• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Buying boots online. Yes or no?

clewis

Booting up
Skier
What are your thoughts on buying boots online? Not covid related,(as there is a thread on that already) just in general.

If this has been discussed in other threads feel free to direct me there.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Not a good idea. End of conversation.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I've done it with success, but it was the same boot but in a low volume edition rather than the medium volume. I was pretty sure I was getting what I needed. I think my next boot journey will start from scratch with a boot fitter, mostly because as I get older my feet are behaving differently.

Reactions: BMC

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You asked and the peaunut gallery has spoken and the consensus is that it is not the bestest of ideas because, well, boots and all of their dimensions, attributes and caracteristics are subjective. I have said elsewhere, "You don't pick the boot, the boot picks you" and since boots have yet to be able to access the internet and pick the feet that will work for them, you need to meet them half way and have a bootfitter, a qualified bootfitter play matchmaker.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The reason you can't buy boots on line is that you need a bootfitter to work out the hot spots, and he'll charge you for every minute he spends on them, and in the end he'll tell you that you bought the wrong shoes. You really need to buy boots from someone who will take responsibity for making them work.

dm

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, there is always that one guy......

If you don't need custom fitting....
If you don't have any place you can drive too...
If you already have had the same boot....
If you are happy with a bad fitting boot....
If you have enough experience to do fitting your self.....

Since you are in the Alberta Rockies, you probably do have access. You can get good deals on walking into store. Check last years models.

Local to me is running 50% off on ALL alpine equipment from last year.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Well, there is always that one guy......

If you don't need custom fitting....
If you don't have any place you can drive too...
If you already have had the same boot....
If you are happy with a bad fitting boot....
If you have enough experience to do fitting your self.....

Since you are in the Alberta Rockies, you probably do have access. You can get good deals on walking into store. Check last years models.

Local to me is running 50% off on ALL alpine equipment from last year.
All true. The only problem is that if you have a common size, most boots are gone and will not be restocked until October (new collection, obviously, and more or less full price). You can be lucky, of course... It may be worth a try.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All true. The only problem is that if you have a common size, most boots are gone and will not be restocked until October (new collection, obviously, and more or less full price). You can be lucky, of course... It may be worth a try.
This is my truth. I have a common size ad can find boots that fit with no need for adjustments, however their are never any left when things go on sale so I have always paid full price for boots.

Maybe that's why I keep a pair for so many years. lol.

Fit is everything. Do not buy online.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Buying boots online is very difficult because there is no standard and consistentancy in the numbers. EXAMPLE: Just because you are a size 9 shoe, you will see many charts saying that you should be in a 27.0 (2+7=9), first for the most part, no boot manufacturer makes a 27.0, they simplified SKU's and offer just a 27.5 which really is the same as a 27.0 in shell size, it was just a slight liner insert that was the difference between the two sizes. Thats just the start, most people with that size 9 will actually be professionally fit in a 26.5 shell and some that are looking for a more performance fit, might even drop to a 25.5 shell. Shell length is just the start, you will then see numbers like 97, 98, 100, 102 and 104 being thrown around, these are published widths. Not only is there not a standard here, how it is measured is also a big variable. What is overlooked is this is the easiest area to make accommodations to the shell and fit, but that is a topic for it's own discussion. Next is how does the heel/ankle area fit the foot, are the boot and the foot matched in shape and volume? No way to know this when looking online. Now flex, another area that there is no standard not only between brands but also models within brands. Lastly, footbed and a proper ski sock, something that most people who consider buying online do not consider. When the average person who skis (note, I did not say "skier") buys a boot online, opens the boot box, grabs their favorite (thick) hiking sock and puts their foot into the boot, immediately thinks "too small". Well, strike ONE: Wrong sock. Strike TWO: No footbed, Strike THREE: The foot is not competely in the boot, the boot needs to get the boot buckled and the heel INTO the heel pocket. All of this before even considering if the boot is even remotely close to being the right boot.

@clewis This is not just for you, but it is a question that is asked by more than a few thousand people every season and it needs to get addressed constantly.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
What are your thoughts on buying boots online? Not covid related,(as there is a thread on that already) just in general.

If this has been discussed in other threads feel free to direct me there.

Its ok as long as you know what you want and fits you best. (if you have lots of experience)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I literally bought a pair of boots online, but it was a very calculated decision. I needed a particular flex that wasn't in the shop or manufacturer, and it was essentially the end of the season. After being fitted for the higher flex boot, my bootfitter gave me the blessing to hunt online for the lower flex boot - the only difference was the flex. I've had the boots since the end of the 2015/16 season, and definitely need new liners. Love the boots, though.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I literally bought a pair of boots online, but it was a very calculated decision. I needed a particular flex that wasn't in the shop or manufacturer, and it was essentially the end of the season. After being fitted for the higher flex boot, my bootfitter gave me the blessing to hunt online for the lower flex boot - the only difference was the flex. I've had the boots since the end of the 2015/16 season, and definitely need new liners. Love the boots, though.

That can work when working with a fitter... (and much respect for those who don't just schlep and sell only the boots they have on hand if they aren't right. )

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January