• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

C & O Canal Towpath Bike Trip Report

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I took about a 30 mile bike ride on the C & O Canal Towpath (crushed stone) on Saturday, Aug 25. I'm a little late posting this, but what the heck. It was a beautiful day and I hope my photos show some of the interesting stuff about this bike ride. I stayed pretty close to home and rode a section of the towpath from about mile markers 14-30 and back again. For reference, mile marker zero of the towpath begins 15 miles to the East in the Georgetown section of downtown Wash DC.
This photo shows the crushed stone surface of the towpath to left and a view of a secondary channel of the Potomac River near Great Falls. I ride a slow hybrid bike on this trail and go about 10-12 MPH. It can be busy with walkers, joggers and other bikers, and as you will see lots of other nearby activities as suburbia is not far away.
canal and great falls.jpg

This is the C & O Canal Visitor Center at Great Falls on the Maryland/North side of the Potomac River. That is a canal lock in foreground, the towpath/bike trail is in the foreground out of sight. They offer free bike rentals at the visitor center.
canal great falls visitor center.jpg

Near the visitor center is a very pretty and wide section of the canal. Towpath to left, paddleboarders to right.
canal and paddle boarders.jpg

Some nice wildlife hangout in the canal and along the towpath. This is a Blue Heron. They have a beautiful sky-blue underbelly if you see them take flight.
canal blue heron.jpg

On this day there was some sort of kayaking competition taking place. Someone told me they had to move to this small channel because the main part of the Potomac was too rough/dangerous. We've had a wet summer and the river has been flowing high for months.
canal and kayakers.jpg

This is the Seneca Creek Aquaduct and those folks are clogging up my towpath route that goes over the bridge.
canal scenica creek bridge.jpg

This is a wide part of the Potomac River near mile marker 25 of the towpath (full length of towpath is 184 miles). That is a police boat heading out for action.
canal police boat .jpg

I thought the building in the background of above photo was an interesting estate of some sort, so I took a second close-up photo. I found out after using google back home that this is the Clubhouse for the Trump National Golf Club on the Virginia side of the river near Sterling, VA. This course hosted the 2017 Senior PGA Championship won by Bernhard Langer.
canal trump national golf club.jpg

This is a report from another bike ride I took on the towpath in 2016:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/c-o-canal-bike-trail-ride-8-10-16.2478/

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I rode the Delaware section a few times in the bast. A nice relaxed day of riding.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
On this day there was some sort of kayaking competition taking place. Someone told me they had to move to this small channel because the main part of the Potomac was too rough/dangerous. We've had a wet summer and the river has been flowing high for months./

Oh you were at the Great Falls Race? http://potomacfestival.org/ I usually volunteer at the takeout - some of the participants get so beat they're shaking and can barely pull themselves out of the boat.

Yeh, the weather has been absolutely nasty for the C&O - the Brunswick to Harpers Ferry section is in a year long state of (dangerous) detour.

Last night's deluge didn't help either - I was supposed to be riding Cumberland to Big Pool today but all the singletrack is peanut butter.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I was employed by a regulatory agency of the Federal government, my job would require me to travel to and stay in Arlington, VA three to four times per year for one to three weeks at a time. I would often go for long runs on the Curtis (or Curtice?) Trail, as it was only a mile or so away from my lodging. I would most commonly head west (I believe) on the trail until it intersected with the Washington and Old Dominion Trail, then either retrace my steps or run further before turning around. On less frequent occasions, I would run east (I believe) on the trail to the Key Bridge, then cross it into Georgetown and find my way to the C&O Canal Towpath, traveling along it for a ways before doubling back to the start. I believe I saw either signage indicating or was told by a local that this specific stretch of the C&O Canal Towpath was the very beginning of it or very near the beginning. I'm curious, does the towpath begin near the Key Bridge in Georgetown? As someone who has undertaken several multi-month and multi-week self-supported independent bike tours in numerous countries, as well as domestic trips, this ride from Pittsburgh to D.C. intrigues me. Thanks!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Custis - as in Martha Custis, George Washington's wife.

The towpath begins 8 blocks east of Key Bridge, where Rock Creek swerves to enter the Potomac. If you look for the Embassy of Sweden on the map, mile marker 0 is on that triangle of land between the Embassy and Thompson Boat House.

Between mile marker 0 and Key bridge there are some classic scenic brick sections of towpath - it's almost a city lane there, and it goes from one side of the canal to the other ( there are several foot bridges, one of them is even reasonably rideable with dirt ramps up and down). There is even a shopping mall that fronts onto the canal (most enter from the M street side tho.)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Between mile marker 0 and Key bridge there are some classic scenic brick sections of towpath - it's almost a city lane there, and it goes from one side of the canal to the other ( there are several foot bridges, one of them is even reasonably rideable with dirt ramps up and down). There is even a shopping mall that fronts onto the canal (most enter from the M street side tho.)
Hey I've been there... Grace St Coffee Roasters...

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This is the normal takeout creek for one of the downriver races; can't even get down there now the river is high and wild.
IMG_20180701_144606.jpg

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I was employed by a regulatory agency of the Federal government, my job would require me to travel to and stay in Arlington, VA three to four times per year for one to three weeks at a time. I would often go for long runs on the Curtis (or Curtice?) Trail, as it was only a mile or so away from my lodging. I would most commonly head west (I believe) on the trail until it intersected with the Washington and Old Dominion Trail, then either retrace my steps or run further before turning around. On less frequent occasions, I would run east (I believe) on the trail to the Key Bridge, then cross it into Georgetown and find my way to the C&O Canal Towpath, traveling along it for a ways before doubling back to the start. I believe I saw either signage indicating or was told by a local that this specific stretch of the C&O Canal Towpath was the very beginning of it or very near the beginning. I'm curious, does the towpath begin near the Key Bridge in Georgetown? As someone who has undertaken several multi-month and multi-week self-supported independent bike tours in numerous countries, as well as domestic trips, this ride from Pittsburgh to D.C. intrigues me. Thanks!

Custis Trail

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I lived in the DC region for several years... I never really explored the C&O. One of those “never got around to it” things. Always wish I had ridden the whole thing. One of these days I’ll have to get back down there! Thanks for the trip report!

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Brings back memories of when I lived in Silver Spring for a brief time out of high school. Me and my buddies would often head down to Great Falls for the day or hike the C&O or to the Virginia side to the Powtomack Canal if we didn't venture out to the then countryside and a park near Gaithersburg, I often ride a "rail" trail (previously a railroad bed) near me and also have done parts of the Great Allegheny Passage at Ohiopyle and the Big Savage Tunnel as well as may other rail trails in the state. I haven't done the entire Pittsburgh to DC trek. That is on our "to do" retirement list. I had a buddy who has done the entirety but he also ran marathons so he did the distance in 3 days. I always wanted to do a more leisurely week long ride. If I do it, it will be in Fall or Spring and it will be the Pittsburgh to DC direction as the long uphill ride from Cumberland to the Big Savage Tunnel does not appeal to the wimp in me. I would take a train back to Pittsburgh. Amtrak provides limited space for bicycles on the route.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I had a buddy who has done the entirety but he also ran marathons so he did the distance in 3 days.

That's ...burly. Cumberland to DC is doable as a day-long ride (@Rudi Riet posted some TRs from that) but that's really reserved for long midsummer days.

I always wanted to do a more leisurely week long ride. If I do it, it will be in Fall or Spring

:thumb: just be aware of the damage the rains do - and the earlier closure of some of the access ways for support/water supply. It's not just the Park Service, there are private gun clubs and things that don't like after-dark traffic.

and it will be the Pittsburgh to DC direction as the long uphill ride from Cumberland to the Big Savage Tunnel does not appeal to the wimp in me. I would take a train back to Pittsburgh. Amtrak provides limited space for bicycles on the route.

We were just up there in the hills yesterday - went from 91F to 72F in 3miles :eek:

BTW have you done any of the abandoned roads out of Breezewood?

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
BTW have you done any of the abandoned roads out of Breezewood?

No, the furthest east I've been is the Lower Trail (pronounced like flower) east of Hollidaysburg on the Juniata. Although it is also a rail trail, it also follows the old PA Main Line Canal 1824 to 1857. Along the route there are still old locks and sections that still containing water. These are no restored section on this section of the canal like the C&O except maybe a lock keepers house so I find the remnants more interesting. In fact, I grew up in a canal town along the Main Line. Many local street names reflect the past history ie North Canal Street, Mile Lock Lane, Lock Street, Water Street etc. The PA Railroad bought the canal in the 1857 and the section that ran through my hometown was filled in and the Main Line of the PRR was built upon it. As a kid I recall walking through remnants of what I later realized had to be the old canal or at least the berm bank built to help prevent flooding from the adjacent Allegheny River. I also recall finding a wood beam lined culvert dug beneath the rail bed so a stream could pass under and later learned that such culverts were commonly built under the canal. There are still a few houses whose front faces the railroad tracks that are canal era houses. John Roebling was the engineer of the Western Division. He lived not far from where I now make my home. He invented wire rope to replace the hemp rope that was then in use on the canal's Allegheny Portage Railroad. I think he also built some bridges too.

Forgive my walk down memory lane. I now return you to the regularly schedule thread.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Everywhere, ofc. But first let's talk TO down to the Niagara VQAs.
Good call! :D So the Lakeshore trail runs from downtown TO to Hamilton. However, it's not all fun to ride on. The TO and part of the Mississauga trail are decent but you are sent onto roads time and again. If you want to make decent time might be better to just stick on Lakeshore after Mississauga. It's a pretty scenic low speed route out past Mississauga through Oakville and Burlington. Then you can pick up the Hamilton bit and take the rail trail down to Erie and along to the Niagara River. Down the river to the Falls and the area between there and Niagara on the Lake is nice trail. You can stop at the Brock Monument where I go with reverence every time I ride down there to celebrate the Canadians kicking the USA's ass at the Battle of Queenston Heights..thank you Laura Secord! :D Seriously though, Niagara on the Lake is pretty touristy and nice and you can use that as a base to travel to the wineries down there. Lots of tours doing just that on bicycles. You're basically looking at anything east of Hamilton to the border all along the escarpment. Some of the wineries have overnight accommodations as well. Choose wisely, some of them make plonk. And I'm pretty sure Wayner and Weirsie are never at theirs.. Let me know when you're going, maybe I can hitch a ride for a few hours.

Sponsor

Staff online