• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Can delaminated skis be skied?

jcat

Booting up
Skier
I've aleady bought some new skis, but my Atomic Centuries, at end of season, suddenly had the topsheet separated from top to binding on front of one ski, and back to binding on other ski (weird). I think it may have to do with keeping them in my car, baking in sun, after being used. :( *Anyway*, I was told they're most likely skiable if I cut the peeling laminate away, as the edges are still ok. What do you think? Would they be sell-able? Is topsheet a big deal, if it doesn't affect edges? Thanks for advice!

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
I've aleady bought some new skis, but my Atomic Centuries, at end of season, suddenly had the topsheet separated from top to binding on front of one ski, and back to binding on other ski (weird). I think it may have to do with keeping them in my car, baking in sun, after being used. :( *Anyway*, I was told they're most likely skiable if I cut the peeling laminate away, as the edges are still ok. What do you think? Would they be sell-able? Is topsheet a big deal, if it doesn't affect edges? Thanks for advice!

Congrats on your new rock skis! @Doug Briggs would be the guy I'd ask about this.

Edit - Any chance you have a photo of the damage?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I would epoxy them and have a second pair. You would have to be up front with selling them.

How old are they? I might be up for a project and a really reduced rate.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If the topsheet that delaminated is a clear plastic, it is probably just a protective layer. My Atomic Bent Chetlers have been delaminating for years and I epoxy the sheet back in place. My skis have a screen printed graphic that the plastic topsheet is protecting. I don't know about your Centurys. A photo would help. If the plastic looks like a thick milk carton plastic, then it is likely just protective. Repairing it versus cutting it off would be more about aesthetics than anything else. If you decide to take it off, you may want to pull the bindings and take it all off rather than leave cut ends forward and aft of the bindings.

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
20180701_164849.jpg 20180701_164849.jpg

Attachments

• 20180701_164841.jpg
    20180701_164841.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 284
  • 20180701_164841.jpg
    20180701_164841.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 274
TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Doug, I think what you've said sounds right. More cosmetic than anything. I've pulled the bindings already, and pulled/cut off what I could, but I could pull it all off...? I can't, but maybe someone stronger can...!

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some topsheets are purely cosmetic. Thin clear layers are an example. Ignore any damage.

Some topsheets are relevant for damping. Thick soft plastic is an example. Repair as needed. But the ski won't break regardless of the quality of your repair.

Some topsheets are structural. Anything with fiberglass or carbon in it. These need careful repair.

The wood core skis are capable of carrying lots of loads. Might not strand you on the hill but might ski like crap.

Foam cores are non structural. Fix your delamination immediately. You might get one lap once the delamination starts. I've fixed screwed up cores with thin laminating epoxy. But the ski is somewhat compromised.

I don't know the specifics of your ski (I mostly work on waterskis) so I might be totally wrong.

Now that I think about it, the skis are shot. Send them to me for proper disposal.

Eric

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Posted photos a couple of posts up...Thanks everyone for your advice!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
These are my Bent Chettlers in between repairs. The topsheet primarily peeled from the edges as snow would push up on the plastic that was sort of like a cap; the top rolled over the edge but not down to the edges. As you can see, the artwork is details so the plastic was seemingly primarily for protection of the artwork. I finally managed to get my topsheets to 'stay' with some Loctite EO 608 epoxy I got from Tognar.

20170829_140303_Queen Of The West Road.jpg
20170829_140257_Queen Of The West Road.jpg
20170829_134359.jpg

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Doug, and cool graphics! It's possible I could have gotten the topsheet fixed, though in summer it's tough to find people, and the ski sales were tempting...;)

I'll see if anyone wants my skis as rock skis! From what I can tell, they're still ok, though may not last TOO long. Thanks again for the info, everyone.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Thanks Doug, and cool graphics! It's possible I could have gotten the topsheet fixed, though in summer it's tough to find people, and the ski sales were tempting...;)

I'll see if anyone wants my skis as rock skis! From what I can tell, they're still ok, though may not last TOO long. Thanks again for the info, everyone.

That topsheet appears cosmetic to me - I'd vote ski them as your rock skis till they die for reals.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Why as rock skis? If the topsheet is purely/mostly for graphics protection, they'll ski just fine. I don't think the structural integrity of the ski has been compromised. Maybe a little less damp for the loss of material, but will you/did you notice that as you skied them?

I only went through the effort so the topsheet would protect the graphics which are way cool and secondarily to keep them from becoming torn off during the ski day. They are some very cool looking skis.

2014-02-03_09-42-26_27_montage.jpg

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Good point. I'll consider using them, or selling them...

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Haha...Thanks for your help! Problem is I need more bindings...;)