• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Buh-bye Surefoot, Hello . . . Mike?

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I concluded my Surefoot experiment this week and, it was a successful experiment in that I learned yet another expensive lesson. I'm getting really good at those as I age. Learning the hard way is effective . . . maybe someday I'll learn to learn the easy way. Nah, probably not ;)

Beginning of last season had a couple days on a pair of Surefoot Lange SX120s. Jury was still out at the time, and I was hopeful but had some doubts. I rationalized that decision, talked about that here:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/new-boots.7343/page-2#post-308441

By the tail end of the season I knew the Surefoots had been a mistake: https://www.pugski.com/threads/asking-for-a-friend-thread.14554/page-4#post-337919

The invaluable knowledge shared here about the process had me looking for the best bootfitter I could find to work with, and that's what I did. Mike, @MRT at Southern Ski has got me sorted out finally.

All along I suspected I had issues that were not my poor ski skills, but when you're not a lifelong expert, there are doubts. Just try harder, do more drills, get in better shape, must be the altitude, blah blah blah. Sometimes, it really IS the gear's fault. I never felt 'stacked' or comfortable over the skis, when I got in the stacked position I was too far forward and way out of balance, so to compensate, my knees pushed forward, made me squat. 14.5" calves at the top of the cuff, max at 16", were contributing heavily to the forward knee push. Constant fight to get out of the back seat, hard time turning the uphill ski, quad and lower back fatigue (thought that was just my fitness level, and I'm decently fit), edge control issues, heel pushing, skidding, you name it, I did it. Every run, every turn was a battle. I muscled, literally, through it all.

Somebody here said Surefoot pumps a size-too-large shell full of foam and calls it done. They did a little bit more for me but that's an accurate and succinct summary, and the result is result. I simply did not get a proper boot fit by an experienced boot fitter.

Out with the old, in with the new
20190920_112325.jpg
20190920_112335.jpg
20190920_150557.jpg

Sure enough, I was in a 27.5 Lange - too big! Mike sized me down to 26 shell - Atomic Hawk Ultra 120 S. He's got the Fischer vacuum machine and some original tools he's built to maintain proper position while the heat/vacuum mold takes. I don't remember exactly but I was something like 35-40mm too far pushed forward in the Langes. It was remarkable to feel the difference 1mm forward/back made on the balance point where heels are down, touching, but weight is just right on the balls of the feet - where you control and turn the skis. That was the first exercise we did on his forward lean rig. Eye opening.

We did the full work up, Mike even noticed my short left leg after looking at a pair of running shoes I had brought in with about 300 miles on them. Compensated for that in the left boot with a little bit more heel lift, though both boots have some heel lift to compensate for my lack of ankle, um, dorsiflexion? Is that the right word? Either way I don't have a lot of bend in my right ankle, a little better left but the heel lift additions help fix that, apparently. Now I've got to go get orthotics for my running shoes because being balanced with equal length legs felt so good in the boots, just standing there.

The experience was night and day and I thought "FINALLY, this is what everyone talks about!" I found my guy - Mike at Southern Ski in Irmo, SC (Columbia). If you are anywhere in the Carolinas/TN/GA area - don't go anywhere else. Mike's the only Best Bootfitters in America member I believe in our region and very much worth the drive.

Even got a plan for when we get on the slopes this season and Mike stands by the fit for life of the boot. If we need tweaks, I've got clear guidance on what to look for on the hill, some ducttape shim adjustments to make at the back of the cuff inside the boot after the 1st ski day - and it all makes a lot of sense.

The ducttape shim 'hack' to test forward lean for perfection:
20190920_112606.jpg
20190920_112614.jpg

Anyway - hopefully this is yet one more testimony to find the best possible boot fitter you can in your area, that is the most important thing you could do in shopping for ski boots. Don't learn the hard way like me - after season sale 1st pair of boots, molded and punched and cut and - not the right boot. Over spending on something that doesn't actually work - 2nd pair of boots (though I was trying to find the 'best' product, went about it wrong). Just skip straight to a well reputed boot fitter and listen to them. I wish I'd done that 1st.

Thank you @MRT

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Wow, if you fit well in the Hawx 120S one size down from a Lange SX120 then the Langes were WAY too big for your feet. Not only are the Hawx much slimmer and lower volume in any given size but the SX's are wide/high volume for the size.

Glad you got fitted properly!

:beercheer:

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Wow, if you fit well in the Hawx 120S one size down from a Lange SX120 then the Langes were WAY too big for your feet. Not only are the Hawx much slimmer and lower volume in any given size but the SX's are wide/high volume for the size.

Glad you got fitted properly!

:beercheer:

Yep! They packed out by end of season and I had heel lift, along with all the other issues. (Not) Good times. The Hawx we stretched out for a much, much . . . much better fit. I'm dying to get on some snow, even the infamous SouthEastern WRODs around these parts.

Luigi

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My relationship with Surefoot came to an abrupt stop two and a half years ago when they failed to honor their warranty. Instead, they gave me a high-pressure sales pitch at the Killington store. For a second I thought in a timeshare sales event except there was no weekend in Kawai'i... I walked out with no repairs, but totally Sure my next pair of ski boots will never - ever, be Surefoot.

I ended up with Dalbello Panterra 130s which although a bit stiffer than the old Lang shells, are one of the most accommodating boots I've owned.

Last edited:

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I concluded my Surefoot experiment this week and, it was a successful experiment in that I learned yet another expensive lesson. I'm getting really good at those as I age. Learning the hard way is effective . . . maybe someday I'll learn to learn the easy way. Nah, probably not ;)

Thank you @MRT

I traveled a similar road to get to my strong belief in bootfitters. The hard way is effective but at times are some of the best lessons. Don't know I would do it differently as the lesson might not have been as effective. I've never been one for "blind obedience", which made my career in the Marines, not to mention 30 years of marriage, quite challenging .

upload_2019-10-25_6-13-12.png

Life is good,
Ken

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Truth!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Decreed_It where are you after a year in the boots?

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
@Decreed_It where are you after a year in the boots?
Actually had 2 seasons - 1st was golden - 1st trip 2nd season took some re-learning how to properly put them on, plus I ended up ripping out the Hotronics - the cables just never did right and caused me pressure points/hot spots.

Once I put them on right though - all good - only got about a week last season because of all the you know what. Still super happy, good marriage :ogbiggrin:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually had 2 seasons - 1st was golden - 1st trip 2nd season took some re-learning how to properly put them on, plus I ended up ripping out the Hotronics - the cables just never did right and caused me pressure points/hot spots.

Once I put them on right though - all good - only got about a week last season because of all the you know what. Still super happy, good marriage :ogbiggrin:

The tiniest thing in a boot can make a difference in performance and comfort.

Interesting about the boot heaters. I find that if I take my liners out to dry them from time to time I need to make sure the wire is exactly where it needs to be when I put the liner back in the shell. If its out of place by a teeny tiny bit I feel it.

One day we were getting ready to ski, after booting up in the parking lot, and I had to take my boot off because I felt like there was a pebble in it. When I dumped it out, it was a grain of sand.

Yeah..that's me.
Edmund_Dulac_-_Princess_and_pea.jpg

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I hear you @Tricia in my case the wire was run up the top of the liner kind of to the side - not in the tongue area but up my instep - I crank the ankle buckle down TIGHT as I can get it and at some point the wire got crimped a little bit and - all over from there. Intolerable. Ripped them out that evening.

I will say since I got the Kulkea warming bag - majority of the issue solved. Will never go back to cold boots in the AM!