• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brought the right toys today

Joel

Having fun
Skier
First MTB ride of the season. I started off by doing my climbing ride ( up Towers Trail ( Rd. ) in Fort Collins if anyone is familiar, if your not, it's a pretty grueling climb ).

I could feel that I haven't ridden in a while, the weekend BC trips and less frequent goes at the stationary bike don't keep me in good enough shape for MTB season. I monitor things like HR, if I'm running out of air vs legs just giving up the ghost.... Today my legs were aching, HR hit 178, was only breathing moderately hard, things didn't really get tough till I got out of the parking lot.

Actually, I did feel pretty good, HR did hit 178 but not till the very last steep section of climb, and it was my legs that gave up the ghost, did not at all feel like I was running out of air. If things go as they usually do, HR will initially hit higher numbers ( I can sill get into the 190s ), but will then all come back down to the high 160s, low 170s as I get back into riding shape. As long as it never hits 0 I'm good with it. I tend to care more about the HR recovery to judge fitness.

Anyway, fun day out on the MTB

second picture is on the way down, I have never been able to get a picture that appropriately conveys how steep things are.

20180507_133858.jpg
20180507_143047.jpg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's not lots of fun but if you supplement the mtb with 15 minutes at close to max on the stationary a few times a week it will get you back in form quickly. Although once the weather gets nice I put the stationary away. Durning the Cetics half time yesterday I just did a 9 minute 2 mile road loop. I would have been faster but theres busy traffic with no shoulder in one section.

Last edited:
TS
Joel

Joel

Having fun
Skier
LOL, I tried to give it away years ago. wanted to donate it to a school that had an auto shop class, tried three schools, two high schools and a community college, no one wanted it. Did another restore on it instead, this time a resto-mod. Hard to believe I bought it in 1980 and still have it, paid $600.00 for it.

Kind of dated, does not have the latest engine build I just completed.

http://dabbles-n-doodads.com/mustang.htm

dude.... your car's worth more than your bike.... :roflmao:

TS
Joel

Joel

Having fun
Skier
Ya, I try. I used to put on Netflix and a show. I'm kind of a Trekkie nerd, so would pedal and watch an episode, I went through all the original, next gens, DS9s, and Voyagers. It will be a few years before I can make another pass. Amazing what other garbage I have found to watch to try and make the stationary bike tolerable.

Now I just figure a week or so of every other day rides, then back to 5-6 days a week.

It's not lots of fun but if you supplement the mtb with 15 minutes at close to max on the stationary a few times a week it will get you back in form quickly. Although once the weather gets nice I put the stationary away. Durning the Cetics half time yesterday I just did a 9 minute 2 mile road loop. I would have been faster but theres busy traffic with no shoulder in one section.

TS
Joel

Joel

Having fun
Skier
Another ride yesterday. Went as expected. Heart figured out it needs to get working again, peaked 182 this time, I still expect higher before it goes back down. Was slightly less worn out but I think that was because there was a slight breeze this time to help keep cool. I'm three minutes off my best time. Maybe in a week or two, then I will also head farther up. There are several turn out points where you can pick up single track back down. Still doing my first stop.

Picks of the access road that heads up. It really is a good climb.

20180510_143722.jpg
20180510_143735.jpg

Sponsor