• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

unassumingpanda

looking for my poles
Skier
Hello,
I just went skiing for the second time and I know that I want to invest in it. The rental boots never fit and make the trip less enjoyable so I have decided to buy myself ski boots. I am comfortable on blue and green runs and feel like I am progressing quickly. Does anyone know any good places in VA to buy ski boots? I have a budget of $300 and am planning on buying at the end of the season to save some money. Does anyone have any tips on what to look for or shopping stratagies?
Thanks

P.S. I am 14 male 5'6" and 200lbs

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's a semi-big state - where in VA are you?

Generally the best strategy is to find a reputable bootfitter, get some extremely thin socks on, and tell them your budget up front.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
The fitting is included in the price of the boots if you purchase there, and the boots are priced the same as big box stores, they may have sale boots as well. Foot beds would be extra.

At least talk to Brian before settling. He is awesome.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
can they cater to my low budget? The custom boot fitting seems expensive.
Honestly, we don't know what we are dealing with..that we included you. I cannot tell you how many times someone has come to me and said, "I have the worst feet ever..." and it wasn't a problem and they were in and out in a short period of it in new boots. Now, with you, at 5'6" and 200 lb's..there might be some calf issues to deal with ;).

If you can go to someone reputable, make it known of the budget you have and that you have to stay within it. A good fitter will understand and help you find something in yoru budget, if he doesn't have it...he will probably make some recommedations to look for, check back in here and I am sure someone here might be able to help you find it. To spend $300 on the wrong boot will end up being much more costly and you are no further along than where you are now and spending 350 or even $400 could be much on the correct boot could end up being less expensive in the long run.

At 14, have mom and/or dad read these suggestions especially if they are not skiers so they understand that the boots are the most inportant piece of gear and that there are very different fits out there along with that we are trying to help you save in the long run.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Freestyle in Charlottesville has a pretty good rep though I can't speak for any of their bootfitters.

At 14, do you think you'll be growing out of the boots? If so, you might want to learn as much as you can about how a bit should fit and how fitting works, then find something used or cheap (which is not at all anything I'd normally recommend... but if you're foot is still growing it might make sense).

Perhaps someone else has more experience getting boots for someone your age.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
At 14, do you think you'll be growing out of the boots? If so, you might want to learn as much as you can about how a bit should fit and how fitting works, then find something used or cheap (which is not at all anything I'd normally recommend... but if you're foot is still growing it might make sense).

Perhaps someone else has more experience getting boots for someone your age.

This is actually very good advice. My son outgrew his boots rapidly during his teenage years. He was a junior in high school when his feet finally stabilized and stopped growing. Prior to that, we took him to ski shows/swaps and purchased boots that were a recreational fit to allow for him to get a couple of seasons out of them. I am not a boot fitter, just a mom, so I just did a basic shell fit.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some shops (including Pro Fit) used to offer trade-in programs for boots and equipment. That is, you bought boots/boots one year then came back in the following year and bought new boots/skis and they gave you x% for your old boots/skis. I’m not sure if this still exists or not.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi @unassumingpanda & welcome to Pugski! :wave: You’ve found an excellent resource for all things skiing:daffy:

It’s impressive you want to buy boots after only 2 times on the slopes, even more so that you found pugski and put this question out there! I skied for over a decade in rental boots because I didn’t know any better, it’s just what everyone did.

I concur with @dbostedo & @Pat AKA mustski. Additionally, one thing to consider is that whatever boot you get now will very likely be your “starter boot.” You will either grow out it or just outski it in a few years, depending on how often you get to ski, your progression, etc, So that might be a factor in how much you want to spend on a boot now vs investing more on your 2nd pair of boots in few years that will last you much longer after your feet stop growing. Plus you’ll know more about skiing and what you like/dislike about your boots then.

This is actually very good advice. My son outgrew his boots rapidly during his teenage years. He was a junior in high school when his feet finally stabilized and stopped growing. Prior to that, we took him to ski shows/swaps and purchased boots that were a recreational fit to allow for him to get a couple of seasons out of them. I am not a boot fitter, just a mom, so I just did a basic shell fit.

I’m sure you will ski better and be more comfortable skiing if you do go to a good bootfitter, however, at your level you’re not looking for the same super precise fit that some people on here with decades of experience want. The major caveat is never ski in boots that are very painful, you could be doing damage.

Some people at a shop might try to sell you on expensive custom footbeds (orthotics), but again right now (as long as you don’t need custom orthotics for your regular shoes) a pair of superfeet insoles (or similar) that fits your arch well would be an excellent addition to whatever boot you get. https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals?filter=snow-sport

Finally, and perhaps paradoxical to the concern of outgrowing a ski boot, the #1 mistake most first time boot buyers make is getting them too big. The first time you put on a correctly fitting ski boot it will be the tightest thing you have ever had on your foot, that’s what you want! However, know they will loosen up and “pack out” over time, they won’t be that tight forever. Good luck finding boots! Keep reading (the search function is very handy!) & asking questions.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
at 14 maybe look into a seasonal rental program fro a local ski shop. You will likely be outgrowing any boots you would buy and have to start over again next season.

TS
unassumingpanda

unassumingpanda

looking for my poles
Skier
Finally, and perhaps paradoxical to the concern of outgrowing a ski boot, the #1 mistake most first time boot buyers make is getting them too big. The first time you put on a correctly fitting ski boot it will be the tightest thing you have ever had on your foot, that’s what you want! However, know they will loosen up and “pack out” over time, they won’t be that tight forever.
Would it be reasonable to buy them a bit big so I can get more seasons out of them?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Would it be reasonable to buy them a bit big so I can get more seasons out of them?

I don't think that's a good idea. A boot that is too big is likely to cause both control/skills development issues, and comfort/pain issues. (It may be counterintuitive, but sometimes a looser boot lets your foot slide around too much and you get all kinds of rubbing, blisters, pressure points, scrunched toes, etc. Comfort when sitting in the lodge doesn't always equal comfort on the slopes.)

Learning how boots are supposed to fit, wearing the right socks, and using rental boots of the right size (which often isn't what they give you by default), would be better.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not big ... but it is ok to buy recreational fit boots (ie: 2 fingers behind the heel) as opposed to performance fit (ie: one finger the heel) when standing in the shell with the toes brushing the front of the boot. It is still VERY important that the boots fit snugly on the sides of your feet (brushing the sides of the shell when the liner is out). When the liner is in, the boot should feel like a firm handshake and there should be no lifting of the heel; it should be well snugged in without having to crank down on the buckles. Your feet will likely continue to grow in length at your age but not in width. This is how I purchased boots for my son until his feet stopped growing. We would get two seasons out of a boot that way.

TS
unassumingpanda

unassumingpanda

looking for my poles
Skier
I am saving rig
Not big ... but it is ok to buy recreational fit boots (ie: 2 fingers behind the heel) as opposed to performance fit (ie: one finger the heel) when standing in the shell with the toes brushing the front of the boot. It is still VERY important that the boots fit snugly on the sides of your feet (brushing the sides of the shell when the liner is out). When the liner is in, the boot should feel like a firm handshake and there should be no lifting of the heel; it should be well snugged in without having to crank down on the buckles. Your feet will likely continue to grow in length at your age but not in width. This is how I purchased boots for my son until his feet stopped growing. We would get two seasons out of a boot that way.
how much would be reasonable to spend on boots? I am saving right now to buy at end of season (sales), and have a goal of $300 is that enough?

Sponsor

Staff online