• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Can I Parley This Into..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So my POS 2012 Buick just threw an engine code. Is this enough to parley myself into a Golf GTi with DSG gearbox and dispose of the toaster..err...Buick altogether? What's your approach to slide this past the financial adviser.. Ahem... I mean, it's throwing a code!!! :huh::D

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Just trade it in and tell her you needed a way home. The GTi was the most affordable thing in walking distance.

I really like the DSG, we have it our Touareg & Alltrack

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just trade it in and tell her you needed a way home. The GTi was the most affordable thing in walking distance.

I really like the DSG, we have it our Touareg & Alltrack

The Touareg has a DSG? New on on me, thought it had the standard 6 speed or later the 8 speed auto, same as the cayenne and the Q7....

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
The Touareg has a DSG? New on on me, thought it had the standard 6 speed or later the 8 speed auto, same as the cayenne and the Q7....

We have a 14 with the 8-spd Aisen tranny. I wonder if it’s not actually a DSG but just labeled on the shifter as a DSG?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We have a 14 with the 8-spd Aisen tranny. I wonder if it’s not actually a DSG but just labeled on the shifter as a DSG?

Pretty sure that is not a DSG, I had the same one in one of my Q7s. The higher power VAG DSG is normally the 7 speed

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Pretty sure that is not a DSG, I had the same one in one of my Q7s. The higher power VAG DSG is normally the 7 speed

Your right. I just looked, the shifter says 4 Motion on it.:doh: I thought it said DSG like the Alltrack.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
So my POS 2012 Buick just threw an engine code. Is this enough to parley myself into a Golf GTi with DSG gearbox and dispose of the toaster..err...Buick altogether? What's your approach to slide this past the financial adviser.. Ahem... I mean, it's throwing a code!!! :huh::D

Life is too short to be doing it driving around in a Buick!
How 'bout a "post racing bike, fending off mid life blues" GTI via trading in the old nail???

Works for me :D

It would be funny if the CODE could read out "Buy GTI Now!"

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Only if you buy the stick shift version!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I usually like standard transmissions but today’s auto shifters like the DSG are quicker shifting, super easy to launch, achieve better gas mileage with their increased number of gears/higher top gear highway ratios and many like the DSG can hold more power than their standard transmission versions.

And like every modern turbo car, the GTI is super easy to tune the engine for large power gains but many don’t know the DSG computer can also be easily tuned as well for improved shifting speed, adjust the speed when the vehicle shifts and clamping force to hold more power that helps drivability even when you’re not tuning the engine.

Had a COBB on my previous Mini that I could tune the engine in my driveway in about 5 mins through the same OBD port you use to remove/check engine codes. Cobb and about 10 other companies have engine and DSG tunes for the GTI.

So use a OBD reader on the Buick to remove/check engine code to sell it and the OBD port on the new GTI to transform the engine and DSG in about 10 mins with no hardware changes. :ogcool:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Mothball the Buick and make your kids drive it when they come of age..

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
[QUOTE="scott43, post: 363855, member: 75" maybe it'll spin a bearing soon...[/QUOTE]

That’s the spirit! Lol

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Just think of it as getting 40 or 50 new pairs of skis you can use nearly every day. Just get the car.

(it is so easy to spend YOUR money)

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Loosen up the oil filter and that will happen, and soon..

Lol. I was thinking about suggesting the loosening of the tranny fluid drain plug. I think the oil filter will be much messier.

Had a COBB on my previous Mini that I could tune the engine in my driveway in about 5 mins through the same OBD port you use to remove/check engine codes. Cobb and about 10 other companies have engine and DSG tunes for the GTI.

We have APR in the Touareg for both the tranny & engine and GIAC in the Alltrack for DSG & Engine. Definitely wakes things up. The use of OBDEleven also helps with some of the traction/transmission settings.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Wouldnt-you-really-rather-have-a-Buick.jpg

Uhh, NO!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
We have APR in the Touareg for both the tranny & engine and GIAC in the Alltrack for DSG & Engine. Definitely wakes things up. The use of OBDEleven also helps with some of the traction/transmission settings.

Have friends with both GIAC and APR tunes and both are very good tunes. The APR high power stage 2 and stage 3 packages turn Golf GTI/R cars into giant killers! Love watching videos of “stock looking” Stage 3 Golfs with all season tires smoking dedicated, stripped interior muscle cars with slicks at the drag strip. :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For me, part of the driving experience of the GTi is the seats...those are some awesome seats.

Sponsor