• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bump ski tune

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
I know that as a rule of thumb the tune for slalom skis would be 0.5* / 3* and GS skis are normally 1* / 3*. I have a friend that recently purchased a pair of new Boss (Hart) bump skis with a severe hanging burr. While I can fix the burr with no issue, I figured I would give him a proper tune but I am not sure what to set the edges at for a bump ski. Looking for some direction here...

Karl

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have several Dynastar Twisters and a Volkl Rebellion, both models are factory set at 1/2 (base/side). Elan Bloodlines are still at factory settings at 1/1 but I may play around with the side angle when this becomes my every day ski. I have a Hart bump ski still in wrappers, the factory settings claims .5/1.5-2.

As for my preferences, the 1 deg base lets the skis drift or slip into the face of the bump when the formation is random. The edges are set to a "normal" angle (1-2) so that it can still bite and lock into hard snow. The latter is also dependent on how one skis the bumps, if its more slip based then go for the 1 deg side if its more carve-centric go for for 2 deg side.

BTW, I do tune my own skis and like to keep the side bevels all the way up to the tip to the ski, the rationale is I want that tip to bite both in the flats and in the bumps.

Last edited:

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Added correction.

" As for my preferences, the 1 deg base lets the skis drift or slip into the face of the bump when the formation is random. The side edges are set to a "normal" angle (1-2) so that it can still bite and lock into hard snow. The latter is also dependent on how one skis the bumps, if its more slip based then go for the 1 deg side if its more carve-centric go for for 2 deg side."

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like really quick edge changes in the bumps. So I like a 0 degree base bevel and 3 degree edges. This gets a quick, hard but short lived edge touch between the bumps. It is pretty dynamic to initiate turns in bumps (the snow surface angles are never level) so base bevel doesn't help things as much there. Speed is more a factor of your line than the ski so the extra drag from a 0 degree base is irrelevant.

Most skis are .5 degree of base bevel and 2 degrees side. A lot of people like that and it works quite well. .5 degrees base and 2 degrees edge is a safe default.

Eric

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
I thought the default was 1/2? I have a 1/3 on my every day skis. Would a lower base edge angle, at say .75 be noticeable and easier to initiate a turn? I'm strictly talking about carving, not necessarily in the bumps.

Bill

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^ Lowering the base bevel will make the ski react faster in terms of initiating the turn. The down side is the edges may accidentally catch on snow when trying to slip.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
I don't think I've done anything with my 2011 Twisters since a shop tune in 2013 other than frequent crude stone and file edge sharpening by sight without ever waxing. The skis certainly don't hold well on firm pack, much less ice, but then am not interested in skiing such conditions but rather packed powder groomed and bumps. During this recent extended cold dry icy often windy weather period (also pass holiday black out) I stayed away. As long as I continue to ski smoothly in snow and conditions I prefer, am wondering if I am missing something?

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
The bump skiers getting tunes in the shop generally want 1/1.

You're in CO, in the NE, East & upper Midwest, the snow gets harder so the 2 deg side would be a better choice. I thought about going 3 deg on the sides but it more due to laziness in not doing the upkeep on a higher deg.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
As long as I continue to ski smoothly in snow and conditions I prefer, am wondering if I am missing something?

I tune my skis for the hard snow. When the troughs gets firm or icy, I'll take a higher line but I still need the edges sharp so that I can control my turns. Also it takes a lot of abuse from rocks and expose dirt (from the troughs). My base can accumulate so many dents and nicks that it can get out of control fast so I tune on a regular cycle. Right now, the average life span of my mogul skis about 2.5 - 3 seasons.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You're in CO, in the NE, East & upper Midwest, the snow gets harder so the 2 deg side would be a better choice. I thought about going 3 deg on the sides but it more due to laziness in not doing the upkeep on a higher deg.

Duly noted. ogsmile

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"Boogie with Stu" is one of my favorite bump skiing tunes.

TS
Karl B

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
We're in SE Michigan. He got 1/2 and is happy.

Karl

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bump skiers actually get their skis tuned????

That was the big benefit to the race parents whose children moved into freestyle....no more tuning!

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bump skiers actually get their skis tuned????

That was the big benefit to the race parents whose children moved into freestyle....no more tuning!

Once they go up the ranks with improve technique they will need to tune. Speed and the turn points require it. Below at 1:33 is Perrine Laffont (18 Freestyle Gold winner) getting her her new pairs prep'ed.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
My comment was in jest.
Of course they tune (even the slope style group does as fast bases mean bigger air).....but not quite a crazy about it as the alpine group from my experience; where th alpine group is fanatical about it.

I haven’t yet seen a pro bump skier with 10 pairs of skis at the lift; swapping out every 2 runs.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I like 1 degree base on my bump skis. 0.5 base on everything else (sl gs and antique SG).
My designated bump skis came with 2 side, and I'm happy enough to leave them at 2.
The 1 degree base is easier to feather and make short radius non-carved turns on.

Sponsor

Staff online