• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dan Heffernan

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Trying to decide on new boots! I've had the same basic boots for several years and am very excited for this big upgrade. I'm an advanced/expert skier and prefer to ski in un-groomed off-piste snow (e.g. back bowls at Vail), but rarely go full backcountry or touring. I live on the east coast so I want a boot that will hold up on groomers, but that's not my top priority.

I'm having trouble deciding if an all-mountain boot or freeride boot is better for me. I've been looking mostly at Salomon's X-Pro 120 vs. the QST Pro 120, but am open to other suggestions as well. I know one of the big differences is freeride skis having walk-mode, which would be nice, but isn't 100% necessary since I don't really do any touring. I'm more interested in the effects of the weight difference and comfort level in going off bumps and landing, etc.

If anyone can provide any insight I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think it’s more about fit and the right level of stiffness. I always have a tough time with these factors (especially fit) to worry about the type of boot. That said, if you can get the right fit and stiffness from either type then you will have a decision to make. I’d probably let my wallet decide at that point unless I really needed a touring boot.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The one that fits your foot the best. Most has to do with marketing verses actual performance.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Last time I went in for boots I went to a fitter I trusted, told him (honestly) how I skied and let him decide what would work best. I was clear that I didn't care what brand or "type" of boot it was. I ended up with a perfect boot that FIT. Trust your bootfitter and you will be happy with the result.

Sponsor

Staff online