• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Buying boots online. Yes or no?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I literally bought a pair of boots online, but it was a very calculated decision. I needed a particular flex that wasn't in the shop or manufacturer, and it was essentially the end of the season. After being fitted for the higher flex boot, my bootfitter gave me the blessing to hunt online for the lower flex boot - the only difference was the flex. I've had the boots since the end of the 2015/16 season, and definitely need new liners. Love the boots, though.
You need new liners? How many days do you have on the original liners?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've done it...more than once....

And more than once I ended up spending the same amount I would have paying full price (i.e. shipping fees for returning the boots, or ending up with 2-3 pairs of unreturnable, discounted boots in my hands before finding a boot that fits correctly.)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You will need to do a basic fit check and be fully willing to return them if they do not seem right. They will be tight otherwise return them. Quickly break in inside your home and go directly to the fitter. Again if the fitter says they are no good pay the fitter for their time and return the boots. Otherwise pay the fitter $50 to mod them and you are good to go. For this to be worth it you need to save at least $200 off the shop price.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
$50? To fix and fit someone's unguided internet boot purchase? No. Generally it costs more, and most usually ends up starting over in a new boot... we need to be clear that if one is asking "is it ok to buy an internet boot?" that they really need NOT to.

(Yes, we have directed customers to online sources for a boot THEY need that we don't have in stock when other boots we might stock are performance compromises, and the 'right' boot isn't available for us to order.... this is 'guided' internet boot purchasing.)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
$50? To fix and fit someone's unguided internet boot purchase? No. Generally it costs more, and most usually ends up starting over in a new boot... we need to be clear that if one is asking "is it ok to buy an internet boot?" that they really need NOT to.

(Yes, we have directed customers to online sources for a boot THEY need that we don't have in stock when other boots we might stock are performance compromises, and the 'right' boot isn't available for us to order.... this is 'guided' internet boot purchasing.)

I am not arguing with you but genuinely interested. Are $80+ boot mods typically included in the price of a boot purchase at a shop? Keeping liners out of it, just a fitting to get the average 30 to 50 day skier on the snow.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
We do all mods with the exception of sole canting/analysis gratis as an expected service for customers buying in store.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most skier doesn't realize the best part of buying from a good fitter is the "free" access to the experience and knowledge of the fitter. That is the "priceless" part.

For 30 to 50 day skier, one needs a pretty decent boot. Many decent boots out in the market are heat moldable. Not exactly a DIY project. The heat molding makes a tremendous difference from the comfort perspective.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
In 2012 I bought my current boots online, Lange RS110 SC, that have had the best fit of any boots I've ever owned over 4 decades. But won't recommend others do so as it is a gamble more likely to be a miss than even skis. Note I also never tried on that model at any ski shop. Instead, I carefully read reviews and have owned a few other Langes over the years so am familiar with the nature of their boots. When the boot arrived I just put my ancient cork footbeds in and was good. Lucky me.

Most boots I've bought in the past from shops required tweaking the fit after some use and I've tended to do so as a cheapo on my own after buying shimming foam materials. At least 2 decades ago recall buying some boots in a shop that at least after reading magazine reviews of that era and receiving modest help from the shop that they were what I needed. But within weeks decided the buy was a major mistake. Thus there is no sure thing either way though one is a much more likely to be successful with help from a fitter.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At least 2 decades ago recall buying some boots in a shop that at least after reading magazine reviews of that era and receiving modest help from the shop that they were what I needed. But within weeks decided the buy was a major mistake. Thus there is no sure thing either way though one is a much more likely to be successful with help from a fitter.

If you received modest help during the buy. You didn't buy the boot from a boot fitter. You bought a boot from a seller of boots. .

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not arguing with you but genuinely interested. Are $80+ boot mods typically included in the price of a boot purchase at a shop? Keeping liners out of it, just a fitting to get the average 30 to 50 day skier on the snow.

I won't say all but most/many shops include shell and liner modifications with the purchase at time of purchase and usually a year or two of follow up. What is included is usually labor, materials ie pads and such are included usually at the time of sale but not in follow ups.

We do all mods with the exception of sole canting/analysis gratis as an expected service for customers buying in store.
Alignment assessment is no charge, to do the work is additional.

Another important point, most (better) shops will not do any modifications if a footbed is NOT part of the fit process.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used to buy my boots online. My rationalization was that I don't have a good ski shop or fitter within 400 miles of me and don't typically travel to ski and thus don't get to visit a legit ski shop.

I have learned my lesson regarding boots now.

Four boots (four years) ago I had a pair of Lange 110SX.. or XT.. something. They would be 10ish years old at this point. Perfect boot for my feet and I skied them till I broke the boot shell. I bought the same Lange boot.. but 7 years newer, it was not the same and fit like a boat. Then got a good deal on a pair of K2 Spyne 130s.. but never could get the left foot to fit right. Then I got a pair of Salomon SLab MTN touring boots in a spring clearance sale and had them fit a couple months later in the summer during a trip for a wedding.. Those boots became my main boot the following season because they fit and I sadly didn't get to ski half my skis that year because of binding incompatibilities. At this point in my life I realized that I really did need some more help with boot fitting but I didn't have any upcoming reason to drive 400 miles to get some boots. So I did the next best thing I could and went and tried on the lower level models of boots I had available locally, there was nothing above a 110 flex in town. Ended up finding the Dalbello AX120, it fit great but was too wide.. so with that in mind I bought a pair of the Lupo HD Pro's online and skied them out of the box for a month before I got the opportunity to go the Powderhound in Girdwood for a proper heat molding and another set of insoles. Boots fit fantastic now and for the most part I've learned my lesson about buying boots online.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hell.... wait for it... NO. Boot fitter

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I think, if you are considering boots on line, you are a person who skis, not really interested in performance all that much. To me, comfort is most important, even though I want performance too. If your feet hurt, it's not a lot of fun. When your feet hurt, you want to get out of the boots. When your feet hurt, you have wasted money on a lift tic, probably air fare and lodging, not just a pair of boots. Boots bought from a fitter are much more likely to fit than boots bought sight unseen. And you will ski better too. Lastly, give yourself some time to wear the boots at home prior to your trip, so you can find any hot spots that may show up.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the current model of bootfitting included with boot sales and unspecified in cost makes it harder for the customer to decide to commit to that, and to see the value they are getting.

I am a bike fitter. I work at a bike shop. I charge $200 for the bikefit. Doesn’t matter where the bike came from. Bought from us*, bought somewhere else, dug out of the back of Grandma’s garage.
I can also do the fit before they buy a bike, then tell them what size of bike to buy, and whether a certain model they are considering will work for them.
This way the value proposition is clear: They are paying for my time and expertise, and the price or origin of the bike does not have anything to do with that.
If it is an existing bike, just like @markojp says, sometimes I can not make it very good for them.
But, the customer feels ok with that, and I am ok with that, because it was clear from the get go. They are not left wondering. They know we made it the best it could be, and they know what they need if they want to replace it.
Also, if they feel that I did not solve their issues, I have a money back guarantee** .

With the current bootfitter business model, it is hard for a customer to feel fully confident that they got their expected value out of the transaction, mostly because they don’t know what value they are getting.

*If it is a new bike bought from us, we will more likely give them a new stem or such for free, where otherwise the customer would pay for such parts.
** only used once in 12 years

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Well said Slim. I see no reason not to buy a pair of boots online and pay to have someone heat mold them, cuff align them, put in or take out heel lifts, and if necessary do canting work. If they are a skilled craftsperson they will gladly take the work and do it well, whether they sold you the boot or not.

That said if you buy the boot from them you'll get at the least a break, and if they throw in a ton of work for free then they're probably overcharging for the boot, so you're still paying for it.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....With the current bootfitter business model, it is hard for a customer to feel fully confident that they got their expected value out of the transaction, mostly because they don’t know what value they are getting.....
I like your model of bike fitting service.
But given the fact that skiers of all levels of experience buy boots, and they go to boot sellers and boot fitters who also are working at all levels of experience, is there any way to fix that part in red above?

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Well said Slim. I see no reason not to buy a pair of boots online and pay to have someone heat mold them, cuff align them, put in or take out heel lifts, and if necessary do canting work. If they are a skilled craftsperson they will gladly take the work and do it well, whether they sold you the boot or not.

That said if you buy the boot from them you'll get at the least a break, and if they throw in a ton of work for free then they're probably overcharging for the boot, so you're still paying for it.
That’s if the boot purchased online is even the correct size.

I continuously see boots at least one to two sizes too big purchased online at my shop.

there is no way I can make those work, don't even try

I just tell em the cold hard truth,

boot too big can you return it

there may be one in stock that fits your anatomy correctly

Sponsor

Staff online