• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Buying skis + bindings online

Keys2Ski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’ve demoed the 2020 black crow camox Birdie at Alta and had a blast with them. I believe they are “the one” for me. Here’s the problem...I live in Florida and my “local” ski shop peter Glenn doesn’t carry them. So, who should I purchase them through, and trust my local shop to install bindings? Or wait until my next trip west and hope for the best to purchase and mount while on a limited vacation?

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have had excellent customer service from Powder 7 in Boulder, CO and highly recommend them. And they will mount the bindings if you give them the boot sole length, though you will have to have the bindings set and tested either locally or at your next ski destination. Ski Essentials, a Pugski sponsor, is also highly thought of around here.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like Powder7.com at Golden, CO. I live in NM and purchased all my skis from them in the last 2 years (a total of 6 pairs). Great customer service!

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Can your local shop order them for you? It may be too late in the season but it might be worth asking. If I was going to travel I would call around ahead of time, make sure they have them and arrange to have them mounted while you wait.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also great luck with Powder 7, off and on, over the years.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Powder7 doesn’t carry them :/

AFAIK, the Camox Birdie didn't change except for a different topsheet since last year. Ask a rep on Black Crows website to confirm that. Then order last years model to save some $$$.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
AFAIK, the Camox Birdie didn't change except for a different topsheet since last year. Ask a rep on Black Crows website to confirm that. Then order last years model to save some $$$.

They changed, but it was really subtle. Similar to the Atris update, they softened it a bit and extended the turn radius. Sizes also updated, as it comes in a 162 or 168 now.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I’ve demoed the 2020 black crow camox Birdie at Alta and had a blast with them. I believe they are “the one” for me. Here’s the problem...I live in Florida and my “local” ski shop peter Glenn doesn’t carry them. So, who should I purchase them through, and trust my local shop to install bindings? Or wait until my next trip west and hope for the best to purchase and mount while on a limited vacation?

If you buy online, you will still need to take the skis + a boot to a shop to get the bindings adjusted properly. Also make sure they check all gaps between the boots and the bindings. I bought skis online from Ski Essentials. They did a fine job mounting the bindings. But they cannot actually set the bindings properly without your boot.

I trusted a Sun and Ski Sports location local to me, but not in ski country, to set the bindings correctly and they failed. The release was fine, but they did not adjust the platform height under the toe of the boot. I suggest you have the binding final setting done in ski country, not in Florida. You can buy skis online with the bindings installed.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
Seldomski, I would love to know which Sun and Ski that was? they did my daughters years ago and the din release was so far off she is lucky that she didn't blow out a knee. one ski was set at 2 and the other at 9

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@SkiEssentials is your best bet. They will hook up a good price and mount bindings no problem. I've bought a few pairs of skis from them and price and service were hard to beat.

TS
Keys2Ski

Keys2Ski

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you buy online, you will still need to take the skis + a boot to a shop to get the bindings adjusted properly. Also make sure they check all gaps between the boots and the bindings. I bought skis online from Ski Essentials. They did a fine job mounting the bindings. But they cannot actually set the bindings properly without your boot.

I trusted a Sun and Ski Sports location local to me, but not in ski country, to set the bindings correctly and they failed. The release was fine, but they did not adjust the platform height under the toe of the boot. I suggest you have the binding final setting done in ski country, not in Florida. You can buy skis online with the bindings installed.
As far as I know sun and sport is no longer located in Florida. Peter Glenn is the only option, and I’ve been dealing with them for years and I no longer trust their tuning department. I’ve had several experiences with them that just wasn’t right, but not enough wrong to be in danger.

Sponsor

Staff online