• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bootfitter’s Checklist? Flowchart? Process?

jyl

Getting on the lift
Skier
You know the story of the blind men feeling up an elephant. Depending on what part of the elephant they are touching, each man thinks he’s found something different - a snake, a tree, etc.

I’ve been reading threads on boot setup here, and you all go into such deep detail on each aspect that I get confused. Is it a snake or a tree?

It occurred to me that maybe there is a
systematic process that experienced bootfitters use when a bootless skiier walks into their shop and asks “please assess me, choose boots, and set them up, down to the last detail”. Like, suppose you are training a rookie bootfitter, and the eager puppy has his or her notebook ready to copy down the process step by step. With long experience you do much of it subconsciously, but Trainee needs it spelled out, like 1 then 2 then 3…

I’m imagining it might look something like

1. Feet. Length, width, arch, instep, toes, protruberances, injury history, duck-foot, pigeon-toed, size/shape change standing, coldness

2. Ankle. Size, flexibility, injury history (I’m going to stop noting this, surely applies to everything), protruberances

3. Calf. Size, shape

4. Legs. Straightness, bow-legged, knock-kneed, knee track as legs bend

4. Body. Proportions, center of mass, total mass and general fitness, notable disabilities

5. Skiier type and temperament

6. Accessories. Does skiier use heated footbed, Carv, anything that could affect fit

7. Select boot with appropriate volume, shape, calf, flex, ease of getting in/out, binding compatibility. Set cuff lean to desired knee position (over toe?) and cuff alignment to match lower legs

8. Select or make footbed, as foot requires

9. Mold liner or modify shell for pressure points

10. Adjust footbed angle if skiier ankle flex is too limited to pressure boot

11. Cant boots if needed

12. Show skiier how to put on, buckle, remove, care for boots

13. Receive unabashed adoration and munificent payment, modestly deflect the worship

Is it anything like that? Or did I just write something completely fictious?

(I had my first ever bootfitting this year, the pain disappeared so magically that I’ve become mildly obsessed with how bootfitters ply their craft. I’ve also been playing with lean and stiffness on my boots, trying to understand what works and doesn’t for me.)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Well, a little simpler...

Sponsor

Staff online