• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
So here in Japan I was talking to my regional HEAD representative. And he said that outside of sponsored athletes, Japan will not be importing race skis from overseas. HEAD will import other models for general skiers, but RD models will not be imported. So I was then asked...

"After demo days are finished, do you want to buy the new/used set of SL and GS skis at 50% off?"

That got me thinking, outside of the usual demo day scratches on topsheets and the occasional nick on the edges and base, it seems like a hell of a bargain. Anything related to running surface and edges can probably be fixed at a shop. Sure it might look a little battle worn, an they might be a little bit softer from extended use, but...

Would you buy demo day skis?

(I also figure coronavirus and lack of snow around the world may limit demo days and preserve the skis more)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sure, I would buy one,
but the question is still the final price. 50% off of what? Often the MSRP of skis are inflated anyway and end of season skis are already at 30%-40% "off".

So need to just consider what is the current market price of the same ski new, as well as current market price of an equivilant used demo.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Make sure they have the real bindings on them and not the demo bimdings.

TS
Snuckerpooks

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd be getting just the boards and plate, no binding since I already have my own race bindings new from last year.

Considering that here in Japan, a new set of skis will cost around $1400~$1800 USD depending on the maker and country of origin, and those are directly from the maker. No store involved for overhead. Knocking off 50%, selling my old race skis ('18 and '19, keep bindings), I'd essentially be getting 2 sets of 'upgrade' skis for around $600 all said and done.
Which made me wonder if anyone here had experience. Were they happy with their purchase? Did it cause more headaches to repair damage than the price drop?

James

Out There
Instructor
I think it comes down to how much edge is left. They don’t start with a lot.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A others have indicated, it depends on price and also how extensive the "demo" has been. For example have they been a "demo" pair for an athlete for a season or have they seen only very limited gate time and primarily just free-skiing. Also don't know about your situation in Japan but selling used race skis without bindings here is tough sledding and they will only make fire-sale prices given that it can cost the buyer another $2-300 for the correct race binding. A head RD 16 binding here for example is hard to find for <$300 so the ski only would need to be real cheap without the binding to make it worthwhile (Of course ScotsSkier usually keeps a decent stash of race bindings ogsmile)

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here in Canada (assume the US is similar), there are plenty of used FIS race ski setups that can be picked up for less than the cost of bindings (the boards are effectively binding holders).
While MSRP is one thing, most of the FIS race stuff in the market comes from comped or sponsered athletes which pay very little to nothing for their gear....and subsequently sold for the same. Even if not the heavily discounted sponser cost, even basic "racer" pricing is a fraction of MSRP....then discount that a pile for used skis.

For context, know a bunch of dads that couldn't give away the FIS Women's SL skis without binding (1-2 seasons of use, ended up as part of a chair). Similar story for the men's 195 GS.....

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So long as you are objective and dont bias your demo experience to justify the discount.

Sponsor