• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear building New England touring set up and need to decide on skis

Dan P

Booting up
Skier
I am planning on doing several NH/VT backcountry trips this upcoming winter (assuming we get snow). I am sure I will do some resort uphill / side country as well. I will use my downhill set ups for most resort days, so I don't need the one kit fits all set up. For the touring kit I bought Dalbello Lupo AX120s and Atomic Shifts with 100mm brakes. I have to decide on skis.

My easy option is a pair of Head Kore 99s in 180cm that I already own but don't use very often. While they aren't heavy per say, they are approx 2 lbs heavier than the other skis I am considering. I have read that 2 lbs on ones' feet can actually make quite a difference. Question is, will it be enough of a difference NOT to use my KOREs in favor of something lighter?

I am looking at Kastle TX90s and Black Crows Camox Freebirds. Those seem to be the consensus picks for a very light underfoot and still capable downhill rides. I don't need to be able to rip on the decent like my SR88s do, tho I do want something competent and most importantly they need to be maneuverable for tight spots and tree skiing. I am also unsure of length to go with. At 6'1" and 240 lbs my downhill skis are 186 and 189 cm. To be able to navigate New England trails I am thinking something around mid 170s in length?

Truth be told, I kind of have the hots for the TX90s in 176cm. However...as much as I love a pair of brandy new skis to go with my brandy new boots and bindings, are the KORE 99s the way to go for a $600 to $800 savings? It seems a little ridiculous NOT to use my KOREs.....but I think I can be talked into something lighter.

Any suggestions from experienced New England folk will surely be appreciated!

Last edited:

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I put an AT setup together last season with Lupo 120's, Black Crows Camox Freebirds and Marker Kingpins. I didn't do a lot of backcountry tours, but skied at areas in Maine after the shutdown. The Black Crows are a versatile ski. They handled anything from powder to firm snow. I got lucky and picked them up for $300 at Sierra Trading Post.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My everyday ski is a Head Kore 93, so with my built in bias I was going to suggest a Kore 99 as soon as I read the thread title.

@Dan P, since you already own the Kore 99s, I say mount 'em up and see how much you like them, all the while keeping an eye out for something else (lighter, better?) on sale.

As to the 170cm length for tree skiing, at your size I say no. To me, the risk of being too heavy and over powering a 170 is greater than the maneuverability gained vs a 180+, not to mention rocker or the greater stability of a 180cm at speed.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would say, save the $700 buy using the Kore you already have, assuming the ski suits the desires you have for agilty in the trees .
Use that money to do an beginner avalanche course (US: AIARE 1 or Can:AST 1), and associated costs. There are some cool but based options for those courses as well. That’s a fun way to get both a 3 day weekend out in the mountains and some good learning.

Then get out and have fun.
A slightly heavier set-up will still be fun. If you don’t like it with Kore+Shift, you probably won’t like it with a lightweight set-up either.
I have toured on my Marksman+frame binding, a far heavier set-up than the Kore+Shift.
It harder work. More tiring. You don’t go as far or do as many laps. But the experience is still roughly the same.

@Brock Tice made a switch to lighter gear, and discoed it here: https://www.pugski.com/threads/contemplating-at-setups.18262/

If you find you like it, you can always buy a better touring ski later on. And you won’t have shark take a bite out of your brand new skis.
If you do like it, you will figure out what you like, and you might want to end with a different type of ski anyway, and quite likely a lighter binding than a Shift.

In fact, since you haven’t mounted them yet, can we talk you in to returning the Shift bindings?
You can save way more than 200g/foot by changing to different bindings, and have a much easier time at transitions.
The great thing about the Shift is that it is an alpine binding on the way down. So, perfect for 50/50 use, or people in a freeride movie.
But you mention you don’t need the former, and for most of us, the latter is not an option due to skill and risk in the backcountry.

• Shift: 885g
  • Fritschi Vipec (if you want the safety of lateral release at the toe): 595g
  • Hagan Core 12/ ATK Raider 12 (full feature binding with brakes, independent lateral and vertical release adjust): 375g
So you can save 300-500 grams per foot with bindings. The easier transitions also makes the whole experience smoother and more pleasant.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My NE touring set up is a 93 waisted G3 ski, 179cm length. I would not go much longer. I was looking for the same things you are: light and maneuverable. You can get into some pretty tight spots. I think the 99Kore's would be ok...maybe just a touch wider than you need but not so fat as to really hamper your movement. I am 6' 200 lbs...was about 220 when I got the skis.

TS
Dan P

Dan P

Booting up
Skier
I would say, save the $700 buy using the Kore you already have, assuming the ski suits the desires you have for agilty in the trees .
Use that money to do an beginner avalanche course (US: AIARE 1 or Can:AST 1), and associated costs. There are some cool but based options for those courses as well. That’s a fun way to get both a 3 day weekend out in the mountains and some good learning.

Then get out and have fun.
A slightly heavier set-up will still be fun. If you don’t like it with Kore+Shift, you probably won’t like it with a lightweight set-up either.
I have toured on my Marksman+frame binding, a far heavier set-up than the Kore+Shift.
It harder work. More tiring. You don’t go as far or do as many laps. But the experience is still roughly the same.

@Brock Tice made a switch to lighter gear, and discoed it here: https://www.pugski.com/threads/contemplating-at-setups.18262/

If you find you like it, you can always buy a better touring ski later on. And you won’t have shark take a bite out of your brand new skis.
If you do like it, you will figure out what you like, and you might want to end with a different type of ski anyway, and quite likely a lighter binding than a Shift.

In fact, since you haven’t mounted them yet, can we talk you in to returning the Shift bindings?
You can save way more than 200g/foot by changing to different bindings, and have a much easier time at transitions.
The great thing about the Shift is that it is an alpine binding on the way down. So, perfect for 50/50 use, or people in a freeride movie.
But you mention you don’t need the former, and for most of us, the latter is not an option due to skill and risk in the backcountry.

• Shift: 885g
  • Fritschi Vipec (if you want the safety of lateral release at the toe): 595g
  • Hagan Core 12/ ATK Raider 12 (full feature binding with brakes, independent lateral and vertical release adjust): 375g
So you can save 300-500 grams per foot with bindings. The easier transitions also makes the whole experience smoother and more pleasant.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I got a smoking deal on the Shifts ($300 brand new with brakes), but hadn't heard of those other options (SMH in shameful ignorance). I will certainly look into them.

I am planning on taking an AVY safety course. I do still have to dish out another few hundred dollars for a beacon and probe (and I am sure several other tools and trinkets). That said.....

I agree with the advice and am gonna go with the KOREs. I do like them and feel confident with them in any condition - even on very hard snow and ice. Getting them on edge is no problem and they are great in tight areas. I very much LIKE the KORES....I just LOVE my Stormrider 88s for most NE resort days and my Wailer A106s for powder and trips out West. It will be good to do the KOREs justice by giving them purpose and keep them from getting jealous of the SR88s and Wailers :)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good call on going with the Kores. They are not super light, but will ski well for you. I also would recommend going with a 180 cm or 180+ length. Yes, things can get tight in NE, but you need enough ski under you or it won't be enjoyable.

FYI, I am 6'4", 240 lbs and I use a 185 cm blizzard zero G 108mm ski. I also have shift bindings and Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD boots. I love the setup for NE. Especially side country. boots (1400 g), skis (1730 g), bindings (900) = 4030 g

You have to consider the total weight of your setup. You are actually more on the heavy end of touring setups, so the Kores are a good match. I have thought about a very light weight set up, such as any minimal Tech binding (350 grams), Technica Zero G Pro boots (1300 g) and Salomon Mtn Explore 95cm (1500 g). = 3150 g (1 lb = 450 g) It would ski well in backcountry, loose a bit of capability in side country / resort.

Your setup Boots (1800 g), skis (1950 g), bindings (900 g). = 4650 g

The weights are at the reference sizes, 26.5, I have a 29.5 boot so it weighs more, I don't know how much exactly.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am planning on doing several NH/VT backcountry trips this upcoming winter (assuming we get snow). I am sure I will do some resort uphill / side country as well. I will use my downhill set ups for most resort days, so I don't need the one kit fits all set up. For the touring kit I bought Dalbello Lupo AX120s and Atomic Shifts with 100mm brakes. I have to decide on skis.

My easy option is a pair of Head Kore 99s in 180cm that I already own but don't use very often. While they aren't heavy per say, they are approx 2 lbs heavier than the other skis I am considering. I have read that 2 lbs on ones' feet can actually make quite a difference. Question is, will it be enough of a difference NOT to use my KOREs in favor of something lighter?

I am looking at Kastle TX90s and Black Crows Camox Freebirds. Those seem to be the consensus picks for a very light underfoot and still capable downhill rides. I don't need to be able to rip on the decent like my SR88s do, tho I do want something competent and most importantly they need to be maneuverable for tight spots and tree skiing. I am also unsure of length to go with. At 6'1" and 240 lbs my downhill skis are 186 and 189 cm. To be able to navigate New England trails I am thinking something around mid 170s in length?

Truth be told, I kind of have the hots for the TX90s in 176cm. However...as much as I love a pair of brandy new skis to go with my brandy new boots and bindings, are the KORE 99s the way to go for a $600 to $800 savings? It seems a little ridiculous NOT to use my KOREs.....but I think I can be talked into something lighter.

Any suggestions from experienced New England folk will surely be appreciated!

At your size and weight I would go with the Kore 99's. I dont know how they ski in variable conditions though. In the backcountry (specially in the East) you encounter a variety of crusts and snow conditions that when combined with tight trees requires a maneuverable ski that is not hard to turn. The Kore 99's are somewhat chargey and demand speed.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What tighter than tight double black woods do you plan on backcountry skiing? I am lighter and on 183 - if i am having trouble in very tight resort woods i doubt a shorter ski would help a lot. Seems a big dude would want 180.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wouldn’t worry about weight of the skis at your size and while starting out. 2lbs is over 2% of my body weight and not even 1% of yours.

Sponsor

Staff online