• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Would you be interested in an annual Pugski Canada Gathering?

• Great idea, eh? I live in Canada and we’ve got so much great skiing.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Awesome idea! I live in non-Canadian North America and I love powder without lift lines.

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Makes sense, I live Down Under and going to Canada is just as easy as the States.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Neat idea, but I’m unlikely to attend.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I’m not allowed to cross the border. Don’t ask. Next question.

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Sounds good, @David Chaus ! we don't need no steenkeen gathermeister!

Ok - here's my quick and dirty, and then you can all go away and think about it. I welcome further questions.

Q. Where do I fly in to?
A. Well, Calgary, of course! Gateway to the world!

Q. Do I need to rent a car?
A. Well, it's up to you. Technically, you don't need to rent a car. Brewster runs a shuttle from the airport straight to your Banff hotel. Banff is totally walkable. And there are shuttles to all of the three mountains - Sunshine, Lake Louise and Norquay (if you want to go there) - straight from most hotels in Banff. If you have a Mountain Collective Pass, the shuttle is free. If you have a tri area lift ticket, the shuttle is free. Otherwise, it's $10 one way, or $15 return. If you want to do something else besides skiing while you're here (pfff...who wants to do that?) or if you want to spend a day at Kicking Horse (hmmm...yes, options...) you may want a car. Depending on how many of you want to do that, there might be enough seats in locals' cars.

Q. Where do I stay?
Clearly, you need to stay somewhere along the shuttle route:
https://www.skibig3.com/ski-shuttle/
You also want to stay somewhere you can walk quickly to food and drink: so basically somewhere on or near Banff Ave, between Buffalo St and Rabbit St is ideal. Basically, most hotels in Banff in that area are 2 or 3 star motel-hotel type deals, between $60 and $150/night. You can't really go wrong - except I stayed a night at the Homestead Inn for a night last week and can testify that the beds are truly atrocious.
If you want to be fancy, you can stay at the Banff Springs - that's the only plush hotel along the shuttle route. But it's a schlep from the main drag after après and dinner.
There are also 2 hostels on the shuttle route - Samesum and Banff International. They're both fine.
Most important thing about the hotel: make sure to get a room with a refrigerator. Good for lunches and drinks! (Food on all of the mountains is pretty much notoriously bad and notoriously expensive...but hey, you're not coming here to eat at Sunshine's Alpine Grill, are you? Though I do like the new ramen at Lake Louise)

Q. Lift passes?
Do you have a Mountain Collective Pass? You're all set! And...little known fact: if you really want to ski Norquay, you can also use your MCP. Just show it at the resort and they will give you a 50% off ticket. Don't have an MCP? Your best option is probably to get multi-day tickets from: https://www.skibig3.com/lift-tickets/
If you get the tri-area lift tickets, you can ski at any of the three resorts, and you can also use the shuttle for free. Definitely worth it if you want to use the shuttle. Renting a car and have a Costco membership? You can stop at the North Calgary Costco (https://www.costco.ca/warehouse-locations/nw-calgary-calgary-ab-543.html) and get some cheap lift tickets not just for Sunshine, Louise or Norquay, but also Kicking Horse, Fernie and Castle. The Costco is on the way to the mountains, and American Costco members are welcome!

That's it for now! Let me know if you've got any questions or if you're ready to pin down some dates.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just an FYI so you are forewarned It will be BUSY here at that time as well....as it's Family day on Monday Feb. 19 in Alberta...it will also be busy at Revy that weekend too as many Albertans head to the BC ski hills that weekend too. (BC family day is 1 week earlier)

The lineups last year at Revy that weekend were brutal! (Saturday morning's 45 min wait for the morning gondola was ugly..lineup stretched waaaay past the parking lot...) I'm a glutton for punishment as we tend to go to Revy that long weekend every year...Hotels etc. can be pricier at that time too..

Would be interested in a gathering but would need to be (Feb 10, Feb 24, Mar 24 weekends) or after Easter for me....as most other weekends are booked with trips.

Hey @Poolskier Vinny.....okay, I did it! Despite your tip about Family Day crowds, I've booked my flight to Canada for Feb.8-18. That week was the only feasible week I could take off work without pissing off my office mates too much. I will be leaving again for a week in early March for the Utah Gathering. I always try to have at lease 2 solid weeks between my ski trips...

The Canadian Rockies have been on my bucket list for a long time, so I'm hoping that despite crowds, I'll just be happy to be there!?

I think I might start my own thread seeking advice for my particular itinerary. But thanks to you and all the other Canucks who are some of the most helpful and informative members of the forums. I really hope I can meet some of you over my holiday up there!

k

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sunshine and Lake Louise handle crowds (on the hill, maybe not in the lodges, or in Sunshine's case....the parking lot!) much better than Revelstoke. If you have flexibility with your trip, it might be best to spend the busier days in the Banff region and go to Revy midweek.

Kicking Horse and Castle (if it is a powder weekend) can also get overwhelmed in busier times.

The lift systems at these hills have low capacity, and tend to funnel everyone to the same chairs. Lake Louise and Sunshine have more skiing pods.

Have fun! Let me know if you want to meet for a few runs!

Last edited:

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
And if you like steep terrain and are skiing Revelstoke, Sunshine and Lake Louise anyway...you should hit Kicking Horse for at least one day. You'll drive past it going from Lake Louise to Revelstoke, and it's my favorite area in the region.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
@Pumba - And I'm always up for a day on the hill too! I should be around for the early part of your visit definitely!

Agreed that it will be crowded on Family Day - and I would concur that it would be better to be in Banff for family day time period (unless weather dictates otherwise!) I find Sunshine especially can handle and disperse crowds in a better way than some of our other local mountains.

It's going to be a blast! Pray for snow!

Skicheryl

Skiing with the truck camper every chance we get!
Skier
Yes we would be interested. BF is expert skier I’m intermediate on a good day, lol. Have the Maxx pass this year (epic too) and plan on heading up from CO to Big Sky, fernie, Kicking horse. Depending on conditions may go over to Whistler, Crystal, and Mt Bachelor. Last year had the MC but did not make it to Canada. Will likely get the MC next year.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Hey @Pumba... I’ve had a great time at Revy every year... like I mentioned I’m a glutton for punishment as I’ve subjected myself to the family day weekend crowds there for the last few years. Will be there again Feb 17-19. Will be skiing other areas most of February as well. Definitely be up for sone runs if it works out!
Glad you found the info helpful and hope you have a great trip!

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Im just catching up on this thread, I am planning whistler first week of April as I can get a room for a OK price ,right now its nuts. I might get a chance to do other stuff also.
Although Id kindda like to go visit KG and MM in Taos but that's a long shuttle ride from Banff I think.

Skicheryl

Skiing with the truck camper every chance we get!
Skier
Welcome @Skicheryl
Where do you tend to ski?

Thanks! I was on epic ski quite a few years ago. When I lived in Reno.

We ski at Copper if driving up from Wheat Ridge for the day, Vail/Beavercreek if good snow. Haven’t skied eagle county yet this season. BF likes the back bowls at Vail. I can only ski Blue Sky and Poppyfields!

We are headed to Steamboat Thursday for the weekend. Then back to Denver for a week or two before heading up to Montana.

Last year we took the truck camper on the road with MC pass, skied Squaw, AM, Northstar, Heavenly, Alta and DV.have the Maxx Pass this year so going to different resorts!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Last time we stayed at the Banff Aspen Lodge in town for the latter half of the week and it was great. A bit old but nice and couldn't beat the location. Winter will still be alive and well there. Have a blast.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
And, now we have a room! Last up - car vs. shuttle . . .

A car will be appreciated if you want to see the sites around the Park(s). Shuttles and Banff transit should be fine for skiing and getting around Banff. If you want to hike or go up the Icefields Parkway, or visit Yoho, it is best to have your own transportation. While transit will take you to Canmore, it is more convenient to drive. It is also easier to visit Lake Louise (the lake) with your own car.

The best thing about taking a shuttle is you don't need to concentrate on the road AND you can have more than one beer at the hill. The Kokanee Cabin at Lake Louise and the Trapper's at Sunshine can be really fun for après in the springtime.

But if you blow over 0.05, it's a license suspension.

I think the limit is 0.08 in a lot of North America.

So it's a bit tighter here, and check stops coming out of resorts are not uncommon in the spring. With stricter laws and regular enforcement, it is worth being extra careful in Alberta.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A car will be appreciated if you want to see the sites around the Park(s). Shuttles and Banff transit should be fine for skiing and getting around Banff. If you want to hike or go up the Icefields Parkway, or visit Yoho, it is best to have your own transportation. While transit will take you to Canmore, it is more convenient to drive. It is also easier to visit Lake Louise (the lake) with your own car.

The best thing about taking a shuttle is you don't need to concentrate on the road AND you can have more than one beer at the hill. The Kokanee Cabin at Lake Louise and the Trapper's at Sunshine can be really fun for après in the springtime.

But if you blow over 0.05, it's a license suspension.

I think the limit is 0.08 in a lot of North America.

So it's a bit tighter here, and check stops coming out of resorts are not uncommon in the spring. With stricter laws and regular enforcement, it is worth being extra careful in Alberta.
As long as the shuttle runs often enough from Banff to the resorts, we'd be using them, rather than the car. And I do hope to get to Lake Louise itself this time, too. What are these Icefields you mention? Need to google that - sounds interesting.

Looking at car rental, if we got an SUV it looks to be about $20 less than using the airport shuttle, so it's more about what else w might want to do than it is anything else.

Good point about the driving limit, though. It's a lot nicer to enjoy a drink without having to think about it. And if it's sunny, I LOVE an after ski drink outside at the mountain!

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last time we stayed at the Banff Aspen Lodge in town for the latter half of the week and it was great. A bit old but nice and couldn't beat the location. Winter will still be alive and well there. Have a blast.
That's where we stayed before, and where we'll be this time, too.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I'm in. We'll have to pretend for now that it will be the same dates. SkiBig3 site is wonky, so I can't book a room. Sent them a message.

I'm also going to have to check on the Calgary-Banff shuttle schedule before I book lodging. Only non-stop flights from Portland to Calgary arrive at 9 PM. I may need to reserve a couch at YYC also.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Just realized that I might have been hitting their system at midnight, Banff time, which is when the 25% off ends. Maybe caught in an internet Twilight Zone. I'm sure that means tomorrow they'll be announcing 35% off the rates ....

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
That's where we stayed before, and where we'll be this time, too.

You can't beat the location that's for sure. If you guys do rent a car Sabrina took us to Lake Minnewanka and we walked all around. it was gorgeous. Lots of space to park and walk around. Not far from where you are staying.

Sponsor