• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Canada's all time best ski racer fighting cancer.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Last edited:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
A few years ago I was at Sun Peaks for a few days and watched Ms Green go by a few times. That woman can SKI! Hope this doesn't slow her down.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I wish Nancy all the best with her recovery. She has been and will continue to be an inspiration to racers everywhere.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I can remember being out at Red Mountain when I was 7 or 8 on a road trip and standing at the bottom of Red Mountain and my mom telling me this is where Nancy Greene learned to ski. As a flat-lander who learned to ski on 350' vertical it was pretty awesome. :)

spackler

Booting up
Skier
Luckily the prognosis for thyroid cancer is mostly good.

Nancy Greene wasn't just a great racer (and she was great), her involvement in ski racing post career led to the creation of the Nancy Greene Ski League. Basically a nationwide entry level racing program, it has introduced thousands and thousands of kids to ski racing since it's inception. It's a fun focused, team based competition where kids get excellent instruction while being eased into racing. I raced Nancy Greene League, my wife raced Nancy Greene League, my kids raced Nancy Greene League. Everyone in our area starts out in Nancy Greene, including current World Cuppers like Dustin Cook and Mikaela Tommy.

AND, she's super nice! Have met her a few times, and have a friend who sees her lots through a family connection. A great lady. Wishing her well!

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier

Nancy Greene wasn't just a great racer (and she was great), her involvement in ski racing post career led to the creation of the Nancy Greene Ski League. Basically a nationwide entry level racing program, it has introduced thousands and thousands of kids to ski racing since it's inception. It's a fun focused, team based competition where kids get excellent instruction while being eased into racing. I raced Nancy Greene League, my wife raced Nancy Greene League, my kids raced Nancy Greene League. Everyone in our area starts out in Nancy Greene, including current World Cuppers like Dustin Cook and Mikaela Tommy.

AND, she's super nice! Have met her a few times, and have a friend who sees her lots through a family connection. A great lady. Wishing her well!

Yes,.... She is a powerhouse & very nice in person,..... My wife & I help Nancy with a few of her fundraising events at Sun Peaks throughout the year & meet for dinners with her & Mayor hubby Al a couple times a year,.... We skied together a few times in the 15/16 season & she is awesome to ski with,... You either keep up,....... or you don't !! ;) ,.... Different matter when she is skiing with groups of visitors to the hill (something she does every day she is on the hill through the season),..... But when she is hooting about with friends, the hammer gets put down big time.

The entire hill community has its fingers crossed for her return to the slopes.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec

Couldn't agree more. I watched her son race at Tremblant a few years back. All racers of a certain age raced Nancy Greene. My first trip to WB they still had the Nancy Greene Lodge in operation. There was a meet and greet Sunday night with Nancy. I've seen her many times at the Toronto or Ottawa Snow shows promoting Sun Peaks. I think I have a poster signed by her from my teen years. Yes I saved those, didn't save the David Cassidy kind.

Very rare cancer site. But prognosis sounds good.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The good news is, this is one of the most curable cancers.
The bad news, she'll probably have to take a radioactive iodine pill which isn't entirely fun.

Muleski

Inactive
The bad news, she'll probably have to take a radioactive iodine pill which isn't entirely fun.

Yes. Have, unfortunately, had a half dozen or so friends who have all had to deal with Thyroid cancer, and knock on wood ALL have had great outcomes. Very fortunate. I hope the same for Nancy Greene. She is an an absolutely wonderful person. Great ambassador for our sport, and always has been.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Nancy-Greene.gif

Keep charging Nancy G.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Google her racing carrer and accomplishments. This was one of the images. My apologies.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Would that be a dream, to have a ski racing program you could train young racers. I hope she gets to ski again.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would that be a dream, to have a ski racing program you could train young racers. I hope she gets to ski again.

I think any / every kid who has ever ski raced in Canada in the last 50 years has at some time participated in the Nancy Greene Ski League. A great platform for young racers to start .

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor

The radioactive iodine pill was injections in my wife's case. They just help radiologists track whether thyroid cells migrated elsewhere in the body, and then help wipe out the cells. Following her thyroidectomy, my wife had two of those scans because the first one found cells elsewhere. The second showed she's clear. The worst part of thyroid cancer (provided it's detected early) is having to take thyroid medication the rest of your life to replace the output from the organ.

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier

The badder news is that it has metastasized in her lungs in multiple zones & is NOT curable,..... But it IS treatable.

She will be having multiple rounds of very heavy dose radiation to try & treat it and that prognosis is positive.

That's about all I can release I'm afraid.

She feels well & will be joining us for Canada Day celebrations at Sun Peaks on July 1st if all is well.

Muleski

Inactive
I felt odd "liking" that news, but appreciate your posting it. I'm sure that I join the entire ski world in wishing her the very best as she fights this. I've only met her a couple of times, but she seems like a wonderful person, and I assume she's a real strong woman, with a lot of fight in her.

All the best to her. Good news that it is treatable. Thanks for posting that update.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online