Titan, 80 waist.

If you have to ask the meaning of "cool" you likely didn't have to go through the era of barfing clown graphics. Icing on the cake. Lots of people pick cakes for the icing.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Precisely. That is the problem. So more talking at this juncture isn't going to help you. Diminishing returns to the point of uselessness. You need to get out and ski a bunch of skis and then come back around to the "book learning" with a set of real world calibration points.
I can quit talking now. I’ve already got a list to start with.

But people keep asking for “the list”. So I provide it, knowing it will generate more “talk” even if I don’t really need more. (I’m not against the ensuing talks either, the list is never close, till next fall

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a few things being missed here, the OP is 5'4" and 120lb. Demoing a lot of skis that are being mentioned and considered will note be offered in a small enough length, most of the "men's" sizes might start in the upper 160's and most will be in the 170-180 range. Next, finding all of the options at a consumer demo day will be near impossible to get on everyone, on the same day, in the same conditions and let alone with a constant tune. Which brings us back to the point, when you are demoing a ski, you are demoing three things, the snow, the tune and lastly the ski.

To the reply to @Wendy, yes it was rude and the OP acknowledged it. Wendy was trying to help and to steal and modify a quote "Men learn from their own experience, women learn from other peoples experiences". The OP said he has never skied a ski like this before, so on that note, how will he know what to even look for? He will take out a ski on his list, usually his top choice because that is what he is most excited about. He will ski it, it will feel different but since he said he doesn't even know what he his looking for, he will not know why. Then the next ski and the next ski. All along he is getting the idea what a narrow ski should react like on snow. So, what about that first ski? He now has to go back and ski that again, but the day is done...so the next time can get in the ski, it is a different day, different condtiions and very well a different ski with a different tune. Back to the drawing board.

I made a suggestion for a ski, Wendy validated that suggestion because, well, she has the experience of skiing it and the ability to discern what the OP is asking for and knowing the ski, validated my suggestion. The OP needs also to realized there is no perfect ski, there are a lot of right ones and few that are not so right, ESPECIALLY when you get into the short bookend size of a 160 for a male skier. I agree there are many suggestions that have been made that the person was validating their own purchase or experiences, and it it tough to discern those from those who have the OP's needs at heart.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Sometimes the best way to pick a ski, is to have no idea what you're going into when demoing, and having no preconceived notions on what a ski is "supposed" to feel like. Go to a local demo day that you pay $10 to demo anything for the day...go from tent to tent and describe what you're looking for to the rep, and let them choose a ski for you to try.
Done that once already, didn’t like any of them. Decided I need to narrow it down. (no punt intended)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have to ask the meaning of "cool" you likely didn't have to go through the era of barfing clown graphics. Icing on the cake. Lots of people pick cakes for the icing
You and my daughter need to lighten up about the graphics. And for the record, it's a skeleton, not a clown, and that's ice cream on the skeleton, not icing.

ldHsqqMGfD41780avZh4iKsI3fzKVZsBFf4T5GdtzhEtXJteHG6HM1iae6Gn-BGtOPHwjQahlp8WV6F-rMoXmyhLEyuBJWgieu43vHIJs5ECV4v8XIxFkIWDr9DfLKe5QwPxPGBsb7Yt0Ehj2GeHaZ456MgB-tJ6XMxQbo6YarDU1gpisKSPd-OgUxcGL4ruvxV_WSjqc-NsGD_RqnRfFZsWZyMtCxM7Nbjkel4ZSfjcX_EwulGqdOSROIy2xCgjVglIJpW-PpLtKLojhJomhialpJm92ioLR--ZJsm6U_pfto5g5v89AK6FTBV45coHov4TlGP00YECWLUHa1epIfzmi5eTeveaIYxwXGKBnnGzPhAu4cs0xVgiZjF-Csay0ex3aCZJdoezIVHPrkWHZ4x-jdmCG0qXLiqBYRcOTJS-Ge-ef7BA04zq_1NdgWE2nL5fdQ49VLyaGLcuFR9vDQPj-aGWhfvKQnsb_qcCirZFxR9_ok9kwXRxSCARU0lxhaPi7vHuaTTiyz-ZZolcNhoFqaMcNGZWrB9Ndi9EHbegSK8gd6svBmtr8Hth8uI_y79LnrnSHAtqFe25CL8JLId4Qp-lsfVW9HB1uRBm7EO1Sv1MwZ0rtORuLv1pYnf8KlfAmqKPpIh2lTW_2m0cTTMbOTf1Ku83Hyz6lWNfiiq6hDo1P-tAuwRDr9vx3fBcTx2T2vdMVtxasFLjUIHXKjWbGg=w562-h749-no

At least our son is a fan of them.

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Done that once already, didn’t like any of them. Decided I need to narrow it down. (no punt intended)

The other thing I found helpful is to be very specific with the rep on what you don't like about a ski when you return it... e.g. too soft in x, y, z conditions. Or too slow to turn over when on groomers. Much of the time they can recommend a different ski based on that input.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First, I don’t choose skis because it’s “cool” in somebody’s book.

2nd, this is a demo list.

I don’t suppose you read the 15 pages of the original thread to arrive at the correct impression that I “over think” my ski purchase. Doesn’t make me a good potential target to push your personal favorite, without demo.

If you have personal experience or specific information regarding that ski (beyond “cool”), I’m all ears. Otherwise, you’re not doing the seller any favor by pushing it onto everyone who shows the slightest bit of interest.

YIKES! I was just trying to help and I get some snark. ogwink

I do not recommend skis just because they are “cool.” The Trainer is a damn fine ski, and as I said, checks all your boxes. I did not elaborate beyond “checks all your boxes” because I didn’t want to add more verbiage to an already long thread. And it is for sale here on this forum. Will save you lots of demo time and money.

And I was the first to recommend that ski to you, back in your original, lengthy thread. But there were so many posts, you probably missed it.

I do work in a ski shop and I do sell skis to customers. So I have a good idea about what characteristics in a ski will be helpful for a person with x,y,z stats and needs.

And yes, I read (or ploughed) through ALL the pages of this thread, and the original, and read every post. I am an avid reader. ogsmile

But I will do you a favor and refrain from posting my thoughts on any of your threads in the future.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I am also on the smaller side (5'7" and 160 lbs) with very similar requirements to you for an eastern ski. I recently picked up the Head V8 on clearance. The V8 is mid-70s width, light, and less demanding and more forgiving than the Head Supershapes and Monsters. I had demoed it last fall at a Killington demo day and loved it. A great ski for lighter advanced to expert eastern skiers.
My skiing weight last winter was 140 lbs. I still say you need a quiver. One hard snow ski, I suggest Fischer WC SC in one of the two shortest lengths (I ski it in 165 cm, but it comes as short as 150 cm, and a Bonafide (also in one of it's two shortest lengths - I skied it in its second longest length when I weighed 150 lbs). Each of those skis outperforms the All-Mountain ski by a huge margin in its proper element.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First, I don’t choose skis because it’s “cool” in somebody’s book.

2nd, this is a demo list.

I don’t suppose you read the 15 pages of the original thread to arrive at the correct impression that I “over think” my ski purchase. Doesn’t make me a good potential target to push your personal favorite, without demo.

If you have personal experience or specific information regarding that ski (beyond “cool”), I’m all ears. Otherwise, you’re not doing the seller any favor by pushing it onto everyone who shows the slightest bit of interest.

Really? I don’t know if you realize it but the tone of your reply doesn’t come across as particularly friendly, which is something this community takes very, very seriously. She’s trying to help you, regardless of how she articulated it.

Sponsor

Staff online