• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada California in June?

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Given the season that California is having, is it nuts to bring my skis along on a road trip through Cali in early June? I imagine Mammoth will still be skiing, though that's kind of out of the way of my trip as planned, but what about Tahoe? Any place in the area stay open that late with the kind of snowfall we've had this year? I've got plenty of other stuff to do on this trip (hike, MTB, etc) from SD/OC/LA/Big Sur/Monterey/SF/Yosemite/Tahoe over two weeks, but I'll probably be jonesing to ski by then, so I figured I'd ask. Any thoughts from the locals?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yes it is nuts. Unless you are backcountry trying to keep a streak, the majority resorts shut down 1week after easter based on attendence and not based on conditions. The July4th skiing that occurs is typically for novelty only, not for good skiing.

Check back before you begin your trip; if you are jonesing for any turn and know how to backcountry, bring your setup, otherwise your time will be better spent exploring the natural splendor off of skis. For example, spend your money on a whitewater rafting tour or kayaking, rather then the same money on a lift ticket.
Yosemite waterfalls and other water flow related activities should be spectacular with the snowpack.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mammoth should be open. It's not far from Yosemite - actually a pretty drive past Mono Lake.

Squaw has stayed open pretty late - especially with KSL. Maybe weekends only.

The waterskiing on the reservoirs should be good as well.

Go inland. June gloom fog dominates the coast. It will be warmer in Tahoe than SF.

Eric

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I plan to camp and ski in Mammoth in May and in June. How good it will be does depend on what happens for the rest of the winter. it should still be pretty good, up top at least.

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Given the season that California is having, is it nuts to bring my skis along on a road trip through Cali in early June? I imagine Mammoth will still be skiing, though that's kind of out of the way of my trip as planned, but what about Tahoe? Any place in the area stay open that late with the kind of snowfall we've had this year? I've got plenty of other stuff to do on this trip (hike, MTB, etc) from SD/OC/LA/Big Sur/Monterey/SF/Yosemite/Tahoe over two weeks, but I'll probably be jonesing to ski by then, so I figured I'd ask. Any thoughts from the locals?

Not local.... but do it. I did it... a few times.

I really enjoyed myself. I'm actually thinking about going in June also.

June 2005: wanted to ski on my 40th bday. Landed in Reno, drove around Tahoe, went to Yosemite afterwards (Tioga Pass was closed).
June/July 2006: Landed in Las Vegas. Saw Valley of Fire, Hover Dam and Death Valley.
June/July 2010: Landed in LA. With my 12yr old, Yosemite, Universal, coast.
July 2017: Landed in LA. Skied Squaw and Mammoth... saw X, Garbage and Blondie at the Santa Barbara Bowl.

You can find my 2010 TR here: https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/california-dreaming-june-26-to-july-5-2010/

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier

Not local.... but do it. I did it... a few times. (

June 2005: wanted to ski on my 40th bday. Landed in Reno, drove around Tahoe, went to Yosemite afterwards (Tioga Pass was closed).
June/July 2006: Landed in Las Vegas. Saw Valley of Fire, Hover Dam and Death Valley.
June/July 2010: Landed in LA. With my 12yr old, Yosemite, Universal, coast.
July 2017: Landed in LA. Skied Squaw and Mammoth... saw X, Garbage and Blondie at the Santa Barbara Bowl.

You can find my 2010 TR here: https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/california-dreaming-june-26-to-july-5-2010/

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You can also just pack your boots and rent skis and poles. As long as the resorts are turning chairs, there will be rentals. They might not be top of the line, but you will get out.

TS
Beartown

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I'm headed to Squaw tomorrow for the weekend. If I'm digging the conditions I might just bring my boots on my June trip. Just got my Half Dome hiking permit, so I'm definitely doing that, but I could probably squeeze in a day of skiing in Tahoe afterward. Looking forward to it!

Sponsor

Staff online