• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Brezovica

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Unfortunately no idea. Southwest that I have been skiing was Sarajevo, and even that looong time ago. No idea about Kosovo and how skiing is there. I heard some good stuff about ski outing and heli skiing in Albania, which is close, but no idea about Kosovo. Sorry :)

TS
A

Adam Wildavsky

Booting up
Skier
Getting there was interesting! The road was iced over and my host's rear-wheel drive vehicle wouldn't make it up the hill. Many others faced a similar predicament. Hoping the resort might not be far I got out and started walking. I stuck my thumb out and some locals with a 4WD vehicle gave me a ride the rest of the way - it turned out to be just a few hundred meters more.

The resort sports a half-dozen or more lifts, but only one was in operation. That's OK - one was all I needed!

There were several rental shacks. I picked the one nearest the lift and got a pair of Kästle skis for 6 EUR a day or so. The proprietor also lent me a pair of gloves and surprised me with a shot of the local hootch when I returned the equipment.

A lift ticket for the day was 18 Euro plus a 2 Euro deposit. One could also purchase a single ride for 3 Euro, or perhaps less if paying cash to the lift operators!

The slopes were good, better than the Eastern USA but not as good as the Western USA or the Alps. There were a few routes down or one could go off-piste and ski to the lift. Eventually, I discovered a longer off-piste route that involved skiing down a road and then walking uphill for three minutes to reach the lift.

There were a handful of snowmobiles around, mostly ferrying people who didn't want to make the five or ten-minute walk from one part of the resort to another. They might have been willing to take me to the backcountry but I did not ask.

There were a good number of restaurants, some offering quite tasty cuisine, and none expensive by Western standards. Most allowed smoking, but I managed.

In the middle of the day I learned that I'd be staying the night. I asked the restaurant where I was having lunch to recommend a hotel and they suggested the old communist hotel by the slopes. I had seen it since that's where the restrooms are. The entrance hallway has a slate floor, a hazard when wearing ski boots! A room for the night was 22 Euro or so. It was a low end place, but my room had a private bathroom with a shower and WiFi that worked most of the time, if I was in the right corner of the room. The desk clerk lent me an iPhone charger, vital since I'd not packed mine and could not find a shop to purchase one. They served a surprisingly good breakfast for another few Euro. Next time I'll try one of the several more upscale spots.

The lifts opened at 10 AM or so, though I was told the time could vary, and closed around 4.

The locals were helpful and friendly and I struck up a few conversations on the lift. Most of Kosovo consists of ethnic Albanians, but the resort is in a Serbian area and most of those who work there are Serbs.

I had a great time and would recommend it to anyone on a budget or with a sense of adventure.

Last edited:

Sponsor