• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Can you do Snowbasin without a car?

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
HI All -

Trying to plan an early season ski trip to Snowbasin (mid December). Picking one of the mountain around SLC since they are the most easily accessible. When we go to Snowbird/Alta, the hotel will grab us at the airport so we don't need to rent a car. Since there's no lodging at Snowbasin proper, are there any accommodations close by that provide airport shuttle and then shuttle to and from the mountain each day?

Or am I better off renting a car and grabbing a hotel in Ogden?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
You can always take the frontrunner train up to Ogden and stay near the bus route to Snowbasin. But having a rental car might give you greater flexibility.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Bring a folding cot and crash in the handicap stall in the men’s room.
It’s cleaner and nicer than any hotel room I’ve been in since before the pandemic.
Otherwise you’re gonna want a car.

dm

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I seem to recall someone posting here about doing Snowbasin without a car, and was able to do it fine with bus/cabs, but it was limiting in terms of anything other than skiing and walking to dinner locally. (So proximity of lodging to restaurants and bus stops was key.)

But personally, I think having a car is the way to go if you can swing it. Especially if you like to get out early and park in a good spot.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just uber to the hotel. If your hotel is near a bus stop in Davis or Weber County you can get to the reosrt with out a car. But northern UT having a car helps for everything else.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bring a folding cot and crash in the handicap stall in the men’s room.
It’s cleaner and nicer than any hotel room I’ve been in since before the pandemic.
Otherwise you’re gonna want a car.

dm
Lol. First time I ever walked in to one of those bathrooms in ski boots I had to look around like, am I supposed to be in here?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin typically is going from 30% open to 90% open during the month of December. Jp could be open, but strawberry probabbly wont be open in mid December. Not sure about the new lift.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
No car needed. Skibus runs right from the Ogden Hotels (lots of walkable food and drink options) and the Ogden train station. Super easy. Spent a week skiing PowMow, Nordic and Snowbasin. Only rented a car to go to Park City for a day.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Personally, I wouldn't even consider it though it is possible. I would find it too limiting.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've done the bus from ogden to SB and I have used a car to get there. Much prefer the convenience of having a car.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
As noted in the attached UTA Odgen-Snowbasin bus timetable, service last season was scheduled from Dec 10 to Mar 24.
The UTA is making cutbacks. Has anyone heard whether this will affect Snowbasin bus service for the upcoming season?

Attachments

• UTA Ski Ogden.pdf
    837.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Above report by a friend summarizes recent trip to ogden/snowbasin sans car.

Sponsor

Staff online