• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bootfitting for the modern freerider?

eluder

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I feel good about my approach and what I can do as a fitter but am also always learning. I have had the fortunes of working with some really good skiers to get their boots dialed but am looking for some insight on what some of you do for sponsored athletes that are pushing the limits of the sport but also have obligations to use products that the sponsors give them.

I am also curious about your approach to top level skiers that are using their boots in ways they really weren't designed for. How committed of a fit do go after for a skier that is skiing big lines but is also buttering and landing switch off of large natural features. I am really just curious to what some other fitters approach is to skiers with these needs as it is not your everyday fit... at least not at our shop.

Feel free to private message me if you would prefer that over responding to this thread.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not a boot fitter but see this question raised all the time on Newschoolers.com with kids asking “what’s the best park boot” to which the worlds best fitters reply “the one that fits your foot”. Lots of pro freeride and freestyle skiers in race boots as those are the boots that fit their feet the best. A properly fitting boot will aid in more powerful race turns or butters and prevent shin bag and bruised toes on freestyle skiers.

Boot fitters are just looking for boots within the sponsored companies models to best fit that skiers foot. One of the only differences between “freeride/freestyle boots” and “race/on piste” boots is that the freeride ones will sometimes have shock absorbing material built into the shell or footbed. So fitters that are not using those boots on a client will make sure to use shock absorbing insoles or liners that have footbeds with material to aid in softer landings.

Proper shell size will also reduce shin bang as do Booster Straps around the liners which are again used by racers and pro park/freeride skiers alike.

Post this question on Newschoolers.com in the Gear section to get lots of other boot fitters input on this but it seems it’s not much different than a sponsored racer except for maybe added shock absorption if the shell/factory liner doesn’t have much.

Sponsor

Staff online