• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ccfc_aaron

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi Guys, new here (admin please feel free to move if in the wrong place).

I'm currently looking at replacing my skis, and I'm looking for some advice from people who've skied any of the Dynastar Legend 96, Zag H-95 or Fischer Ranger 102FR. Budgets not an issue on these 3, and I've skied a 2012 Legend for 7 seasons now, but I've killed one of the bindings and they're a little short for how aggressive I ski now. Looking for general feeling as to what people would go for between these 3 (or if there is any stand out choices I've missed).

Bit of background, I'm 185cm (just shy of 6'1 in old money), ~95kg (200lbs) and looking at an all mountain ski. I try and escape the UK roughly 3 times a year, usually to the French alps or Pyrenees. I'm a pretty aggressive on-piste skier, who (conditions permitting in Europe) loves to spend some time in a deep powder field (usually lift accessed, sometimes I might take a walk). Looking for a ski that has good 50/50 performance, but primarily for Europe it has to like a piste.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I demoed the Legend 96 last season on a lark and loved it! I was at the Rossi tent to demo Experience 94, which I put right behind it, but didn't expect what I found. I'm 6'6", 225 lb, and tend to buy the 180-189 lengths, but avoid over 190 due to my skills and east coast US conditions. I haven't skied the Ranger 102 FR, but you can see in my avatar an older 115 XTi that has the FR twin-tip shape, which only comes out when we get a lot of fresh snow. I love this ski and would consider a narrower Ranger or the Legend 96 if I skied out west. Perhaps a 94 FR? Blister loved it as much as the 102 FR.

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm about your same size and I've been skiing the Dynastar Pro Rider Factory 192 and the previous gens for some time now...incredible off piste and on it rails like a GS ski. Its a heavy, super stable expert ski, however, if you want something less intense I've been seeing good writeups on Dynastars new M-Pro line...think they come in a variety of widths 90, 99 and higher.

If you can...demo before buying. I made that mistake once and bought the ski that everyone on the forums/ski magazines raved about...I thought it was total garbage and replaced it after 2 seasons.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Guys, new here (admin please feel free to move if in the wrong place).

I'm currently looking at replacing my skis, and I'm looking for some advice from people who've skied any of the Dynastar Legend 96, Zag H-95 or Fischer Ranger 102FR. Budgets not an issue on these 3, and I've skied a 2012 Legend for 7 seasons now, but I've killed one of the bindings and they're a little short for how aggressive I ski now. Looking for general feeling as to what people would go for between these 3 (or if there is any stand out choices I've missed).

Bit of background, I'm 185cm (just shy of 6'1 in old money), ~95kg (200lbs) and looking at an all mountain ski. I try and escape the UK roughly 3 times a year, usually to the French alps or Pyrenees. I'm a pretty aggressive on-piste skier, who (conditions permitting in Europe) loves to spend some time in a deep powder field (usually lift accessed, sometimes I might take a walk). Looking for a ski that has good 50/50 performance, but primarily for Europe it has to like a piste.
Welcome! Of those three skis I've only been on the Legend. It's fun but I thought it to be a bit twitchy on groomers. The short radius, around 15 or 16 meters depending on length, give it a very playful IN snow or while turning ON snow but the rocker gives you a pretty short wheel base to just cruise. I'm guessing you're in the market for a 95-105 based on those three. Not knowing what availability is in the UK, the Elan Ripsticks have been getting really good reviews. I really like the Liberty Evolv 100. Super stable, longer turn radius, outstanding edge hold for a wider ski, a good all-around choice. I'm a bit shorter and, ahem, a bit heavier than you so wimpy skis need not apply!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only one of these I've tried is next year's Fischer Ranger 102 Free. It has a great carving feel, feels very light weight, and does well on edge in some powder, off piste. A great dynamic. To me, it has a problem, however: it lacks dampness, and one has to keep it on edge, carving, to counteract that, especially in uneven and crud. It sure tracks well, though. Very much dialed in for what it does, but not my kind of ski.

The only legend I spent time on was the X 106, which is an unusual ski, very turny and yet stable as a carver, but with a heavier feel than its actual weight. (Due to slightly railed factory tuning?) I almost bought the X 106 - it was so different. This ski carves well on piste, and in crud, but is relatively too heavy feeling for that - or too wide, except there are skis that wide and heavier that carve groomers just fine, not feeling awkward or heavy. Other folks I know bought it but moved on quickly; I ended up glad I'd held off.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't even think about these....
Don't look here...
Or the AM98. I don't see that on their site...yet.;) But at 88 underfoot, those are absolutely fantastic skis. If I could only have one, this would be in the top 2. I'm not even sure what the other one would be. Maybe the Renoun Z-90.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@ccfc_aaron , if I were looking for a ski to use mostly on-piste, but with acceptable off-piste chops, I would not be looking at a 95 - 102mm model. "Buy for what you actually ski, not for what you wish you skied." What about something in the.85 - 90 range? Liberty Evolv 90? (Maybe too hard to find in Europe.) You're a pretty big guy - Fischer GT 86? Stormrider 88?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@ccfc_aaron , if I were looking for a ski to use mostly on-piste, but with acceptable off-piste chops, I would not be looking at a 95 - 102mm model. "Buy for what you actually ski, not for what you wish you skied." What about something in the.85 - 90 range? Liberty Evolv 90? (Maybe too hard to find in Europe.) You're a pretty big guy - Fischer GT 86? Stormrider 88?
Elan Wingman 86CTI?

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Or the AM98. I don't see that on their site...yet.;) But at 88 underfoot, those are absolutely fantastic skis. If I could only have one, this would be in the top 2. I'm not even sure what the other one would be. Maybe the Renoun Z-90.

I just don't see the need for a 90+ mm ski if the goal is mostly on piste.
I'm betting the 98's will turn out to be exceptional for ripping a big mountain but I have my old FX94's for that niche.
I have some AM77's coming (175 at 9 flex) for my on piste duties now that I have retired my first gen Kastle RXs.
I will use these when I'm playing with bigger dogs and the 15m radius of my White Outs is just too turny.
For real turny, it is Fisher WC SC's and for letting it rip I like my 18m Heros.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The only one of these I've tried is next year's Fischer Ranger 102 Free. It has a great carving feel, feels very light weight, and does well on edge in some powder, off piste. A great dynamic. To me, it has a problem, however: it lacks dampness, and one has to keep it on edge, carving, to counteract that, especially in uneven and crud. It sure tracks well, though. Very much dialed in for what it does, but not my kind of ski.

The only legend I spent time on was the X 106, which is an unusual ski, very turny and yet stable as a carver, but with a heavier feel than its actual weight. (Due to slightly railed factory tuning?) I almost bought the X 106 - it was so different. This ski carves well on piste, and in crud, but is relatively too heavy feeling for that - or too wide, except there are skis that wide and heavier that carve groomers just fine, not feeling awkward or heavy. Other folks I know bought it but moved on quickly; I ended up glad I'd held off.
Did you try a similar Ranger Ti like the 92, 98 or 99 from different years?

DTSugarbushVT

Booting up
Skier
Did you try a similar Ranger Ti like the 92, 98 or 99 from different years?

I have skied the 102, and I own the 99ti. The 99 is a great on piste ski. It is also very capable off piste. I would high recommend that you check that out. Although, I agree with the previous post regarding the Fischer GT 86. One of the best skis that I've been on in a long time.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have skied the 102, and I own the 99ti. The 99 is a great on piste ski. It is also very capable off piste. I would high recommend that you check that out. Although, I agree with the previous post regarding the Fischer GT 86. One of the best skis that I've been on in a long time.
I agree about the Fischer GT 86. I own the 182 rather than the 175. Both are good but the 175 is probably more versatile. It's still not the greatest off piste or in crud, like the Fischer 102 Free, but frontside it's distinctive and good. The 182 is more of a frontside GS turning charger (rather than an SG or straigtht-lining charger). It makes GS turns so powerfully and easily at more moderate speeds as well as faster that it is a GS cheater that will do some crud. The 175 is more turny, more easily.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
@ccfc_aaron I am also UK-based, and can connect you directly with the Augment UK distributor, if you would like.