• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boutique/indy skis

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ski otter 2 Your description of the 190cm Bibbys has me convinced there is a tune “issue” on them as they are less playful than the shorter length but shouldn’t be THAT much different as you’re describing. The symptoms of more effort needed and inability to ski at lower speeds etc mirror my experiences when I first got my Bibby’s with a typical “sharp tip to tail up to the widest point on the taper” tune on them. They were very catchy and didn’t pivot as well as I’d hoped. Actually had a spectacular high speed crash catching an edge the first day on them.

Like every ski, first check for base flatness and stone grind first to flatten if needed. I’m currently 0 for 28 for flat skis from the factory in the last 7 years but hopefully others are luckier. :huh:
After stone grind or if the ski isn’t too bad, an important step is to first check for edge high areas with a mill bastard file held flat on a 45 to prevent flexing. Lightly drag from tip to tail to ensure no areas catch. If so, use the file in that area until it no longer catches while cleaning the file often. VERY COMMON to have edge high spots near the tip/tail. Before learning this step, I was always detuning or increasing base bevels with poor/mixed results.
After removing high points, set your base/side bevel up to the taper point on your MB 108 and to the contact point on the Bibby’s.

Then file on a 45 followed by diamond stones on a 45 from the tip to that above/below the widest part of the taper(or Bibby contact point) so it’s nice and smooth. Since the areas above the taper aren’t in contact with firm snow, it will not effect edge grip but will reduce topsheet chipping when hitting tip together in bumps etc. Mindbenders will appreciate this step!

The Bibby’s will be a totally different ski after following these steps and should be far easier to pivot, way easier in crud, in heavy snow yet still carve or hold an edge when required.

Why I’m so excited about the new Wildcats is that the current 190cm Wildcat has a lower swing weight the the old 184cm Bibby while floating in powder better than the 190cm Bibby. The 2021 version should continue that while improving dampness and crud performance to Bibby(or better) levels.
Reading your recent review post and seeing how much our findings on most skis are similar, I think it might be your dream powder ski too!

But check your tunes on your Bibby’s first as I think you are about to rediscover their greatness! Just have to wait till next season to test them though....boooo!

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Speaking of boutiques these just arrived;

Praxis.jpeg

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Jackson Pollock on a bad day? OK the name Praxis is the moon of Kronos (Klingon home world) that blew up? That might explain these off putting graphics. This must be like the old saying "if it's too loud, you must be too old"...I don't get these graphics at all. That might not do justice to the ski, but I'm put to mind a quote from Bob Lutz (google him) "it's just a expensive to build an ugly car as a beautiful one". Sorry I must have gotten up grumpy.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Jackson Pollock on a bad day? OK the name Praxis is the moon of Kronos (Klingon home world) that blew up? That might explain these off putting graphics. This must be like the old saying "if it's too loud, you must be too old"...I don't get these graphics at all. That might not do justice to the ski, but I'm put to mind a quote from Bob Lutz (google him) "it's just a expensive to build an ugly car as a beautiful one". Sorry I must have gotten up grumpy.
I really like them. They look like a bit like planks from an old barn that's been painted a bunch of times and weathered.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
To each their own. I was "weaned" on bill board graphics, clean readable, and the ski model and company name are clear at 10 meters. THE Ski graphics, the original Hexcel, same era Head skis, the old K2 255. But this company isn't looking for me and I've very happy they have found skiers fond of this style of graphics. Currently Head and Fischer are doing top skins that I like. But I believe this conversation has come up before, wishing old graphics came back.

Attachments

• Marker M4 Ski Binding Complete Assembly 1.jpg
    Marker M4 Ski Binding Complete Assembly 1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 16

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
To each their own. I was "weaned" on bill board graphics, clean readable, and the ski model and company name are clear at 10 meters. THE Ski graphics, the original Hexcel, same era Head skis, the old K2 255. But this company isn't looking for me and I've very happy they have found skiers fond of this style of graphics. Currently Head and Fischer are doing top skins that I like. But I believe this conversation has come up before, wishing old graphics came back.

I have little doubt you are a big box ski buyer.......

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Jealous. I had the 192s in 4 for 5 days before I realized I just wasn’t up for it. 185 in that ski would be $$$ for me.

Should you ever ski Luv and want to swap some other Indy skis—let me know. (I’ve got moment, praxis, hinterland, pmgear and down — some with demo clamps other mounted to about 312 with adjustment range.)

TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
9D8's #4 flex, heavy core, 185s, Abstract top sheet. For those low snow days where I am feeling like cranking groomer laps, with some flexibility if the mood strikes. They are getting mounted with pivots.
Definitely put up a review when you get them going. 100 width seems a bit on the wider side to me primarily for low snow days. That said, if I like my GPOs and wanted to try another model Praxis then I was thinking that would probably be it. What do you currently use for those days?

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^ I have been skiing J Skis 181 Masterblasters for low tide for the last couple of years. Tip to tip the 178/178.5. They are great skis lotsa fun in many conditions. Quick, stable, stout enough to bust crude the day after a snow. But not quite the stability I want when the speeds get really high. In fact towards the end of last year I found myself taking the K2 MB 108TIs (179, actually a tad longer than the J Skis tip to tip) out on days that seemed like the Masterblasters would be the tool of choice. Consequently (along with a desire to help out a small manufacturer thats makes great skis in these strange times) I ordered the Praxis to fill the low tide role.

Quiver.jpeg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Quandary you seem to have found room in your quiver for both the Woodsman 116 and Billygoat?

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Quandary you seem to have found room in your quiver for both the Woodsman 116 and Billygoat?

The Billy Goats are the best powder ski I have ever been on, I love them. However I have not quite got the asymmetrical thing down on hard pack. I am in Breck and there are many days where you want to be on a big ski but can't get to the top until later in the morning due to the blasting but the bottom is mostly groomed. Same thing goes for stash hunting at Vail. So rather than going in and switching skis when the t-bar opens (wasting valuable time) I thought I'd get the Woodsman 116 for those days.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
For those looking for non big brand skis for low tide days but want something playful with a progressive mount, the new Faction Candide 1.0 and 2.0 have been updated with some metal underfoot and rubber damping to keep them quiet. 2150 grams in the 92mm wide 183cm 1.0 and 2250 grams for the 102mm 183cm 2.0 has me interested. Slightly directional now so should carve better and much more stable than before. Very intrigued to try them out this season!!

MasterBlaster one of the few choices in this width range currently but not the greatest on firm snow and the longest length cumbersome. New versions apparently coming in narrower and wider lengths in the next few years.

Black Crows Justis another interesting daily driverbut not cheap.

Got my new Moment Wildcats mounted the other day and now all tuned up!

07174610-12C2-45DB-A0B2-BE13BAF1FEF7.jpeg

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Any thoughts on the Moment Hot Mess? Saw the review thread on Ski Diva, but haven't found much else.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
For those looking for non big brand skis for low tide days but want something playful with a progressive mount, the new Faction Candide 1.0 and 2.0 have been updated with some metal underfoot and rubber damping to keep them quiet. 2150 grams in the 92mm wide 183cm 1.0 and 2250 grams for the 102mm 183cm 2.0 has me interested. Slightly directional now so should carve better and much more stable than before. Very intrigued to try them out this season!!

MasterBlaster one of the few choices in this width range currently but not the greatest on firm snow and the longest length cumbersome. New versions apparently coming in narrower and wider lengths in the next few years.

Black Crows Justis another interesting daily driverbut not cheap.

Got my new Moment Wildcats mounted the other day and now all tuned up!

View attachment 111497
I have a similar quiver to yours (Liberty V76 - Rustler 9). if you did not have the enforcer free 104, would you have picked the wildcat 108 or 116?

Last edited:

Sponsor