• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Camera recommendation?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
That's a small viewfinder!
Let us know how you like it.

The viewfinder, which is people's biggest beef in every review, is fine if you have good eyes or contacts. It is a pain in the butt if you have glasses. This is bugging me a lot at present because I generally hang around the house with just my glasses. But I always use my contacts if I'm going somewhere (like skiing). I can use the LCD screen if I take off my glasses or use the pair that has a bifocal lens (the pair I generally wear do not). But I'd discourage buying this camera if you are relying on the viewfinder and use glasses.

Beyond that, this is a pretty complex item, nowhere near as simple as my old Canon SD990IS, which matched its "point and shoot" category. This thing I'll be assigning custom buttons for ski day shots. I'll need one for still snow scenes (I try to adjust for snow when the picture is taken and not in post-processing.). And another for action shots, using the 4k burst. The touch screen is turning out to be more useful than I envisioned because of all the possible adjustments you can pick. I keep forgetting to use it, but I'm sure that will change.

There's a bear hanging around the last few days or I'd be out in the woods. Once he leaves, I'll be trying to compare it to my other Panasonic that I have plenty of experience with (the FZ200, far too big for skiing). I just don't want to be totally focused on the camera and let my guard down.

Sponsor

Staff online