• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi!

Headed to Breckenridge tomorrow and would love to get some recommendations for fun spots on the mountain (any ability level) and good après/dinner spots! Also all ears for a good demo shop!

apache

Booting up
Inactive
Hi!

Headed to Breckenridge tomorrow and would love to get some recommendations for fun spots on the mountain (any ability level) and good après/dinner spots! Also all ears for a good demo shop!
There are 2-3 Christy shops in town for demos. There's Racer's Edge for getting above average boot work done. Skiing Breck is about crowd management. One decent Mexican food place (can't think of the name). Drink lot's of water and go easy on the booze. Breck's altitude is no joke.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My favorite restaurants are in Frisco, Silverthorn and Dillon: Butterhorn (Eggy Bread with Fruit and Nuts), Hacienda Real, Sauce on the Blue, Mountain Lyon (Ultimate Skillet with Chorizo and Green Chile), Tacos Tequila (dynamite tripe tacos), Cafe ProFusion, Cheba Hut.

Last edited:

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
Eric's on Main Street in Breck has good burgers. Also endorse Racer's Edge for boot work.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I ski Breck lots, so I should probably post, although my Breck experience is idiosyncratic.

This season - If you're looking at any of the "terrain," expect to hit rocks. A lot more than usual at this time of year. I can't think of any "terrain" options that don't involve either "back of the hand" knowledge or dumb luck to avoid rocks.

I haven't been out since Saturday, so.

E Chair

The entrances to all the E Chair bump runs are hairy, although to be fair, that's almost always the case. The bump runs themselves are well covered, except for Tom's Baby. You can see that for yourself from the lift. Windows has been skiing surprisingly well, but if you don't know the high and low runouts, you want someone to guide you. Hint: If you're in the creek, you've gone too far.

Lower Peak 8

For bumps, High A(nxiety) has been great. Crescendo, too, for less intense bumps.

Upper Peak 8

I've seen people skiing Lake Chutes, so if hike-to is your thing ... it looks like the easier runs have crappy snow, while the harder runs have great snow, but massive cornices.

Whale's Tail has been skiing great. From there you *will* have to pick your way through a rock band regardless of the run you ski the rest of the way down. I've heard people talking about skiing CJ's, but I'm pretty sure this would still require carrying your skis or just sacrificing them entirely.

Imperial Bowl itself ... never my favorite, and right now it just looks like a rocky mess.

Horseshoe Bowl has some really great lines. Again, route finding through rocks is the challenge.

Chair 6

Avoid skiing directly below the lift line at all costs. It's literally the worst way to come down. Go wide to either side. This is true every season. You may see people building speed to traverse across, uphill, and into the trees. There's a reason they're doing that. B50 (the trees along the edge of Horseshoe Bowl) is my happy place. Contest Bowl has been skiing great (again, watch for rocks).

Shoot, I'm late for work. Basically "watch for rocks" ;-)

TS
Analisa

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skiing Breck is about crowd management.

Part of me agreeing to Breck with my siblings was the agreement that we didn't ski through the weekend. Or are you doomed no matter what day you go?

Basically "watch for rocks" ;-)

Ha! I definitely picked up on a theme! Good to know - my local resort is generally only 50% open when there's less than 50 inches and I was so confused how they had opened so much terrain!

apache

Booting up
Inactive
Part of me agreeing to Breck with my siblings was the agreement that we didn't ski through the weekend. Or are you doomed no matter what day you go?

Ha! I definitely picked up on a theme! Good to know - my local resort is generally only 50% open when there's less than 50 inches and I was so confused how they had opened so much terrain!
You can find some great skiing mid-week at Breck. I avoid Breck on weekends and holidays. But then again, I do the same at a lot of places.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I like the house margaritas at Empire Burger. Their burgers are excellent.

2 for 1 Martini Happy Hours early and late at Blue River Bistro. Good big plates of delicious food, too.

Monique summarized the conditions well. I haven't been since early last week so I can offer no opinions.

Crowds aren't bad midweek when there aren't big events or college/school vacations. Upper mountain is the place to avoid the crowds on weekends. But sometimes its Peak 6 or Peak 10 that have ski on lifts with no lines.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
If you have a car spend at least one day at Abasin. It's a sweet mountain! Some gnarly terrain for sure!! Without a doubt one to check off the list if you haven't been. If your epic it's free and if not will be a cheaper walk up rate than Breck for sure.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Definitely take the altitude seriously. We got some of those Oxygen canisters and found they help a lot.
Used them mostly before bedtime.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If you have a car spend at least one day at Abasin. It's a sweet mountain! Some gnarly terrain for sure!! Without a doubt one to check off the list if you haven't been. If your epic it's free and if not will be a cheaper walk up rate than Breck for sure.

Went to A Basin today, I would avoid it until it gets a lot more snow. The wind hammered the slopes. Its pretty rough out there except in a few areas. The hill is really beat up.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Went to A Basin today, I would avoid it until it gets a lot more snow. The wind hammered the slopes. Its pretty rough out there except in a few areas. The hill is really beat up.
Seems a lot of places are hurting right now. It's definitely a really exposed mountain

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Oh - on the après topic, I'm quite fond of the Quandry, although that may be because it's the closest bar/food to my condo. They have some great apps and a happy hour deal that unfortunately only goes to 5pm.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Be sure to stand in line for 45 minutes on Main Street to buy a crepe and have no place to sit down. That seems to be a Breck rite of passage, for some reason.

I never understood that one. I still haven't done it. My only street vendor crepe so far is the one I had in Val D'Isere in '77.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll second the Blue River Bistro. We've been there a once or twice a year for 10 years or so and always enjoyed it.

We tried the Kenosha Steak House recently and I enjoyed the BBQ plate. My wife thought the service was a bit slow and they should sweep the floor, but hey, it's a ski town. I feel for the restaurants, or any business for that matter, trying to find and retain good staff.

Never tried the crepes, but always marveled at the line. Thanks for the laugh @Chris Walker.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Had a few solid beers at Broken Compass last week. Good vibe in that place.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Had a few solid beers at Broken Compass last week. Good vibe in that place.

Ya, if you don't mind stepping over dog poo in a bar. I like their beer but the attitude can be downright obnoxious. Definitely avoid trivia night.

Sponsor

Staff online