• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So my wife asked me the other day if I thought she should get another pair of skis … like she needed to ask I think everyone should get another pair of skis. We are heading to Banff in a weeks time for a 9 day ski vacation and I plan to have her demo a bunch of different skis so we can dial in the right one for her and take advantage of the end of season sales. With this in mind I am looking for some recommendations as to what I should have her demo. Here is a little background about my wife.
  1. Her current ski is a head total joy which she loves. So looking compliment this ski not replace it
  2. My wife has been actively skiing for about 6 years and was becoming an advanced skier until 2 years ago when she tore her ACL while skiing. She has been skiing for two seasons since the accident but is much more cautious, so would now call her a strong intermediate skier who continues to regain confidence and improve
  3. We ski a lot in the PNW and British Columbia with the occasional trip somewhere special like Banff
Skiing is our family activity and we typically ski at least 30+ days together as a family each year. The kids are all in freeride and racing programs and even my 8 year old is now skiing double blacks and charging down the hill. My wife loves skiing with the family but has not yet regained the confidence to tackle the more challenging terrain. That said she is committed to getting there and is on the cusp of breaking through. With this in mind looking for a ski that she will enjoy as much as the head she currently skis but that will also give her confidence to take that next step. Was thinking that a Nordica Santa Anna might make sense but wanted to get some suggestions as to 3-4 skis she should demo. Again looking to compliment not replace the Total Joy and thinking we should probably go wider as opposed to narrower. Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Head is adding a Kore W next year but since you are looking for leftovers for this year, you might be able to find the current Kore in a short enough length for her to try. K2's Fulluvit is another easy 95mm ski to try, and will be readily available on the sale racks. Blizzard's Sheeva 9 and 10 should also be on your short list.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Head is adding a Kore W next year but since you are looking for leftovers for this year, you might be able to find the current Kore in a short enough length for her to try. K2's Fulluvit is another easy 95mm ski to try, and will be readily available on the sale racks. Blizzard's Sheeva 9 and 10 should also be on your short list.
Cool I can get her a demo/try buy for the Kore 93 as well as Salomon QST 92 and 99 from the same shop. No one seems to be renting/demoing the K2 or the Blizzard :(

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cool I can get her a demo/try buy for the Kore 93 as well as Salomon QST 92 and 99 from the same shop. No one seems to be renting/demoing the K2 or the Blizzard :(
If you are looking to buy leftover skis, make sure she demo's this years Salomon's..next year, although they are the same name, ski much different. This years is lighter and more playful.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Are you going to the Crystal Demo days this weekend?
I wanted to take her, but we got a Puppy and my wife is playing mamma bear. So I will likely be there carving up the hill on my new Stockli's while she stays home with the puppy.
puppy.jpg

At want point she didn't want to go to Banff because of the puppy but the breeder saved the day and agreed to watch the puppy for us while we were gone.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
If you are looking to buy leftover skis, make sure she demo's this years Salomon's..next year, although they are the same name, ski much different. This years is lighter and more playful.
So you are saying that the current model is better than the new model is that correct?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So you are saying that the current model is better than the new model is that correct?
I am saying it is different and if you are looking for a leftover ski to save $$ make sure you demo the correct model.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Totally makes sense. The shop I am talking to has a try and buy program so everything we are skiing on will also be for sale.
Current options are Head Kore 93 Salomon QS 92 and 99
Found another store with the Fulluvit and Sheeva 9 but they do not have them to demo, just for sale.

Really want to get my wife to try a couple skis and find one that she is comfortable with as I think the right ski will help boost her confidence and get her back to where she was before she tore her ACL. Kids really want her to ski the advanced runs with them like she used to

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Blizzard Sheeva 10 or Atomic Backland 102. Friends have fangirled both as skis that are super versatile in terms of conditions, as well as the fact that they turn quickly and make it easy to control speed on dicey terrain while still holding a charge when they’re feeling confident. Santa Ana’s a little beefier than the Sheevas and also a super fun ski.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Cool thanks for the input everyone. looks like I can also arrange try and buy demons for both Head Wild Joy and Santa Ana while we are at Lake Louise - they are actually selling off their demo fleet so if we like the skis they will give us a full tune and a sweet deal. It also sounds like both skis did not rent out much this year and are in great shape :)

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK. You didn't ask this, so please forgive me if I'm overstepping.

Maybe consider a private lesson
(without you and the kiddos)
instead of or in addition to new skis to help get the too cautious out and the joy back into skiing.

My husband and I have both had major issues (his two back surgeries; mine acl/mcl/tibial plateau) and each of us had difficulty getting back in the groove. His was a few years before mine and I saw how it worked for him, so I did it too.

I know for myself, I felt so sad because skiing didn't seem fun anymore, but more like a chore, skiing so cautiously and not with fear so much as the need for control to the point that it lost he sense of freedom, flow and grace I loved about it. Plus, we all know that defensive skiing is harder and actually leads to less control.

Both of us took a private lesson with terrific instructors to get back into skiing and it made a huge difference, both in the skiing and the psychology. There is something liberating about relinquishing your decision-making about where and how fast to go to a trusted expert. It was a real breakthrough for me as well as for him.

Wishing you good luck.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Totally makes sense. The shop I am talking to has a try and buy program so everything we are skiing on will also be for sale.
Current options are Head Kore 93 Salomon QS 92 and 99
Found another store with the Fulluvit and Sheeva 9 but they do not have them to demo, just for sale.

My description of these skis:
The Kore 93 will be fairly strong a slightly damp but not too damp, and will turn well. It will give her a feel that she is familiar with the Total Joy
The QST is a good ski and will power through the crud, but extremely damp.
The Fulluvit is nice because it turns fairly nicely and has a playful tip that will let her play in powder if you get some freshies.
The Sheeva 9 will be more like the KORE 93, but with a little more pop.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
OK. You didn't ask this, so please forgive me if I'm overstepping.

Maybe consider a private lesson
(without you and the kiddos)
instead of or in addition to new skis to help get the too cautious out and the joy back into skiing.

My husband and I have both had major issues (his two back surgeries; mine acl/mcl/tibial plateau) and each of us had difficulty getting back in the groove. His was a few years before mine and I saw how it worked for him, so I did it too.

I know for myself, I felt so sad because skiing didn't seem fun anymore, but more like a chore, skiing so cautiously and not with fear so much as the need for control to the point that it lost he sense of freedom, flow and grace I loved about it. Plus, we all know that defensive skiing is harder and actually leads to less control.

Both of us took a private lesson with terrific instructors to get back into skiing and it made a huge difference, both in the skiing and the psychology. There is something liberating about relinquishing your decision-making about where and how fast to go to a trusted expert. It was a real breakthrough for me as well as for him.

Wishing you good luck.
Actually have already had several private lessons with instructors we know who have the right temperament she also did a ski clinic that was great and she is going to do some lessons at Sunshine. Huge improvement already so hoping this combined with new skis helps get her there. Also working with the kids on not pushing beyond her comfort zone which my 8 year old does with the best of intentions

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
My description of these skis:
The Kore 93 will be fairly strong a slightly damp but not too damp, and will turn well. It will give her a feel that she is familiar with the Total Joy
The QST is a good ski and will power through the crud, but extremely damp.
The Fulluvit is nice because it turns fairly nicely and has a playful tip that will let her play in powder if you get some freshies.
The Sheeva 9 will be more like the KORE 93, but with a little more pop.
Than Tricia this is super helpful. Plan now is to demo as much as we can while in Banff and within my wife’s comfort zone which I think will be 3 skis.