• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boots for the Downhill

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Looking for tech boots better suited to the downhill than uphill. My perfect alpine boot is a Lange, 100 width.

Suggestions totally welcome.

Thanks so much.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Then stick with Lange XT Free LV / Rossi Alltrack Elite LT. Great boots for skiing, but a bit heavy and not that perfect for uphill. I actually got them about a month ago (Rossi version), and love them for skiing part, but I still pick Atomic Hawx xtd ultra 130 for my touring boot when using heavier skis (for light ones I'm on Dynafit TLT), even if those Atomic are sort of against what I should ski ;) When I go for freeride with lifts, I always go with my soft race boots (Rossi WC Hero ZC) and I was honestly surprised how great Alltrack is skiing. Sure it's not race boot, but still much better then I thought. But yeah, for anything a bit longer on uphill it's still not really right boot.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Eh sorry I saw your "laughable comment" too late. Next suggestion, Atomic Hawx xtd ultra 130... they walk relatively good, and with my heavy setup (Rossi Super7 with frame bindings) I made some 5 to 6h tours already, so they are capable even of that, and they still ski quite good. Not the way Rossi does, but still far from bad :)

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Their walk feature is laughable. Have a pair of XTs.

I'd look at either a 6-7lb Grilamid boot like the Maestrale RS, La Sportiva Syncro, Zero G Pro, Hoji Pro, Hawx Ultra. Middle widths usually fit in the Scarpas and Hojis best.

In the past, you really had to choose between a flimsy uphill boot by the skimo brands or a clunky boot like the XT Freetours by a traditional downhill brand, but now that carbon-infused Grilamid is so common on the market that there are a lot of good options that ski well.

Lupos and FT Ascendants are a little heavier like the XTs, but at least the cuff rotation angle is really wide to help compensate. Plus the pricing is a lot sharper.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Atomic Hawx XTD 130. I use them in the resort when I'm going to ski 3D snow. They tour beautifully and since they can be heat molded, fit is excellent. I had the Lange FreeTour when it first came out. The DH performance isn't as good as the Atomic and I agree that the walk mode is pretty lame.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Thanks all. Just had a two day private with someone skiing in Maestrales. He really likes them. Will have to try all that were mentioned.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Técnica Cochise 130, 99mm last, burly as all hell, tech fittings.