• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Broken Skis..

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How common is this? I haven't seen a broken ski in ages, since the 80's anyway. This past week, I witnessed a guy break a ski in the bumps. A Volkl RTM something, green & white. I think I was as shocked as he was.
Anybody here broken a ski lately?

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
My sister broke one of my wife’s skis last season. Snapped it in half.

I broke a ski about 20 years ago skiing bumps.

We both ski hard, and are not small people (I’m about 200 lbs, my sister is probably 160-170).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@KevinF
fullsizeoutput_748.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_97b.jpeg

@Drahtguy Kevin did some damage at the Snowbasin demo to a pair of Heads.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
In the 70's my brother or I would break a ski each season. Delamination of the tip was the most common.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Holy Cow! How in the heck did that happen? Scraping a decent size rock at high speed? Glad there was no associated injury.

That picture will be on my tombstone.

It occurred during @Philpug 's then annual April Phool's Day Bumphest, held at Stowe that year. We were skiing down Goat trail and my skis came over a bump, down into the trough... and they didn't come back out. What goes down doesn't necessarily come back up and all that. I heard a pretty loud crack and I tumbled... I figured my leg was broken or something. took a minute to realize that my legs were fine and the ski was destroyed.

The full story... this emoji is from Phil's attempt at that very same bump run:
:philgoat:

Edit: that's @epic 's gloved hand pointing out the core of the broken ski. @mdf was there as well... I seem to remember him taking a good slide as well. Basically it was Goat 3, Epic Bears 1.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Broken 2. Atomic 207 bionics in bumps & a Rossi 170 SL in powder.
Rossib.jpg

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Interesting, I too witnessed someone break a ski in half in the moguls this weekend. A group of us were doing an informal clinic in the bumps. The instructor while skiing an impressive demo run went down. We heard a snap and thought it was his leg. He got up, held up the ski and said don’t do the same thing. Even more impressive was watching him ski out of the bumps and crud on one ski!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Guess I've been lucky a couple of times that I've stuffed my skis into bumps - only broken legs not broken skis ;)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've seen a lot more broken boots and broken bindings this century.. Skis, not so much anymore..

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Last week I found the shovel (not the tip) of my Stockli SR 88 was delaminating. Only 48 days so far with no bumps or air to speak of. My shop fixed them but who knows how long they'll last now!

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
That picture will be on my tombstone.

It occurred during @Philpug 's then annual April Phool's Day Bumphest, held at Stowe that year. We were skiing down Goat trail and my skis came over a bump, down into the trough... and they didn't come back out. What goes down doesn't necessarily come back up and all that. I heard a pretty loud crack and I tumbled... I figured my leg was broken or something. took a minute to realize that my legs were fine and the ski was destroyed.

The full story... this emoji is from Phil's attempt at that very same bump run:
:philgoat:

Edit: that's @epic 's gloved hand pointing out the core of the broken ski. @mdf was there as well... I seem to remember him taking a good slide as well. Basically it was Goat 3, Epic Bears 1.

I, too, remember that day very well, and, was 1 of the 3 Bears that Goat punished in the same run. I spent a good portion of that run sliding on my back. and, did carry the lifeless carcass of Kevin ski down to the Stowe Lodge. While I've returned a few times to Stowe, never even considered doing Goat again.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last year, on the first trip since I'd been cleared to ski on my replacement hip, I broke my ski in the bumps. I was a bit off balance and hit the trough wrong - hard. I heard something snap. I didn't fall but blew out of the line uncontrollably. Spent some time checking out my hip but it felt OK. Tried to ski but skied like crap - especially if I got a bit back. (Note that I ski like a teenager from the 60s - always in the back seat.) Really wondered what I'd done to my hip. Until I went to spray my wife and fell in an undignified heap at her feet. "Dad, your ski is broken!" Sure enough, the top skin and core was completely severed. The ski was held together by the bottom skin and Ptex. Amazing boost to the confidence in my new hip!

I'd love to say that's my only broken ski but just a couple years ago I did exactly the same thing to some Atomics we had gotten for my wife. She didn't like them but I did! Until I hit the bump wrong. Same top skin failure. Carefully finished the day on the ptex bases holding it together.

Broke another old Goode top skin in a similar fashion. But that failure started at the binding hole and the break exploded the binding out of the ski. One foot skied down from that one.

Last winter, one of the college kids did @slowrider 's delamination to his new skis. Good warranty service but he had to demo one of my skis for a day or two.

Like @crgildart , I consumed skis in the old days. I loved K2 Threes but always had to have a spare handy. The thrift stores were well stocked in orphan skis (it wasn't just me) so it was easy to find a spare. Got pretty good at skiing on one ski back then.

Maybe I need to get better at skiing the bumps smoothly...

I dissect lots of broken waterskis. If my skis don't break, I remove material until they do. Then spot reinforce the broken area. I'd guess that @KevinF needed carbon in the bottom skin instead of glass. @slowrider needed the core to be drier (if it was wood) or stronger (if it was foam) or a more adhesive resin to bond the core. My skis needed something better than carbon in compression to hold the top sheets together under load. Note, I cured the same problem in my waterskis by replacing the carbon with boron.

Skis are often quite overbuilt. This is really good for longevity and resistance to breakage but has some significant performance tradeoffs. As the skiing population ages and more women demand performance skis, excess weight is becoming less acceptable. As weights come down, we will probably see small amount of more breakage. A reasonable tradeoff for improved performance.

Eric

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
When I first saw the Rossi Soul 7 with the see through tip I thought, how long before we see a broken tip Soul? It didn't take long, but to Rossi's credit I haven't seen one since and I work at a shop that sells and rents Soul7s.

I have seen a Blizzard Cochise with the top sheet almost completely ripped off from the ski with heel and toe piece still attached to the top sheet. Now that is some delam. I have also seen Bonifides with similar but less severe damage.

I once came into the shop to discover a pair of broken in half XC skis. The first thought that came into my head was "late night drunken resort staff". It turned out I was 100% correct.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I once came into the shop to discover a pair of broken in half XC skis. The first thought that came into my head was "late night drunken resort staff". It turned out I was 100% correct.

On that note - I still have several "emergency" stick-on XC tips, in various widths.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you have a tillering type process to even out the flex, or is flex even relevant?

<-knows nothing about waterskis.

My waterskis are quite stiff by design and materials. I have experimented a bit trying for more flex and only had luck by changing the thickness. I know there are other ways to get flex but I haven't played much with them. I personally like as stiff a ski as I can build. I suffer in rough water but that might be me rather than too stiff skis.

I haven't noticed any correlation between stiffness and breakage in either water or snow skis.

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online