• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I decided on the 6 button and the 9 slot pole holder. Now I'm on the hunt for another pair of skis since I have a spare button to hang em on.
I like the ski pole organizer so may need to get one :)

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
^^No. The Wild Joy is very similar in width dimension to the shorter Kore 93s, which is why the Wild Joy is discontinued next season (this might help you get a better price). One of the main differences between the Wild Joy and Kore 93 is that the Kore 93 has a rockered tip and tail, the Wild Joy is tip rockered only.

Also, the Total Joy is best suited for solid intermediate to advanced skier while the Wild Joy and Kore 93 are best suited for an advanced skier.

@dovski you will find that skis are cheaper in Canada than the US and Alberta has no sales tax, just a federal tax.

I work at Elevation Ski and Bike at Sun Peaks Resort and we sell Head and Salomon. Everything is on sale including some demos so let me know if you want some comparison pricing. If you are driving from Seattle to Banff then you will likely be traveling thru Kamloops on your way home and then Sun Peaks is 45 minutes out of your way from Kamloops.
@DanoT I know your store well as have been to Sun Peaks many times. Unfortunately we are flying to Calgary and driving from there to Banff this trip so will not be going through Kamloops.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
@dovski, here are some current prices that may help you negotiate a price in Banff (or the village of Lake Louise where there is a very good ski shop in the strip mall, I don't know the name).

All prices in Canadian dollars (currently worth less than 75 cents USD.

Head Wild Joy: reg $679, now $499. 158cm, 162cm available.
Head Kore 93: reg $699, now $529. 162cm.
Salomon QST: reg $550, now $399. 161cm
Nordica Navigator 90: reg $600, now $449. 165cm
Elan Ripstick 86W: reg $600, now $449, 152cm, 166cm

Bindings:
Salomon Warden MNC 13 reg $299, now $219
Look Pivot AW12 reg $299, now $235
Tyrolia Attack2 13 now $169

Hope this helps

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
@dovski, here are some current prices that may help you negotiate a price in Banff (or the village of Lake Louise where there is a very good ski shop in the strip mall, I don't know the name).

All prices in Canadian dollars (currently worth less than 75 cents USD.

Head Wild Joy: reg $679, now $499. 158cm, 162cm available.
Head Kore 93: reg $699, now $529. 162cm.
Salomon QST: reg $550, now $399. 161cm
Nordica Navigator 90: reg $600, now $449. 165cm
Elan Ripstick 86W: reg $600, now $449, 152cm, 166cm

Bindings:
Salomon Warden MNC 13 reg $299, now $219
Look Pivot AW12 reg $299, now $235
Tyrolia Attack2 13 now $169

Hope this helps
Thanks Dan much appreciated

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
We bought a 6pr wood Button Rack to keep the skis organized at the condo. It works great and is low profile.

This works perfectly and the best part is there is an lonely vacant button for another set of skis. I'll see what I can do to cure that issue.

ski rack.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^No. The Wild Joy is very similar in width dimension to the shorter Kore 93s, which is why the Wild Joy is discontinued next season (this might help you get a better price). One of the main differences between the Wild Joy and Kore 93 is that the Kore 93 has a rockered tip and tail, the Wild Joy is tip rockered only.

Also, the Total Joy is best suited for solid intermediate to advanced skier while the Wild Joy and Kore 93 are best suited for an advanced skier.

@dovski you will find that skis are cheaper in Canada than the US and Alberta has no sales tax, just a federal tax.

I work at Elevation Ski and Bike at Sun Peaks Resort and we sell Head and Salomon. Everything is on sale including some demos so let me know if you want some comparison pricing. If you are driving from Seattle to Banff then you will likely be traveling thru Kamloops on your way home and then Sun Peaks is 45 minutes out of your way from Kamloops.
Wonder if my friend from Seattle, who recently demoed and purchased some Kore 93s, got them from you? I recommended she try them, and she loved them!

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Ok so quick update on our demos in Banff. My wife decided she just wanted to ski her total joys the entire trip and did not demo a single ski, but had a great time. My 11 year old daughter decided to step up and demoed 5 different skis over two days at Lake Louise - Blizzard Black Pearl 88, Blizzard Rustler 9, Head Wild Joy Nordica Santa Ana 93 and Nordica Santa Ana 100. The winner was the Nordica Santa Ana 100. We bought what must have been the worlds cleanest demo I have ever seen for $350 Canadian About $250 US.
ski 1.jpg

As you can see from the picture the top sheets are pristine
ski 2.jpg

the binding do not even have a scratch on them.

Best of all when you by demos at Lake Louise end of season not only do they give you a great price they also give you a complete tune on their new Montana
ski 3.jpg

I own both the Enforcer 93 and 110 and my factory tune did not have nearly as a nice a structure or finish as this skis. Tune shop at Lake Louise is world class, was thoroughly impressed by their attention to detail and love the perfectly centered chevron structure. But more importantly my daughter loves her skis. Building my wife's quiver will likely become next years project :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Congrats....such a deal. The do look clean. The Squire TCX is also a better binding option for a lighter skier.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Congrats....such a deal. The do look clean. The Squire TCX is also a better binding option for a lighter skier.
Yes we got super lucky with these as some of their demos were quite rough. They told me this pair rented less than 20 times but from the looks of it I would peg it at even less than that.

I will say that demoing skis with an 11 year old is very much like Goldilocks and the Three Bears … These skis are to long, these skis are to short, to stiff, to soft, to heavy ….. luckily this pair were just right and they had a pretty top sheet to boot which as it turns out is an important criteria for an 11 year old :) They also have the demo bindings which is also important for an 11 year old whose feet seem to grow a size or two every sum ;-)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
$350CDN is a very good price for that ski, but at 169cm, I am assuming that your 11y.o. daughter is tall for her age.:huh:

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
$350CDN is a very good price for that ski, but at 169cm, I am assuming that your 11y.o. daughter is tall for her age.:huh:
She is 5’2” and growing fast. These skis have a ton of early rise and tail rocker so they ski short. I will be lucky to get a year, maybe 2 out of them. She is also very advanced for her age and needs a high performance ski as opposed to a kids ski. Her other skis are a head iRace multi event ski at 160 and a Brahma SP at 152 which is now way to short.

At $350 CDN you just cannot go wrong. My buddy picked up a pair of Rustler 9 skis with about 10 days on them for $250 CDN so he did even better than me

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At $350 CDN you just cannot go wrong

Used demos at Sun Peaks' Elevation Ski & Bike are mostly $400- $425, so you scored.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Used demos at Sun Peaks' Elevation Ski & Bike are mostly $400- $425, so you scored.
Totally scored especially considering the condition of the ski - demos can be pretty rough, and the skill of the tune shop, they did a spectacular job on the bases :)

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Ok wanted to give an update. As those of you who have been following this thread already know getting my wife to demo skis this past season was an effort in futility. She just wanted to ski and my kids ended up with the new skis … ok I also picked up a pair too. That said her Head Total Joys (original model from the launch year) are getting a little long in the tooth and it is time for change. So have come up with a new evil plan …. :)

I just ordered a pair of Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 women's skis with Attack 11 bindings from our good friends at Ski Essentials. My wife does not know about this. When the skis arrive my kids and I are going to pretend that the skis are for me but that I made mistake ordering and cannot return them since we had the bindings mounted. The only solution will be for my wife to take them. My 12 year old is writing a script for us and wants to rehearse the scene so that our performance is flawless. If for some reason my wife does not like these skis both my daughters offered to take them but I think this is a very unlikely scenario :)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Ok wanted to give an update. As those of you who have been following this thread already know getting my wife to demo skis this past season was an effort in futility. She just wanted to ski and my kids ended up with the new skis … ok I also picked up a pair too. That said her Head Total Joys (original model from the launch year) are getting a little long in the tooth and it is time for change. So have come up with a new evil plan …. :)

I just ordered a pair of Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 women's skis with Attack 11 bindings from our good friends at Ski Essentials. My wife does not know about this. When the skis arrive my kids and I are going to pretend that the skis are for me but that I made mistake ordering and cannot return them since we had the bindings mounted. The only solution will be for my wife to take them. My 12 year old is writing a script for us and wants to rehearse the scene so that our performance is flawless. If for some reason my wife does not like these skis both my daughters offered to take them but I think this is a very unlikely scenario :)

I love it. Can't wait to hear how it goes. These are great skis, I love mine.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

That there is good parenting!
:yeah:

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
?
That there is good parenting!
:yeah:

I like to think I am helping my kids develop strong creative story telling skills along with an appreciation for hand made Swiss skis :daffy:

So far the script reads like this:
Kids: Daddy what is in the box
Me: my new pair of SR95 skis I am so excited
My wife's most likely reaction: Another pair of skis … really!!
Me: Hon these skis are special they are handmade in Switzerland over the course of 12 days and are amazing …. blah blah blah
Kids: those skis are so cool can we get stocklis too
Me: maybe when you are older, have a job and can pay for them yourselves
My wife's most likely reaction: eye role while saying "don't you have enough skis"
Me: You can never have to many skis or ski days
then we unbox the skis which my kids plan to film on their cell phones
Me: oh no I ordered the wrong skis by mistake this is terrible whatever will I do
My wife's most likely reaction: what's wrong with these skis
Me: I meant to order the SR95 but clicked the wrong button and got the SR85 by mistake also these skis are too short and they are women's ski
My wife's most likely reaction: can't you return them?
Me: no the bindings have already been mounted so the sale is final
Kids: Does that mean we can have them
Me: no your feet are too small and your feet are too big, but lets see if I can adjust the bindings to fit mom's ski boots …. what do you know they are a perfect fit .. here you go hon these are now your skis
My wife's most likely reaction: So you just happened to order the wrong skis that are exactly my size with perfectly mounted to fit my boots what an amazing coincidence
Kids: yes it is just like a fairytale
My wife's most likely reaction: eye role
All of us: enjoy your new skis mommy

At some point when the kids are not around we will have the how much did these cost conversation and do I really need them …. etc. but it should be a nice surprise.

Sponsor

Staff online