• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

British Journal Sports Medicine -> DIN too high for women skiers

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am having some really huge issues with the methods and logical expectations glossed over in the first paragraph.

Question: How much do we trust after-the-fact self-reported evaluation of release events?

"knee injured females still report an about 20 percent points higher failure of binding to release when compared to males [1,3]."

Does no one else see the 'my knee is injured therefore my binding must have failed' psychology here?

I assumed (yeah I know) that it was a simple yes or no question: "did your binding release?" Not "should your binding have released and didn't?"

Otherwise, I guess we have to read all the studies cited to find the answers.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I assumed (yeah I know) that it was a simple yes or no question: "did your binding release?" Not "should your binding have released and didn't?"

I am not prepared to assert that it is the binding's job to release in any possible knee injury scenario.

Because then binding designers would have to have godlike powers greater than those of ski instructors, and we all know that's unpossible.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for sharing the BMJ blog. This thread prompted the epidemiology geek in me to read a few scientific articles on ski injuries, methodology and findings of each. I may need to create an EndNote bibliography file on it now! Most studies seem to be performed in Europe, but Big Sky also seems to have a longstanding history of publishing in the field.

The most fascinating study to me involved the French study of ACL tear being 2.4 fold more frequent during pre-ovulatory phase for women; apparently the increased risk has been reported in other sports too.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877056813000935

James

Out There
Instructor
I am having some really huge issues with the methods and logical expectations glossed over in the first paragraph.

With a start like that, is it any wonder that the rest of the blog reads like statistics salad with chancy blue cheese* dressing?

*because that's the dressing that by definition includes mouldy rotten bits.

Nice. So the whole thing is a flaming bag of poo? I love the "self reported" non releases. A certain group will complain about pre releases, and the other non releases. There's no hard statistics to level the field.

The most fascinating study to me involved the French study of ACL tear being 2.4 fold more frequent during pre-ovulatory phase for women; apparently the increased risk has been reported in other sports too.

I sense an app coming for binding Din settings and fertility or vice versa.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So the whole thing is a flaming bag of poo?

Taken in one or two sentence blocks it seems to make sense but I really can't connect the observations in a meaningful let alone sound way. Maybe it's just me.

I sense an app coming for binding Din settings and fertility or vice versa.

Good fit for the other thread? That drifted off into womens' backcountry and didn't really stay frontside though.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Monique brings up a valid question about weight--buck nekked weight or weight with clothes and gear on? I give my buck nekked weight.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I think most people tend to lie about their weight in one way or another - either you don't want to tell someone what you really way or do you really want them to set you up with a P18.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
....The most fascinating study to me involved the French study of ACL tear being 2.4 fold more frequent during pre-ovulatory phase for women; apparently the increased risk has been reported in other sports too.

Yeah, I've seen that before. Has to do with relaxin, if I remember. Well, that's the theory. I think some is probably attributable to just being ... off. I always dreaded having tennis matches during that time. Being just a little ... off is not a game changer in soccer or skiing, at least for me, but in tennis, it was enough to be horribly annoying.