• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you were skiing up the uphill side and down the downhill side, it might come close to netting out. But, when I ski moguls, I use the uphill side and avoid the downhill side of the bump completely.

Also, the uphill side provides a place for absorption, which is the main method of speed control (for me anyway).

Whether all that is relevant to this thread or not.... you be the judge.

Don't know what butter is?!! My God, I hope I misinterpreted that.

Are these your children or your charges during ski school??! Either way, learning how to ski bumps is wonderful. But not knowing what butter is... that's an educational deficiency far greater than not possessing expert mogul technique.
Yeah, these are our children. We are raising olive oil and coconut oil fed bump skiers. ogsmile

That's all we have in the house until grandma shows up from out of town and goes immediately to the store and buys butter for their stay. It's amazing what you can get used to, like mac and cheese made with olive oil. When I first said "spread butter on the backside of the bump" my kid had no idea what I was talking about. Peanut butter did the trick.

IMG_20190325_093109.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
I guess maybe it's a western thing. How often are eastern bumps spreadable? You're talking burnt toast scraping usually.

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier

Your tiny children are doubtlessly better bump skiers than I am, but my God man, at what cost?!

Grandma is a saint.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Could go ayurvedic and start using ghee. My uncle was and is way into that stuff; my cousin followed in his footsteps and is now teaching ancient something or other in miscellaneous asian countries. But you should see some of the women he brings home for Christmas, although the last one was a man!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
And now for some skiing from the program's founder...

If you haven't ever checked out Mark Johnson's channel on YouTube, he has a lot of old skiing videos (many homemade) that are absolute classics.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hope you advised those kids overhead to pull down the safety bar.
It's Colorado. If they fall off they knew the risk. Well, their parents knew.

Now, what if they fall off, hit someone on the slope, and kill them? Surely that's almost as bad as going out a closed gate and causing an avalanche?
Could go ayurvedic and start using ghee.
Ghee is essentially butter just clarified beyond usual clarifying, no?
Let them eat Ghee!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
...Ghee is essentially butter just clarified beyond usual clarifying, no?
Let them eat Ghee!

Ghee is saltless butter boiled until all the air is gone. You're done making ghee when there is no more air bubbling out.
Don't use salted butter because the heated salt turns the ghee dark and messes up the flavor.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ghee is saltless butter boiled until all the air is gone. You're done making ghee when there is no more air bubbling out.
Don't use salted butter because the heated salt turns the ghee dark and messes up the flavor.
Technically, you're boiling off all of the water... so those are water vapor bubbles, not air.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@dbostedo, it's been a long time since I made ghee. Boiling off water makes sense. I remember boiling unsalted butter and just getting ghee easy. I forgot about the foam that you need to remove that rises to the top, and the solid stuff that collects at the bottom of the pan. The process was easy, but the stove was hot, there was no airconditioning, the pot had to be watched it so the ghee wouldn't get overdone, and the whole thing took a while to do. I also made cheese (as in curds and whey - use the whey for cooking rice), compressed the loose curds overnight, cut it into cubes, and fried it in the ghee. How's that for thread drift? Super Yum!!!!!

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And now for some skiing from the program's founder...

If you haven't ever checked out Mark Johnson's channel on YouTube, he has a lot of old skiing videos (many homemade) that are absolute classics.

Amazing. On long straight skis with a narrow stance, and no one told them they need to use short poles in the moguls :D

Sponsor

Staff online