• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Well, I liked your post because I appreciate the info and can set expectations appropriately, but I don't like it @Mike Rogers :P

We will make the best of it and hope the Cat operator still has a secret stash of north facing shaded stuff to offer. We got a screaming overnight lodging deal there at Fernie for the 1st night - basically a bed and a lift ticket for $75 USD and I kinda/sorta have to "work" that day - it is what it is. A bad day skiing is better than . . . well you get the idea.

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
And I think you will still have fun. We had a great weekend, it just won't be the a classic Fernie experience.

But things can change really quickly...so lots of hope!

zag

Putting on skis
Skier
You have the right idea.

Fernie's marketing team loves to sell the "5 alpine bowls". In reality, most skiers who prefer more challenging terrain will enjoy the ridges between the bowls the most.

Note: Before the late 1990s, Fernie only included the Lizard Bowl, Boomerang, and the Cedar bowl. This is the "old side". Anything served by the Timber Chair, White Pass Chair, or Polar Peak is considered to be the "new side"

I typically start my day on the new side. Take timber up and ski either "Big Bang" the open area dropping from Siberia Ridge to the White Pass load, or Mitchy Chutes: the trees to the skier's right of Big Bang. The trees between Big Bang and timber Lift Line can also be nice. Big Bang and Mitch face north. Big Bang is best access via a short sidestep, skiers right of the timber chair. This leads to a high traverse from timber to Siberia Ridge. Alternately, you can climb the entire ridge (obvious bootpack), but there is little advantage unless you are skiing "morning glory"

There are 2 north facing options from white pass. If you want to stay on the "new side" you can drop "Gotta Go", "Cobra Rock" or "Anaconda". To get there, you need to traverse along the ridge that seperates Timber Bowl and Currie bowl. For Gotta Go and Cobra Rock, take the high traverse, which is about halfway down the knot chutes. It can be a bit rocky on the ribs between the chutes, but it goes. You have two choices here: 1. Hike to the top of the Knot Chutes (south facing) and catch the obvious traverse line halfway down, or 2. follow the rope line that runs skier left of the whitepass until you see an opening marked with a "double black". This is the start of the high traverse.
To get to anaconda (5 chutes and skiable trees between them) take the lower traverse (high works too). This runs at the base of the Knots and is signed.
WIth either choice, you should try to catch the cat-track below the fans. Take this until you get to the bootleg glades, or even better, the trees beyond bootleg, but before diamond back, for another shot of north facing goodness.

If you decide to drop into lizard, you will need to take the "reverse traverse". Jump on the catrack heading into Currie and follow the ropeline on your left. You'll wind across the bowl and come to a sign warning of steep terrain. Keep going Stay high if you want to drop the saddles...they're signed and obvious, except for Lone Fir..for this one follow the sidestep up and beyond from "saddle". It is usually worth it.
If the saddles aren't looking good, traverse all the way across currie to get to the front 3 runs (skydive, decline and stag leap). From here, a short sidestep to your left will lead to to Easter Bowl, part of the Lizard Bowl, and possibly my favorite run at fernie. The trees skiers right of this are also quite nice. Another option is to ski "decline" a bit, this is the left branch of the front three, and then jump into the trees on your left to link up with the Window Chutes. The trees between all of the front three runs go, and can be really run, though only left of decline will give you northern aspects.

The Elk Chair is painfully slow, so I think the best way of getting to the old side is through the Saddles, Easter Bowl, or Window Chutes. These runs you can go back to Timber or link up with the bear chair.

The bear gives you the best access to Cedar Bowl. Unfortunately, the best parts of Cedar (Snake, Gorby, and Steep and Deep), face south. Maybe it will offer good corn? Out of bounds, you can drop from snake ridge into the Fish bowl. This faces north. There is avalanche risk, but a groomer has packed down the path back to the resort, so it is an easy return via bootpack if you don't have skins.

The Boomerang area forms a min-bowl, with good northern shots off Boomerang Ridge into Cedar. Look at King Fir and Cedar Ridge, and from the Bear Run into the boomerang area via the Bear Chutes. The Boomerang run itself tends to stay in the shade.

"kangaroo" from the haulback and "freeway" in the Lizard bowl are usually ice-bumps. I would avoid these unless you are in the mood, or if it is hot.

For melt-freeze, the southern faces might provide some good corn. Look to ski Mars from Siberia Ridge into the Siberia Bowl.

Knot Chutes into Timber or the Suprise Trees (just drop south instead of north when going to Anaconda).

Polar Peak or Concussion drop south into Currie. Pick whatever line looks good.

Sunnyside drops south from the Bear run into the Lizard Bowl, and Deep Space drops South from North Ridge into the Boomerang mini-bowl.

Snake is your southern choice for Cedar.
You have the right idea.

Fernie's marketing team loves to sell the "5 alpine bowls". In reality, most skiers who prefer more challenging terrain will enjoy the ridges between the bowls the most.

Note: Before the late 1990s, Fernie only included the Lizard Bowl, Boomerang, and the Cedar bowl. This is the "old side". Anything served by the Timber Chair, White Pass Chair, or Polar Peak is considered to be the "new side"

I typically start my day on the new side. Take timber up and ski either "Big Bang" the open area dropping from Siberia Ridge to the White Pass load, or Mitchy Chutes: the trees to the skier's right of Big Bang. The trees between Big Bang and timber Lift Line can also be nice. Big Bang and Mitch face north. Big Bang is best access via a short sidestep, skiers right of the timber chair. This leads to a high traverse from timber to Siberia Ridge. Alternately, you can climb the entire ridge (obvious bootpack), but there is little advantage unless you are skiing "morning glory"

There are 2 north facing options from white pass. If you want to stay on the "new side" you can drop "Gotta Go", "Cobra Rock" or "Anaconda". To get there, you need to traverse along the ridge that seperates Timber Bowl and Currie bowl. For Gotta Go and Cobra Rock, take the high traverse, which is about halfway down the knot chutes. It can be a bit rocky on the ribs between the chutes, but it goes. You have two choices here: 1. Hike to the top of the Knot Chutes (south facing) and catch the obvious traverse line halfway down, or 2. follow the rope line that runs skier left of the whitepass until you see an opening marked with a "double black". This is the start of the high traverse.
To get to anaconda (5 chutes and skiable trees between them) take the lower traverse (high works too). This runs at the base of the Knots and is signed.
WIth either choice, you should try to catch the cat-track below the fans. Take this until you get to the bootleg glades, or even better, the trees beyond bootleg, but before diamond back, for another shot of north facing goodness.

If you decide to drop into lizard, you will need to take the "reverse traverse". Jump on the catrack heading into Currie and follow the ropeline on your left. You'll wind across the bowl and come to a sign warning of steep terrain. Keep going Stay high if you want to drop the saddles...they're signed and obvious, except for Lone Fir..for this one follow the sidestep up and beyond from "saddle". It is usually worth it.
If the saddles aren't looking good, traverse all the way across currie to get to the front 3 runs (skydive, decline and stag leap). From here, a short sidestep to your left will lead to to Easter Bowl, part of the Lizard Bowl, and possibly my favorite run at fernie. The trees skiers right of this are also quite nice. Another option is to ski "decline" a bit, this is the left branch of the front three, and then jump into the trees on your left to link up with the Window Chutes. The trees between all of the front three runs go, and can be really run, though only left of decline will give you northern aspects.

The Elk Chair is painfully slow, so I think the best way of getting to the old side is through the Saddles, Easter Bowl, or Window Chutes. These runs you can go back to Timber or link up with the bear chair.

The bear gives you the best access to Cedar Bowl. Unfortunately, the best parts of Cedar (Snake, Gorby, and Steep and Deep), face south. Maybe it will offer good corn? Out of bounds, you can drop from snake ridge into the Fish bowl. This faces north. There is avalanche risk, but a groomer has packed down the path back to the resort, so it is an easy return via bootpack if you don't have skins.

The Boomerang area forms a min-bowl, with good northern shots off Boomerang Ridge into Cedar. Look at King Fir and Cedar Ridge, and from the Bear Run into the boomerang area via the Bear Chutes. The Boomerang run itself tends to stay in the shade.

"kangaroo" from the haulback and "freeway" in the Lizard bowl are usually ice-bumps. I would avoid these unless you are in the mood, or if it is hot.

For melt-freeze, the southern faces might provide some good corn. Look to ski Mars from Siberia Ridge into the Siberia Bowl.

Knot Chutes into Timber or the Suprise Trees (just drop south instead of north when going to Anaconda).

Polar Peak or Concussion drop south into Currie. Pick whatever line looks good.

Sunnyside drops south from the Bear run into the Lizard Bowl, and Deep Space drops South from North Ridge into the Boomerang mini-bowl.

Snake is your southern choice for Cedar.

@Mike Rogers That is a fantastic written guide to skiing Fernie. Fernie Bill would be proud.

I'll add my vote that if it's early in day after fresh snow, the ridge bootpack from Timber chair to Morning Glory is always a worthwhile trip, cuz later in the day the long ride out of Sierra bowl isn't as enjoyable.

Spent at least 15 days there in the past couple years and keep going back. The ability to traverse all 5 diverse aspect bowls with only 1-2 chair rides keeps winning my and my pals over every time.

Among all the Canadian Rockies area mountains, Revelstoke is the only other one that I'd consider if I had to choose only one mountain to ride for the rest of my days.

TS
Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Liz's notes on Louise from Saturday:

A very enjoyable day at lake louise! But typical spring skiing, ie. you need to be strategic with where you're skiing. Aspect and timing is everything! Coverage is actually pretty good on the backside. The same cannot be said for the front side. Grizzly gully area is not holding up well. I uploaded lots of photos to try and give a good sense of resort conditions.

North aspects on the backside were super fun! Nice, chalky snow in ER7 and ER6 in the morning. ER6 skied probably just as well as it ever does (on not powder days). Pretty peppery though! Skied ER3 in the late morning. Was a bit crusty and hard, not like the nice conditions we had on the more northern faces. Skied down Upshoots on the frontside before lunch and it was atrocious. Tons of ice cookies scattered throughout the moguls. I thought it would get better as I went down, but it did not. Then getting into grizzly gully was a bit of an adventure. Trying to find a line of snow through the scree
1f615.png
:/ Skied E gully after lunch where we also found- over all- nice chalk with some sluff. Skied F gully after which was a bit icier but I've had worse!

Mike convinced me to do Upshoots again, and the sun had done its magic, making for very enjoyable slush bump skiing. Skied West Bowl and found nice snow on a firm base. The ski out was a bit spicy, as predicted, but better once we joined the traverse line that takes you out from the main gully.

So, overall we had a very nice spring day at LL. I wouldn't rush to leave the city to get to the hill just to give the snow a chance to warm up a bit. If you ski the wrong aspect at the wrong time, you're going to have a bad time. If you ski the right aspect, then move to solar aspects once they warm up a bit, then you're going to have a good time!

My notes on Kicking Horse from Sunday

Good overnight freeze, any slope that wasn't in the shade had developed a good crust. Frozen all day at upper elevations.

Northerly aspects had good snow. We found the snow on CPR and Whitewall to be quite nice. It was better off T1. It was worth the hike for all of the northern chutes. Despite a trickier than usual entrance, "Consequence" on T1 North held the day's best snow.

The lower mountain was a bit mixed. By the end of the day, there was some heavy slush near the base. There was some corn below the top of Pioneer. The in-between was icy.

The south faces up top looked rough all day.

Great day if you pick your lines! There is more good terrain holding winter snow at Kicking Horse than Louise right now.

Great weekend....but seriously, pick your terrain carefully.

Coverage is good. They should have no problems making it to their scheduled end....2 weeks from now
1f641.png
:(

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Ok just got back from 9 days in Banff and have to say a couple weeks can make a world of difference. Temperatures cooled off and we had some great days at both Sunshine and Lake Louise. We even had a couple powder days. Coverage at Sunshine was amazing with all but 4 runs open. Lake Louise was a little limited as some of their best terrain was no longer open that said what was open had good coverage and was super fun to ski. The extra 6 inches of POW the on Friday made for a blast. All this combined with several blue bird sunny days with cold temps made for a great spring break ski trip for the entire family.
Banff 2.jpg Banff1.jpg Banff 3.jpg Banff5.jpg Banff 4.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online