Buying my first skis..

Discussion in 'Hardgoods: Skis, Bindings, Poles, and More' started by Brian Witty, Jan 28, 2019.

1. pykie87

pykie87 Booting up Skier

2.5 hours?!

That’s a dream over here. The closest ski fields to Melbourne are around 5 hours and the NSW ski fields are a 5.5-6 hour drive from Sydney.

Lots of people do weekend trips regularly.

Brian Witty likes this.
  2. Thread Starter
    TS
    Brian Witty

Brian Witty At the base lodge Skier

Unfortunately I am back on the market, the bindings system (track bindings) do not allow for a foot as large as mine...

3. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Most adult system bindings go out to 380mm...which is about a 33.5..the 30.5 that you are in should be well with in range.

4. Thread Starter
    TS
    Brian Witty

Brian Witty At the base lodge Skier

The Fischer rs9 bindings stopped at 347mm my boot was 358. I skied the volkl deacon 74 this past weekend in a 168.. they were freakin awesome.. I also skied the RTMs, didn’t like them much, it felt like if I really dug into them my tails were skidding when I didn’t want them to. I felt like the deacons were not even as close to as forgiving as the RTMs, but I’m the type that likes equipment that rewards me for doing well, and gives me negative feedback when I’m not... I felt like the deacons did that.. when I was lazy, I got punished, when I was focused and aggressive, they did exactly what I asked them to do. I’m not an experienced skier and probably not a good skier, but this is how I felt about them... I’m guessing the Fischer’s not fitting may have been a blessing in disguise...

Edited trying to decide if it was the deacon 74 or 76... I’m thinking it was the 74.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019