• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Camera recommendation?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I use a Samsung S8. It takes amazingly good photos. Bad lighting can mess with it but I have that issue with cameras too unless you really set up for it. On the phone I can hold the button and it sounds like a machine gun. Many photos in a very short amount of time. Go through them to critique form or pull out the good ones and dump the rest.

Many of the photos you see in ski reviews by @Philpug and @Tricia are from my phone. When you can read the graphics on the ski while someone is going by at 25 or 30mph, that's pretty good. And I have yet to find a camera that I can make a call on!:D

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello all,

I just got back from a couple of great days skiing with my 8 and 11 year old girls and my wife. I noticed that many times it was near impossible to get some shots with my point and shoot LUMIX-tough pocket camera.
Focus acquisition was to slow, even for a skier against a white field of powder! Also the buttons were so recessed that using them with gloves was hit or miss.

I have a mirrorless camera and an IPhone 7, so what I want is a better skier’s pocket camera, basically something that I can whip out and get the shot:
  • Small enough to fit in a large ski jacket pocket
  • Touch screen not essential to operation
  • Good sized spaced apart controls, in other words, operable in gloves
  • ~28-100mm equivalent focal length
  • Image stabilization
  • Ideally, a (Accessory) viewfinder
Fast!
  • Fast focus acquisition
  • Fast wake up
  • Fast shutter speed (combination of high ISO and/or wide aperture)
  • Ideally, good tracking autofocus
  • Quick access to commonly needed operations

What I don’t demand:

• Superb image quality
  • High pixel counts
  • Shallow depth of field

You want the holy grail of cameras! :roflmao:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Phone wise I understand the Samsung S9 and S10's have top notch cameras. Pixels as noted have cloud storage simplicity.

Too, my kids first gen Pixel (believe all do) have option to double click the on button and it fires up in camera mode. Does multi pics (5 to 10 images per sec I think) with great results.

Id use one but like lanyards, price and ruggedness of std camera. Too the one I use is rated tho -10c

James

Out There
Instructor
You need viewfinder.
Maybe the one Karlo recommended?
Prob 5 yrs ago I got a Nikon V1.1st generation. It's not pocketable though. But the electronic viewfinder, quiik shutter response, fast autofocus, were the main reasons I went for it. Shutter lag on most non dslr cameras at that time was ridiculous.
But...it's just big even though it's small. I skiedvwith it under the coat for awhile but it's a pain.

At the time there was a website, Steve somebody I think. He did quite good reviews covering digital cameras and such issues. His photos were horrible, but even Leica was sending him $30k cameras to try.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the new iphones are supposed to be pretty good. Your new phone a new iPhone?
Yes, it’s an IPhone 7, it does remarkably well. I pulled out the Lumix camera because I was so far away(bottom of the runout), so I wanted zoom, and also, as mentioned above, operatic the phone, even with touchscreen gloves, was kind of hit and miss.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You need viewfinder.
At the time there was a website, Steve somebody I think. He did quite good reviews covering digital cameras and such issues.
Probably Steve Huff. Yep, there are many camera review sites, even more than ski reviews:ogcool:

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You want the holy grail of cameras! :roflmao:
If by ‘holy grail’ you mean unattainable, I don’t think that is true. The RX100 VI for example fulfills all listed requirements.
The reason I’m not running out and buying one right now is the price:eek:, along with the fact that the viewfinder isn’t great (tiny and since it’s a pop up, you can’t add an eye cup).

Simply because I already have Sony E mount lenses, and due to cost , I think I will stick to my Alpha a6xxx camera, since it does (just) fit in my pocket.
But if I didn’t already have that, the RX100 VI would be very high on my list

A6000 with kit lens vs RX100 VI:

D3BDCD21-F9EE-4C44-B9C7-7CE1398B447F.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If by ‘holy grail’ you mean unattainable, I don’t think that is true. The RX100 VI for example fulfills all listed requirements.
The reason I’m not running out and buying one right now is the price:eek:, along with the fact that the viewfinder isn’t great (tiny and since it’s a pop up, you can’t add an eye cup).

Simply because I already have Sony E mount lenses, and due to cost , I think I will stick to my Alpha a6xxx camera, since it does (just) fit in my pocket.

View attachment 71629

Is the AF in the RX100 that good?

James

Out There
Instructor

View attachment 71629
Well is there another camera you've come across with a better viewfinder? Seems to me, outside on snow, that's #1. Plus, I prefer to look into a viewfinder.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
At the time there was a website, Steve somebody I think. He did quite good reviews covering digital cameras and such issues. His photos were horrible, but even Leica was sending him $30k cameras to try.
Steve’s digicam ... been a long time since I’ve been there

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
Yes.

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-vi-m6/5

For skiing, highly pertinent is “ The Lock-on versions of each mode are only available in AF-C mode and attempt to track the chosen subject even if it moves around the scene.”
I might also look at the new Rx0M2, it is super tiny and takes great shots. I use to with my kids in the pool, etc. The challenge will be the 24mm lens and needing to be relatively close but same sensor as RX100 in a much smaller and rugged package.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Looks that is THE camera to have for skiing photography and video. Wow. Il get one for next season.

Not so fast, literally, consider the HX99.

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/sony-hx99-vs-sony-rx100-vi

So many variants though, so I’m confused; HX99, HX99V. Then HX90, 90V? The earlier model, HX80, is probably fine, and cheaper. Everything is slower; the lens, the autofocus, the max fps, but all probably perfectly fine. What we get is that incredible 30x optical zoom. How about that shot of our kids at the top of a trail and we’re at the bottom?

I took these photos with one of the tour’s member’s HX80. (The skiing photos are by another member below, using a Samsung phone) I’m really far, I’m on a facing ridge.

However, not having a tripod, I had to find a rock to place the camera. I also took a video of one member skiing, using max zoom, a copy I never got from the camera’s owner. Amazing the zoom. But, I recall very dark. I chose the RX because doing such high zoom would be rare for me, and I wouldn’t want to deal with finding a way to steady the camera at such zoom. I mean, if carrying a tripod, then why not carry a DSLR, like these folks?

A0D28BF5-AC55-418D-A6D6-D95975642D04.png

What camera is that? Looks serious.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Because of this thread, I ended up spending money to replace my trusty Canon SD 990IS, used to take close to 100% of my skiing pictures for the last decade. (I have a different camera for wildlife where I don't care about the size of the camera so much as its zoom and speed.)

I looked at the Sony RX100, various Mark versions, III to VI, but just cannot get over the price of them, especially with a very low zoom range. I like the aperture speed, but when I looked at the cameras I'm currently using, neither is below 2.8. I used to have a film camera at 1.4, but the truth is, it's rarely needed because I'm not a pro. And when I was doing some commercial work for a store, I used a tripod and bounce flash to overcome issues that would have needed a 1.4 lens. Whereas, size is a huge issue for a ski camera, as is a viewfinder because of how bright it can be, and if you're going to film a friend for movement analysis, you are going to want that zoom to get a higher number of turns in the sequence. I could have settled on the RX100 VI and waited five years, I guess, but even the older Sony's in the line are still really expensive. So if money is not a thing with you, go for it.

I settled after many nights spent reading reviews, spec sheets, forums, starting to select one of the various Sony's and then just freaking at the price, on a Panasonic. The camera had to be at least as good functionally as my tiny Canon. Frustrations on the Canon have been the inadequate zoom, lack of WiFi, and really not a whole lot else. It doesn't have RAW, but I'm not printing most pictures and have sort of a routine after all these years tweaking the jpegs. The new camera does have RAW and if I can't get the jpegs I like, I may have to learn about working with RAW, who knows? At least it's there if I want it. My wildlife camera shoots both. The old camera was pretty good about noise, it's rarely an issue. Also very good with snow pictures as there's a snow setting. That will be lost. :-( The new camera will be bulkier and heavier, but still fanny pack sized. And small enough in that fanny pack to be probably fine in a fall, unlike my bigger wildlife camera. It has a viewfinder. And the zoom is better and it has a larger sensor, so I'm hoping that its zooming and crop performance is better.

The model is the ZS100. A hefty price, but a fraction of the Sony. Apparently many have issues with the viewfinder, but the old Canon has an old tiny non-EVF viewfinder and my wildlife camera as a same-technology viewfinder that looks to be similar resolution, so I'm hoping it's not a huge issue. (Reviews keep taking issue wth it and with some softness of the lens.). I would have liked to have stayed with Canon, but they have been steadily just dispensing entirely with viewfinders since my 990IS, which is why I still use it. I find those LCD screens to be unusable outside or without my bifocals, which is just not conducive to taking ski pictures. I wrote them a number of letters over the years about this, but I guess my demographic doesn't interest them. So, I've been moving to Panasonic, most of their stuff still has viewfinders.

New camera arrives tomorrow. Will probably spend the entire summer reading the user manual and experimenting. Will report back. Total cost, including a case, external charger, spare battery, and a rubber grip to hold the camera better, comes in under HALF the price of most of the Sony RX100's.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Because of this thread, I ended up spending money to replace my trusty Canon SD 990IS, used to take close to 100% of my skiing pictures for the last decade. (I have a different camera for wildlife where I don't care about the size of the camera so much as its zoom and speed.)

I looked at the Sony RX100, various Mark versions, III to VI, but just cannot get over the price of them, ...... Will probably spend the entire summer reading the user manual and experimenting. Will report back. Total cost, including a case, external charger, spare battery, and a rubber grip to hold the camera better, comes in under HALF the price of most of the Sony RX100's.

Nice, Most folks I know who've had the Lumix give's em great reviews. With a 1" sensor ... lighting/speed shouldn't be an issue.

Course, you need to buy an extra battery or two, always liked having an extra and given cost delta ; )

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
As you saw, I did, that's crucial with any camera. Over time, I tend to buy even third and fourth batteries... Plus an EXTERNAL charger! How often do you want to wait around to charge the battery IN CAMERA? I want to just slap another one in and keep going! I have been skiing with three spares spread around in various pockets because the impact of super cold days on batteries is so big. (Won't have three yet for this winter..)

.... Delivery truck about an hour out....

James

Out There
Instructor

I looked at the Sony RX100, various Mark versions, III to VI, but just cannot get over the price of them, especially with a very low zoom range. I like the aperture speed, but when I looked at the cameras I'm currently using, neither is below 2.8. I used to have a film camera at 1.4, but the truth is, it's rarely needed because I'm not a pro. And when I was doing some commercial work for a store, I used a tripod and bounce flash to overcome issues that would have needed a 1.4 lens. Whereas, size is a huge issue for a ski camera, as is a viewfinder because of how bright it can be, and if you're going to film a friend for movement analysis, you are going to want that zoom to get a higher number of turns in the sequence. I could have settled on the RX100 VI and waited five years, I guess, but even the older Sony's in the line are still really expensive. So if money is not a thing with you, go for it.

I settled after many nights spent reading reviews, spec sheets, forums, starting to select one of the various Sony's and then just freaking at the price, on a Panasonic. The camera had to be at least as good functionally as my tiny Canon. Frustrations on the Canon have been the inadequate zoom, lack of WiFi, and really not a whole lot else. It doesn't have RAW, but I'm not printing most pictures and have sort of a routine after all these years tweaking the jpegs. The new camera does have RAW and if I can't get the jpegs I like, I may have to learn about working with RAW, who knows? At least it's there if I want it. My wildlife camera shoots both. The old camera was pretty good about noise, it's rarely an issue. Also very good with snow pictures as there's a snow setting. That will be lost. :-( The new camera will be bulkier and heavier, but still fanny pack sized. And small enough in that fanny pack to be probably fine in a fall, unlike my bigger wildlife camera. It has a viewfinder. And the zoom is better and it has a larger sensor, so I'm hoping that its zooming and crop performance is better.

The model is the ZS100. A hefty price, but a fraction of the Sony. Apparently many have issues with the viewfinder, but the old Canon has an old tiny non-EVF viewfinder and my wildlife camera as a same-technology viewfinder that looks to be similar resolution, so I'm hoping it's not a huge issue. (Reviews keep taking issue wth it and with some softness of the lens.). I would have liked to have stayed with Canon, but they have been steadily just dispensing entirely with viewfinders since my 990IS, which is why I still use it. I find those LCD screens to be unusable outside or without my bifocals, which is just not conducive to taking ski pictures. I wrote them a number of letters over the years about this, but I guess my demographic doesn't interest them. So, I've been moving to Panasonic, most of their stuff still has viewfinders.

New camera arrives tomorrow. Will probably spend the entire summer reading the user manual and experimenting. Will report back. Total cost, including a case, external charger, spare battery, and a rubber grip to hold the camera better, comes in under HALF the price of most of the Sony RX100's.

IMG_6393.JPG

That's a small viewfinder!
Let us know how you like it.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
In most reviews, it's people's biggest beef. So far it serms just fine, but need more time with it. I got a bit bogged down on its WiFi capabilities today. No Bluetooth, which would have been really nice.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I take a lot of ski photos with two old, cheap digital cameras. Most valuable feature for me is that they turn on quickly and I can snap a picture in a couple of seconds. I also use the sport mode to take numerous short burst photos and later pick the best to post on Pugski. I always take my right hand glove off for picture taking and keep an arm band/strap on that glove so it dangles while off. I have hot hands, so don't mind pulling glove off in all temps above zero.
I got my first smart phone recently and it does take much higher res/better photos, bursts, video, etc, but not as quick on the draw for spontaneous shots of a fleeting scene or action. Also, I am still learning quick/effective photo cloud storage techniques with the smart phone. It will be months before this dinosaur learns to snap a photo and post it immediately to Pugski.

My other technique is that I take a lot of low res shots. A low res shot of some nice action is better than a high res shot that never gets taken:)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online