• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
My favorite lift back then was the raceway t-bar. Mid-day when the chairs were clogged, nobody was on it...because most people couldn't handle surface lifts! Up the lift, scoot over to Rhodie Glen, repeat until your legs gave out LOL

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
you forgot about montage ;) at least 30 min closer to you, better expert terrain (than elk), better lodge (than elk), better snowmaking (than elk), better parking (than elk)....but i digress.

fwiw, i used to ski alot at CB during highschool and i was also confused alterations they had done on the eastern side of the hill. the last time we have been at CB was for a buckman's demo day during the week.

You know, you're right. We should check it out this season, especially with these crowded tidings from CBK. Funny, I used to say the coldest skiing I've ever done was up at Jay Peak in the beginning of January one year. That was until a wicked cold spell a couple years ago -- it was so cold CBK wouldn't open, but we were already up there at a buddy's cabin, so we went to Montage instead. We got off the lift and as soon as we turned into the wind, my younger son started crying. But, in an exercise of not exposing ANY skin, we made a day of it and can say we did. Once my goggles crystallized closed and I couldn't see anymore, that's when we (I) called it.
Yep, forget ELK! Show IL Duce we're not gonna put up with his darned wall ...er fence! Go to Montage!

...will I practice what I preach if skiing in PA?
:yeah:NO!

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
The mountain opened up today. King Tut, Meadows, Laurel Glade and Coolmore. Different from what I have ever seen before but confirmation of what I thought they were doing from watching the web cams. But why the change?. Something is or was going on just above the base Sullivan Quad. Neither the the bottom of Sullivan trail or Honeymoon Lane had any snow made on them at all. (thus no Marjies either, always one of the first to open). Interesting twist.

Mother nature has not been too helpful either as the days have not gotten too warm, but the nights have not gotten cold either and I guess the wet bulb temp has remained up there. Oh yea the rain too. Was hoping to start this Sunday but luck with the weather (in both cold and warm activities) has not been a strong suit for me this year. Oh well, will try to kick it off next weekend.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
...I loved that Mtn top restaurant. Good to hear it's back!

For now! That place has opened and closed multiple times in the years since I've been a regular -- I'd bet a lot more than that! Then again, with the new hotel at the bottom of Stevenson, maybe the added traffic will give it a longer life in its current guise.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
For now! That place has opened and closed multiple times in the years since I've been a regular -- I'd bet a lot more than that! Then again, with the new hotel at the bottom of Stevenson, maybe the added traffic will give it a longer life in its current guise.

I'm not sure what you guys mean. Cameltop was open pretty much every weekend during the "heart" of the season up till last year. Weekdays and shoulder seasons it was probably closed but I thought it was pretty much operated on a par with say the East Side Bistro bar in the main lodge. I wouldn't look for it to be like that now. We were up there for a fall hike and apparently its quite the fancy place in its new life. They had quite the fancy wedding going on while we were up there. I don't see it being used so much as a top of the mountain ski lodge like it was, instead it going to be a restaurant open in the evenings and $$$. One thing you may see is a Sunday brunch as that has been a big staple of theirs during the warm weather months.

Glen lodge has been transformed into some kind of food venue but I'm not exactly up to date on what exactly that is. We like Trails End Grill in the hotel by the bottom of Stevenson and have dined there several times. Great patio to sit out an sun on in the spring down there.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
And probably also the case with Rhodedendren Glen being a gladed run :eek:
I remember Rhododendron Glen and Laurel Glades when they had trees. Also going over the alpine slide when you could cross all the way from The Birches to Rhodo. And the mid station on Sullivan chair.

Actually, what's surprising is how LITTLE they've changed the ski area over the years. I would have thought they would have found a way to continue expansion beyond Nile Mile by now. After all it's been 20 years since they added terrain. I think they could add one more sweeping run and still have a return via the old railroad bed down to the Stevenson. Just need to work the State Park angle. Clearly the ski area part has become a sideline.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I remember Rhododendron Glen and Laurel Glades when they had trees. Also going over the alpine slide when you could cross all the way from The Birches to Rhodo. And the mid station on Sullivan chair.

Actually, what's surprising is how LITTLE they've changed the ski area over the years. I would have thought they would have found a way to continue expansion beyond Nile Mile by now. After all it's been 20 years since they added terrain. I think they could add one more sweeping run and still have a return via the old railroad bed down to the Stevenson. Just need to work the State Park angle. Clearly the ski area part has become a sideline.

I wouldn't say that. The resort has become a year round resort now. Yes the water park makes more money then the ski area but they certainly for the most part have kept up with improvements in the ski area operations outside of expansion. The hotel is really nice and now that the dust is settling up in the Pocono's with the "water park resorts " (there are 3 right now) a lot of reviews from people I've heard place Aquatopia at the top.

I don't know if they have pulled back on the idea of expansion or just placed it on the back burner but building anything in this part of the country is expen$ive and time consuming even having rights to the land. As I stated before I would like to see the middle of the mountain redesigned and upgraded more then expansion as of now. (not against it either) More then that, today I would just like to see it get cold so they can make some snow and I can start my season next weekend

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just to make it clear. The "water park" I mention that makes more then the ski area is the Camelbeach park they run in the summer, not Aquatopia which is in the hotel. They also have the Zip Line (scary looking to me), Mountain Coaster and Alpine Slide (not the old one from the summit).

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone else remember this at Camelback? I tried it once or twice but it was pretty scary. There wasn't much sliding if you went down!
c466cd772baaa5b9d6b47832af9e209b--vintage-ski-mountain-resort.jpg

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, I did the grass skiing. You learned to carve or you went down...hard! LOL

They actually took away the lower part of the John Bailey slope, as it has one of the water park rides which is a permanent structure

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And The Hump had islands of trees. I remember skiing the T-Bar line during Camelback's first All-Night Ski.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
...I would have thought they would have found a way to continue expansion beyond Nile Mile by now. After all it's been 20 years since they added terrain. I think they could add one more sweeping run and still have a return via the old railroad bed down to the Stevenson. Just need to work the State Park angle...

Your mouth to God’s ears. Spreading skiers and riders out on that side of the mountain could only help the nightmare at the base of Stevenson that is bound to become exponentially worse now that the terrain park feeds into it.

What is the State Park angle?

Sponsor

Staff online