• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Booting up and Bag Drop at Wildcat and Attitash?

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I am going to be skiing at Wildcast and Attitash later this week. Is there a good place to boot up and stash our boot bags in the morning?

Thanks

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Wildcat has tons of cubbies- 1 base lodge very large & never packed. I skied Thanksgiving weekend and had no issues stashing my bag.

Attitash has cubbies, hooks, & bag check (at both base lodges). Skied there yesterday and again no issues....well except that they no longer have a Waffle Cabin

TS
Miller

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
Boot up at the car? What kind of savage do you think I am.

Seriously though, when I ski with my family, I prefer to boot up inside. It makes the process so much easier and I like having a bag to come back to if someone needs to shed a layer or a different pair of gloves.

@frontfive, thanks for the info.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Why don’t you just boot up at your car?
Absolutely Barbaric. :D

Once we were on our way driving to Fla in Jan. Got an very early start and stopped on the NJ turnpike for a quick breakfast. In next booth over there was a group of guys all with their ski boots on, they said they were on their way to Killington.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Absolutely Barbaric. :D

Once we were on our way driving to Fla in Jan. Got an very early start and stopped on the NJ turnpike for a quick breakfast. In next booth over there was a group of guys all with their ski boots on, they said they were on their way to Killington.

What a bunch of goofs!

But seriously, you can’t walk from your car to the lift with your gear on? This extra step of carrying your gear to the lodge to get suited there sounds so unnecessary and stressful to me. I’ve lived in ski towns for 25 years now and no mountain town locals ever do that.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
What a bunch of goofs!

But seriously, you can’t walk from your car to the lift with your gear on? This extra step of carrying your gear to the lodge to get suited there sounds so unnecessary and stressful to me. I’ve lived in ski towns for 25 years now and no mountain town locals ever do that.

I too live in a ski town & I think there are various pros/cons to both methods. For example if I am skiing local I suit up at home & drive to the mountains with my boots on (if I'm a passenger), and with the left ski boot on, right snow boot if I am the driver. Park strategically & ski to the lift (with a season pass).

If I am visiting a different (non-season pass) mountain I always trek my bag inside. 1) need to purchase a ticket, 2) probably need to use the restroom 3) want to scope out the lodge to determine if I want to splurge for lunch or eat my brown bag, 4) I typically travel in the car with a light coat or sweater vs. my ski jacket therefore need to remove some layers- but add on others, 5) its much easier in non home territory to have all your belongings in one central area. If someone thinks I look like a tourist vs. a local I could care less

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
What a bunch of goofs!

I think this is somewhat regional. In the NE it's usually cold, windy, dreary and mucky in the parking lots so booting up inside is more common at least in my relatively limited experience.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am going to be skiing at Wildcast and Attitash later this week. Is there a good place to boot up and stash our boot bags in the morning?

Thanks

As mentioned, Wildcat has enough cubbies to go around, they have plenty in the second and third floor while the basement just a few. The parking lot is a gravel lot so it can either be mud, snow, pockets or sheets of ice. Majority of visitors boot up inside. In addition, the place will leave half of the black and blue trails ungroomed and they tend to have a low bar on opening a trail, the regulars know where the section of ditches and water run off. The summit with respect to the base is ~ 3k feet and temps difference on average is about 8 deg, sometimes more. Like Cannon, conditions can drastically different from the summit to the lower trails.

Been to Attitash just once, its not my cup of tea.