• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Breck Spring Break, When Would You Book?

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
Greetings. I'm considering a Spring Break road trip to Breck the last week of March this year. Given the need for reservations, I'd want to purchase lift tickets before committing to lodging. With snow conditions being what they are so far, I was thinking of waiting and watching a while longer to see if any good package deals on lodging and lift tix get released. Breck has a promo on lodging right now, but a daily adult lift ticket is still running $179 and I'm not a passholder. This would be a somewhat impromptu (a.k.a. unbudgeted) trip so trying to keep costs in check a bit. Would appreciate any advice folks have on when to pull the trigger. I'm totally game to roll the dice and book last minute if people think it might actually result in some significant savings. Or am I being naive given the SB timing, even though it's the last week of March creeping into April? Been a long time since I've booked a ski trip out West so I don't have a good sense for when/if/how prices fluctuate.....recognizing of course that this year is anything but typical. Thank you.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I've never seen Vail discount lift tickets, at least not in recent memory for the time frame you are talking about. I have seen discounted tickets when they extended the season into May (Memorial Day) a couple years ago when the snow was really good. But they did not run all the lifts for that extended season.

Best deal on tickets + lesson is the beginner 3 days lessons + lift tickets. But I don't know if they are running that promotion right now either... it does not appear to be on their website for late march weekdays. Plus you have to consider the lesson to be added value for it to make sense...

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if prices drop you can renegotiate with vail/ cancel rebook. So the scenario expecting that some better sale will come up is a bit moot as you can still take advantage of it. So prices will only fluctuate up. If they go down they should resolve in customers favor.

If anything Vail will be fair when it comes to money....it is just that people are not happy with the sticker shock price or expect special treatment instead of fair treatment.

My only other advice other than the lodging packafe, is if you are up for a lesson/value a lesson take a look at lift+lesson package, even a 1day you maybe pleasantly suprised as if you are willing to pay 179, it wont be that much more to also get a lesson.

Be careful though that beginners packages that may have limited lift access.

Last edited:
TS
Lane Myer

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks much for the replies folks. I figured I was skewing towards the naive end of the spectrum, particularly after reading the recent Steamboat LT price increase news. Note to self on buying a pass next year. Cheers.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Have you considered an independent resort/ski area off the beaten path? Might be easier to stay flexible since you’re driving out.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ That. Especially given the week you are coming is spring break for some of the largest front range school districts. The resorts within day-trip distance from the front range will be mobbed, especially on the weekends.

I'm so happy we switched schools due to COVID and our spring break is now the first full week of April! :ogbiggrin:

TS
Lane Myer

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
Breckenridge was the site of my first CO spring break road trip as a kid and this will be my son's first so nostalgia is admittedly influencing my thinking some. Come to think of it, nostalgia has been one of my go to COVID coping mechanisms lately in general. Anyway, your points on geographic flexibility are well taken both in terms of snow and cost. I'll try to keep an open mind as I watch the weather, prices and COVID.

Sponsor

Staff online